Cause i can

Just going to put this right here and see if anyone learns something and maybe catches up… without causing too many trolls to come out of the woodworks…

Ethanol extraction of d9 containing trim
Done at -40C
Passed through bag filter then lenticular

Solvent was removed using falling film/roto

Material was decarbed on a spd under vac. Bf was brough to 140C then allowed to cool to 100C with stir and vac on.

Placed in the hopper of a wiper. Distilled at 170C/100C at a vac depth of 200 micron in the system next to the column… before the cold trap.

Material was diluted with heptane

Heptane solution was 1:1 with product.

Brine was mixed at a ratio of 20lbs to 20gal of ro water

1:1 ratio of heptane solution with brine was mixed vigorously in a glass reactor. 2 table spoons of citric acid were added. This brought the pH to around 4-5

Mix lasted for 5 minutes, after separation, water layer was removed and discarded… this was repeated 4 more times

Again brine was added but during mixing sodium bicarbonate was added until saturation at 8.4 pH. If black emulsion was seen, water was drained with as much emulsion as possible and then the low pH washes were repeated another 5 times.

Once done. pH 8.4 is used until water layer is no longer pink.

One more low pH wash is done, and as much water is removed as possible. Crucial.

The heptane solution was passed over magsil at a rate of 2L product to 2.25” of length in a 6” diameter column. Gravity feed, no assist.

Immediately after being recovered from column, solution is placed in reactor, again passed against citric acid once, then twice with a neutral pH, no buffer added. All water is considered brine as prepared above.

Solution is rotod down and contents are placed in wiper hopper.

After a quick solvent strip on the wiper at 7L/hr. 166C/100C vac around 1-2 torr in the system.

Once dry, diffusion pump is kicked on and system parameters are as such.

Hopper 90C
Feed line 160C
Jacket 170C
Condenser 100C
First trap -20C
Second trap -90C
Vac depth in system next to main column before both traps. 70-90mtorr. After traps 10^-5 or 10^-6… it jumps around…

Feed rate is 6L/hr, 5L/hr is removed via distillate side. 1L or less is recirculated via residue side. Until material is scrubbed dry… all liters come out like this. Almost no residue in the end.

79 Likes

That’s super nice looking, I’ve always wanted to learn how to make disty, wish I had the materials to do so.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Also, I see that the ph level is missing here, if I may ask, what is the ph after this step?

4 Likes

I feel like someone hit me in the nose with a rolled up sports section.

Nice job.

8 Likes

Welcome back, and thanks for that awesome view at your process!!!

10 Likes

Jesus. Talented man right here guys!

3 Likes

What kind of tubing do you use to keep the feed line at 160 c?

3 Likes

My vote for MoM lol

6 Likes

Breaking dabs can be everybodies mom!

2 Likes

Fixed

1 Like

Mcmaster has some heated ptfe inside stainless. From there i go into solid stainless compression fittings

Whats MoM?

2 Likes

Member of the Month

4 Likes

Oh. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Welcome back tho

3 Likes

ditto…

2 Likes

Well done as always.

3 Likes

i still havent seen your presentation to ACS can you share a link this time?

1 Like

Very nice! Submitted for test results?

2 Likes

95%?!

I hope so! Great work!!

I’ve always thought water washes should be SOP when making disty. I would like to clean out heavies before running first pass. If there’s any sulphur or pesticides in the crude you could cause isomers during your first pass? (speaking from experience :frowning: )

3 Likes