Butane liquid transfer pump

which was why I went to Haskel rather than you lot first :wink:

if they didn’t want me using it that way, why write numbers on the label that can be interpreted no other way?

2 Likes

You’ve apparently not bought enough used cars my good friend, it’s always in the fine print. It’s the technical superposition theory: you may only reach the limits of each of the desirable technical specifications individually, never at the same time lol. To be fair, the pump can definitely do it, they just don’t want to warrantee the parts. Not that Haskel really does that anyways

2 Likes

And why can’t we use a liquid transfer pump like we use for hexane and heptane. N butane doesn’t exceed 50 psi in normal circumstances and definitely shouldn’t exceed 100 psi

1 Like

Are you saying you still in a liquid phase by the time your hitting the EXT? What is temp your going into the pump?

It needs to be at vapor by the time it hits the pump. We see a lack of gas volume being generated in a lot of cases which slows down recovery… Especially the guys that are trying to overcome backpressure in the recovery side as the butane needs to be cold and going to liquid before it hits the tank (and after the recovery pump and it will “wick” drawing the gas thermally which really helps when you get down to the end of the run and pulling vacuum. Correctly sized coils and a good chiller ( or a good dry ice setup ) will get any back pressure issues under control.

No. I’m saying that I’d like to use the pump for liquid.

It is rated for 1250psi butane. At 600psi it is impossible for the butane to NOT (thanks @SidViscous) be liquid. (See phase diagram above).

ipso facto the pump must work with liquid (unless the numbers on the label are complete horse shit).

I’d like to understand why that might not be true. You certainly don’t seem to buy the logic…

As @Apothecary36 notes, I won’t be much above 50PSI (which will still mean liquid!! )

Looking to circulate over opaline silica as I have in the past. Hoping to use the tools I have, because they look to be rated for the task.

2 Likes

You can. The debeem boxers work great. The stainless ones inspire more confidence imo

I’ve got one…but I’ve also got six ext420’s

Just call me recyclopath…

4 Likes

I think you meant to say impossible to not be liquid.

The pump will pump liquid. If the discharge pressure gets too high, it will stall. As long as it doesn’t try to pump supercritical or solid you’re pretty much good

1 Like

Jesus lol

1 Like

Yep I did. And I’m gonna go change it.

Really shouldn’t get on here until I’ve actually gotten my coffee in me.

I’m also just gonna have to see for myself how this works. Although I’ll probably try poking at Haskel again just for completeness.

Thanks for the fact checking and reassurance

2 Likes

re confirming the ext420 will pump liquid.
plumb the bypass discharges appropriately.
they WILL leak at dry ice liquid temperature.

just remember that your downstream fittings, gauges and vessels need to be rated for HIGH pressure as these pumps are unforgiving.

3 Likes

Thank you! (Again).

Not planning on running cold. Recirculating out of my collection pot through my CRC and back to the pot.

I’ve played this game before using a debeem boxer.

Never saw pressures above 100psi. Will add a prv that vents to an evacuated solvent tank, and plumb the vent to the same location (assuming sucking on the vent doesn’t open the damn thing).

3 Likes

I like this…

2 Likes

I linked the opaline silica thread earlier, but having just re-explored it, I suggest skipping the first 130 posts and starting with

Feel free to crawl up thread, but start with the wizards explanation…

2 Likes

Thank you!

I read most of that thread prior to that comment back when it was originally made!

His explanation of recycling until reaching the desired color, was perfect…

3 Likes

I’m trying to recircuate thru ffe

4 Likes

Me too :shushing_face:

(Getting two birds stoned and all that…)

6 Likes

Not trying to derail the thread just saw a perfect opportunity to make a meme.

Please continue with the conversation.

2 Likes

The basic EXT420 design is a refrigerant transfer pump. that is the 59025 and its rated to pull both liquid and gas refrigerant. The EXT was dressed as a viton trimmed. parallel pump version of the 59025-3. We have never addressed the possibility of running butane through in liquid state since the pump has only been used for gas recovery from the heating of the collection vessel and cooling and pumping back to the recovery tank. If you guys have more process input I think we need to explore this… My partner Joe (FLWNW-710 is on vacation right now. I handle the straight mechanicals. He’s out in the field constantly and comes across all kinds of “what ifs”. I want to get him in on this thread asap.

2 Likes

Yeah they never warrant seals… But i did get them to take in a brand new 59025 that was short-stroking out of the box…

2 Likes