Butane liquid transfer pump

Anyone know of a pump that could safely pimp liquid butane and create a good amount of output pressure (~200-300 psi)?

1 Like

Not sure on the upper pressure rating, but I’ve spent weeks in the room with a debem foodboxer circulating a 70/30 mix at 50psi

Turning on the plastic one for the first time made me nervous (probably the second & third times too). The stainless version seemed like a better idea.

Sambo Creek uses the plastic one on their filter trolley.

4 Likes

Hello Krative, that is a very high pressure. I am concerned that the pressure may exceed the working pressure of some of the processing equipment used in the industry. How much butane are you planning on pumping? Are you moving the liquefied material from one container to another / filling cylinders from bulk source?

Find a hydra-cell pump distributor. And be prepared to pay very well for what you get. Specialty pumps like that are very not inexpensive.

5 Likes

MVP Liquid pump. But definitely not in that pressure range.

Id also look into what they use for transferring liquid propane as that is a much more common use

5 Likes

What kind of flow rates do you need?

1 Like

50L/hr

Yes the hydracell is the default, I’m hoping for something more cost effective.

2 Likes

My trs-21 is able to generate like 160psi, could it be used to transfer liquid butane?

1 Like

Yes it’s a liquid capable pump but they don’t really like to do it…

1 Like

Give Magnatex a call. They ain’t cheap tho.

1 Like

U making a ffe for butane?

1 Like

Nah man, there are way more effective solvent recovery methods for butane than FFE. I just need me a butane liquid transfer pump before I can release it.

3 Likes

I was quoted 4k for a Magnetic drive pump, it’s all 316SS and PTFE construction and its designed to move liquid under pressure.

My quote was for a pump and motor assembly.

4 Likes

Where are you at on being able to release a design on this? I’m looking at ffe for butane recovery. But am very unsure of how well this will work. Has me slightly concerned

Do ffe for the recovery side, not the boiling side

This was my hope. Thinking of running a 3” shot gun condenser directly above my fuel tanks

3 Likes

Haskell’s line of liquid pumps (not vapor recovery pumps) can do it.

5 Likes

Can anyone speak to how well this works? I’m assuming very well. Just wondering if I’ll need to bring any conventional coils into the mix

1 Like

I’ve gotten 3lbs/min like this, just need adequate cooling power, ~9kw according to bizzybee. I was using dry ice in my recovery and a chiller for the shell on tube phase change

1 Like