... and the solvent in the tube goes round and round

Delta played with the idea of doing a butane centrifuge and I think tried it but for some reason gave up on the idea.

I think the hardest part to overcome would be the roatery seal at pressure. I know a couple company’s offer solutions for low speed, no clue for high speed.

Heating the fuge to drive out all the residuals after a nitro press wouldn’t be hard.

1 Like

There’s decanters with pressure ratings in the 100s or 1000s. Never seen a basket type like that though.

3 Likes

Hermetic motor: put the motor in the enclosure just like they do with refrigerant compressors. Double bonus if you use air for it

5 Likes

There you go!

1 Like

Coils?

And so eloquently implemented…

2 Likes

I appreciate you fielding the questions folks may have about this @cyclopath! It appears there are actually several different topics occurring simultaneously in this thread, so I don’t really know what I can contribute besides “Yeah! What he said!” :sweat_smile:

Sounds like an icy box of death, @Roguelab! Glad you abandaborted that idea! :grimacing:

A centrifuge built for propane/butane/isobutane removal could be a simple design like a driven basket inside a 350 psi shell.

Centrifugal action is a function of both rpm and radius. The longer the radius, the less rpm needed.

I built inert atmosphere vacuum interlocked weld chambers, using double vacuum seals on the shaft driving the vacuum interlock conveyors from the outside. We routinely evacuated them to 10 microns, backfilled with argon and did it again, to get the atmosphere purified before opening the interlock door into the argon filled inert atmosphere weld chamber.

I’ve also seen similar double vacuum seals with coolant flowing between them , for hot wiped/rotary film under vacuum applications.

Thinking outside the box, if the centrifuge basket had an array of permanent magnets attached around its perimeter, and the pressure shell had electromagnets threaded through the pressure shell at the same radius, then you could sequence the magnets electronically to drive the basket, with no rotary seal penetrations.

You could drive it with pneumatics or hydraulic wheel motor enclosed in the same pressure shell, which would probably be the simplest and most trouble free.

8 Likes

In addition to spin and vacuum, enough heat to raise the residuals above their boiling points would also be required for the best recovery rate.

2 Likes

Trying to talk arometrix out of their latest sensor which we might should be able to mount inline.

Although I’m not clear what that might gain us with the system constraints I’m working with. Not enough evap to just flow solvent till the sensor says “you’re done!”, can’t tell you that you’ve soaked long enough till you commit to having soaked long enough.

I think it would be super useful for monitoring recirculated solvent, but getting recirculation on the current rig seems far fetched at best right now.

…beating my self up for not trying when the previous machine was being so insistent

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I was curious if I could get some advice from you. You seem very pretty educated on this subject and I am not I just know a trick I did 20 years ago and I can’t get it to work today with the new hydro bud. I used to take swag and one chemical and turn an ounce into white powder in about 30 minutes it was water soluble I can’t get it to work today with the new hydrobud I’m not sure what to change on my procedure but I need to figure it out.

You will have to share a little more details for anyone to help move further on this.

3 Likes

If it a magnetic seal and the vessel is pressure rated why not

what was that one chemical?

fee free to share via DM if you’d prefer.

1 Like

perhaps it was floor cleaner that he found under the sink. same one some think might be causing medusa…

3 Likes

Is that ammonia, limonene, or gamma-butrylactone

1 Like

Sir that’s crack cocaine

2 Likes

xylene, definitely xylene!

1 Like

might have gotten actionable data out of the arometrix C1D1 sensor…but our specially re-sealed pump from haskel wasn’t sealed appropriately.

has anyone solved pumping cold hash yet?!? (SEE: Butane liquid transfer pump)

1 Like