Butane Extractors! What needs to be automated?

MOVE SHIT POSTS FROM THIS THREAD TO HERE

@Killa12345 move the bs to there please :octopus:

Bro what? You are such a teachers pet. Stop gate keeping.

3 Likes

Shut up.

1 Like

Most don’t have near that phase change up their sleeves….for some strange reason.

Sounds like we’re asking the robot to figure out what the monkey loaded? On the fly?

That’s not where I’d start. Operator should be able to figure out the difference between FF and FTF (from the floor), and select the right recipe. Given monkeys proven ability to misread, I concede that teaching the robot to double check isn’t without merit.

It should however FIRST be taught to

or what ever cut off value is thermodymagically most apropos.

And then taught to use a

to increase/decrease residence time in the CRC column so the selected color is achieved (training data will be required, there are better ways of hitting desired color).

Both of those are recipe driven, issue is the appropriate sensor so the robot can make informed decisions….

We’re looking at a $50k NIR based sensor next.

Although scuttlebutt says we’re gonna give the arometrix extraction finder one more shot at it…

4 Likes

A highish precision Coriolis meter should be able to get you within spitting distance of a valid answer to “are we picking up any more stuff” though it can’t tell you if you’re specifically getting more cannabinoids.

$10k or less.

Mine isn’t doing anything since it got RMA’d if you need one to be disappointed by.

4 Likes

True. We also know that in some whirleds month long soaks are performed because “we’re still pulling stuff!”.

The choice of sensor was not mine, nor are we footing the bill on this one…but well trained NIR can grok many things, or so is the tell.

Not sure how to respond on the arometrix, I’ve got three versions here and have yet to find anything they can be useful for. Is the horse dead? Can I afford to keep beating it? I want the damn thing to work…

2 Likes

we have used a 2 color led sensor to detect the color of the butane. <$100 in parts

2 Likes

Is it just measuring interference/absorption?

Have to get back to you on that. Assuming absorbance.

Haven’t dug in…nor received the sensor yet.

I have heard this as well.

Every time I start asking pointed questions the sales people stop talking to me though.

If you manage to make it work there’s definitely a place for them, even at $50k.

Especially when I’m about 98% they can be had for substantially less than that if one knows where to look.

1 Like

A good point. I designed our machines so that they could be run manually in a pinch. Every valve was hooked to a three-way switch that allowed it to be run automatically, be disconnected, or be run manually.

I also designed them so that I could change key parameters like time while the program was running, so I could add or subtract based on what I was observing.

5 Likes

what about making an API for the cannabinoid sensors that have already been made?

1 Like

You tried one that works?

Care to share which?!?

1 Like

If I ever find one that actually does what it’s supposed to do, I’d be more than happy to do so.

Hell, if someone gets me one that actually works, I’d write and open source an API/control module to connect with it (presuming that’s possible).

The arometrix has been pretty conclusively proven to not see cannabinoids. I’ve spent well over $10k on their gear and something in the range of hundreds of hours with no success actually seeing cannabinoids.

To my knowledge, the only tool that is presently available that actually can see/track cannabinoids in an online manner is a NIR sensor. And they’re fuckin expensive.

Everything else uses something else as a proxy for cannabinoids, which is fine in some situations, but not in others.

1 Like

Have not. I generally sacrifice yield for quality. I honestly don’t understand the hype around low temps. Ive made on par live resin by hot gassing the tube and running through a small bed of pH 8 bentonite

What you using as a detector?!?

2 Likes

I’d like to know more too sounds neato!

1 Like

Thank you.

Memory lapse rather than lack of reading…

1 Like

raspi/arduino with uv vis nir sensor
we used ir and a yellow approximately saturated butane color led
shine led through a small flat sight glass to sensor on opposite and seal ambient light out
graph for instant saturation visualization

used after your material column you can tell when it’s done

spectroscopy is the buzzword

2 Likes