Black Swan: rare Jamaican cannabis strain could treat pancreatic cancer

Granted orphan status by the FDA (congrats)

29 Likes

If anyone is curious about what they are I pulled this out from the study.

![image|281x499]

(upload://uYqfGuvYVuaPcsRLKEuWn8t1sq5.jpeg)

8 Likes

Did they give it to any rats?

3 Likes

@Future Animals noted, but rats not specified. Quotes that you might find interesting…

“Although you may frequently read about noteworthy scientists like Dr Mechleoum synthesis of CBD and THC as groundbreaking, Dr Lowe and his team of research scientists have done something equally challenging – produced commercial kilogramme quantities of cannabis derived flavonoids.

• Orphan drug status gives companies exclusive marketing, and development rights along with other benefits to recoup the costs of researching and developing drugs to treat rare diseases.
  • The Orphan Drug Act was designed to encourage companies to develop drugs for rare diseases.
  • The FDA can revoke orphan drug status.
  • Pharmaceutical companies, however, prefer to treat less expensive diseases and conditions versus expensive and rare ones.

Also, it looks like they’re developing not one, not two, but three cancer drugs.

5 Likes

So…landrace strain hunt in 3,2,1!

I have a connect deep on the ground from Jamaica that I’m checking in with. Always nice to add to the library.

1 Like

Flavonoids are present in sprouts. It would be interesting to see the comparison of content between age and variety of the plant.

4 Likes

Hi,
my thesis work studies the role of cannabinoids in blocking prostaglandin production, similar to this study you cited. There’s putative evidence to suggest a lot of compounds in Cannabis sativa are active or interfere with these beneficial effects like regulating the tumor environment, and inflammation. My data suggested CBD is the most potent at inhibiting an inflammatory class of prostaglandin producers known as Cyclooxygenase (COX; namely, COX-2). However, I used an in vitro enzyme assay which says nothing about the actual involvement in different tissues (ie. in vivo).
Interesting post. Thought I’d jump in.

13 Likes

Thank you for the info!! Super cool thesis btw. What’s your next study on?

They were supposed to start clinical trials but lagging. In the meantime paitents want to try a an RSO type approach for hope.

Would like to get growers in Maine or Mass or NH or ? interested in growing this strain asap for an RSO oil for pancreatic cancer patients desperately in need of trying this. No luck getting anyone interested.

2 Likes

Wow… I knew it… This would’ve helped my grandmother stick around a bit longer.

2 Likes

I’m in Maine. You have the black swan genetics @northstar?

5 Likes

I’m in Michigan (rec and med legal here), I’ll grow it out for some of my patients and pass it along to others if you up for that?

8 Likes

I don’t necessarily think this flavonoid is exclusive to this strain. I just highly doubt a single one of the labs anyone here has been testing extracts/flower at has been looking for it. I’m sure if some labs obtained the reference we’d see a lot more of it.

12 Likes

It’s pretty common in Afghani/Pakistani lineages. But also common in modern poly hybrids. Black color is what your looking for. Other flavonoids come out as purple, pink, and sometimes blue. Follow breeders/growers on ig and you’ll start to find a lot of cool colors.

1 Like

I did not know this particular flavonoid was tied to such distinct pigmentation like anthocyanin. I am quite familiar with the black fade from the Afghani genetics. If that’s the case then this is probably in just about everything bred since Wedding Cake. Feel like everything has the black fade now.

I’d love to see some labs test for it in flower. If it’s water soluble it would be extremely easy to pull from live material without hurting the yield on your cannabinoid run. Wouldn’t be hard to have a compliant product assuming it’s fairly stable. Naturally water soluble compounds would make our lives a lot simpler.

7 Likes

I am in Maine.

Looking for strains now.

Let me know if/how I can help.

2 Likes

any update on this?

5 Likes

anyone know whay flavonoid is pink? i have a strain called napoli pink that actually turns pink

also if cannaflavin is what makes cannabis black, would it also be present in a plant like black mondo grass which grows easier and faster

2 Likes

Canaflavins are most likely specific to cannabis however similar compounds do exists in other plants.

Edit probably not Dihydrokaempferol

The pink could be this or it’s corresponding Anthocyanin.

6 Likes