Bitter blockers

Thanks

as chef I have often dreamed of making sweet and sour cheese cake with them.

the idea that you have a sour lemon agar ripple through the cake and then a set
agar miracle berry topping.

cut into the side alone and its very sour.

but the second you taste the top it all goes sweet.

7 Likes

Which state is that btw

Californja @SeanMika

1 Like

Yep, Iget my methanol from the local race track.

2 Likes

can you get nitromethane for rc cars.

they often have methanol as well.

a great fire lighter should you need it is caustic soda and nitomethane.

fill a coke bottle cap with caustic and pour a little nitro over it.

step back quick and watch the flame go higher than your head :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got a sample pack from them with all of their bitter masking agents. I tried to use it to mask bittnerness in an MCT tincutre and it would never stay in solution. I contacted them about it and they told me that the product isn’t for use in applications that involve oil? I was like wtf, what else would you be putting it in? Lol. Just my experience with them, they’ll send you a nice sample pack if you ask for one. 30mls of each product they offer. Maybe you’ll be able to use it, but for chocolate I wouldn’t be too sure. Best of luck with it! I’ve never had much luck with bitter blockers, personally.

3 Likes

Ah, so are they pretty hydrophilic I assume…
We have a sample pack on the way, we are excited to try it. I will definitely post how it goes once we do some test batches.

2 Likes

I tried some masking agents with the same results, pretty insoluble in oils… :confused:

1 Like

naphtha v & m. then clean w heptane for the best elves

some places don’t care and will ship it anyways

I get naphtha for like 15$ a gallon the heptane for cleaning reX is pricerier

4 Likes

you will probably find that even should you get it into solution with some kind of PTC
it will still not work.

they probably need the aquas environment to do there electronic magic with the taste buds.

2 Likes

We actually have found success with MycoTechnology’s ClearIQ.
Makes a huge difference.

What you are saying makes sense though.
I think inside your mouth is must be considered an aquas enough environment, because we have noticed the first bite you can still taste bitterness right in the very beginning and it goes away once those bitter blockers hit your receptors. It’s really strange.

1 Like

I don’t think that was anything wrong with their product. Most bitter blockers are designed for oil-in-water emulsion systems so it’s normal for them to separate from oil-based solutions. Emulsifiers are usually extremely bitter and it can be hard to mask them without messing up your emulsion’s stability. You’d add them to something like a CBD beverage or nanoemsulsified spray.

You don’t normally need a bitter blocker for mixing cannabinoids in an oil. You just need a sweetener, not a bitter blocker. Making something sweeter is a lot easier than masking nasty tasting surfactants that taste like rubbing alcohol (while also not crashing out your cannabinoids and turning your water into a nasty milky substance).

I don’t work with edibles much anymore but I’ve been considering suggesting maltol for this purpose since it just kind of makes everything it touches sweeter. It might look like sugar but it’s probably thousands of times more concentrated by weight so don’t go dumping it in like sugar. A “dash” of it would probably do the trick but you’re best off measuring the sum of your ingredients then adding it over a scale since it’s ordinarily used at about 100ppm in food. You can use more but too much and everything will taste like cotton candy. Maltol is in tons and tons of baked goods. If I remember correctly on average we all consume like 30mg of it daily in common foods.

There’s a lot of common flavor ingredients that function similarly and are very easy to incorporate. Just know you should be measuring by milligrams and not adding heaps of it like your other dry ingredients.

8 Likes

Very good to know! Thanks for the info.
I’ll definitely look into that.

We’ve tried using ClearTaste for our edibles and the feedback we received were not too positive. The Myco tech we talked to recommended 100PPM to start, with adjustments of +/-20PPM. So we conducted tests of 80PPM, 100PPM, 120PPM and 150PPM.

Our test participants told us the blockers in the higher concentrations above 80PPM blocked out some of the bitterness but also made the bitterness linger for a much longer period in their mouths. Whereas our original product had a harsher bitterness that dissipated quickly, the test product with blocker had a smoother more gradual bitterness that last much much longer.

Overall, probably 95% said they would choose original over the bitter blocked gummies. There were also a few participants that absolutely HATED the bitter block gummies. Safe to say, we gave up the idea after receiving those feedback.

This is purely based on the few short tests we conducted so YMMV.

3 Likes

Why do you need to add it to gummies? What are you using currently? Have you just tried using more flavoring? I’m assuming you’re just using something basic for flavoring like lorann oils or something like that?

Unfortunately, while cannabis is completely legal in our country, the government’s current regulations have severely restricted and deterred us from operating in the legal space (for now). With that said, since we are operating in the grey market space, we are also limited in our sources to procuring distillate.

Despite our best efforts to source quality distillate from our suppliers, there still seems to be a taste issue with our edibles. We do lab test every batch of distillate for residual solvents, heavy metals etc… but have not figured out the cause of the bitter aftertaste left in our products.

We’ve tried using more flavouring (up to 1.65% WT) but that did not help rectify the problem. We’re not using lorann oils for flavouring as we found the flavours to be just average.

Oh I understand completely then. I automatically assume people are using distillate for edibles so I was wondering why you would even have to use bitter blockers for something as sweet as gummies. I used to work for a company that used shatter in their gummies because upper management refused to invest in equipment to produce distillate so I can say I’m familiar with this struggle.

This may or may not be the direction you want to go in but on the idea of masking with more flavor, you can fight fire with fire with a more forward acidic note. I know in the states people are pretty much obsessed with “Sour Patch Kids” Candy. A mixture of sour citric acid salts and powdered sugar can replicate that sour-sweet flavor that they use.

Citrulline malate (an amino acid supplement) also can create a very “sour” candy flavor but it shouldn’t be terribly difficult for you to get the citric acid salts as they are a common confectionary ingredient. For every 1 cup sugar people will do 1-2 tablespoons citric acid salts but some people use a little more to make them super sour. You will want a very fine powdered sugar, not the larger granular sugar.

I’ve also said before that this powdered sugar route will cover up any imperfections in your gummies. Knowing how difficult it can be to homogenize the oil and get a clean release from the candy molds, this can just help a ton with presentation. You won’t be able to see the occasional little pocket of oil trapped in the gelatin.

If you don’t want to make sour gummies, you can also just do just powdered sugar or even go really light on the citric acid. Personally I think some amount of citric acid makes all gummies taste better but that may be an American thing.

If that doesn’t do the trick you could just buy a Büchner funnel and play around with various adsorbents until you can get that bitter flavor out. This might not be a bad idea regardless.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips, it’s greatly appreciated.

We do use citric acid in our gummy recipe as well as a citric acid and sugar mixed outer coating. The feedback we’ve received is that the candy tastes great initially but the longer it stays in the mouth, the bitterness starts to creep in. We’re assuming some customers just chew and swallow the gummies while some like to leave the candy in their mouths to slowly dissolve?

We’ve raised the issue to our dist suppliers but unfortunately, not all grey market operators care for such minor details such as taste. We’ll be experimenting with altering the ratio of candy to distillate in the hopes that more candy will hide the bitterness of the dist.

I’ll definitely look into the Bucher funnel and this forum has really got me deep into the rabbit hole in regards to extractions and distillations.

If it’s bitter, put it down the shitter.

Products should be enjoyable & want to entice you on for another swig.

Check out some cellulose as a “binding surfactant “ for certain formulations.

1 Like