"Birds of A Feather" Think Tank Group

I’m part of a loosely organized think tank group called “Birds of a Feather”. It’s essentially where a collective of people from different backgrounds get together and talk about a certain subject. This round, there were even friendly competitors as this group is used to advance knowledge about our respective industries. The subject during this meeting was challenges with nitrogen usage.

The main goal was to discuss solutions concerning nitrogen, which is essential for crop growth and yield. There were cannabis growers, humate manufacturers, a traditional, specialty and a dairy farmer who provides manure to row crop growers. We talked about supply chain disruption for things like calcium/ammonium nitrate and artificial governmental restrictions that threaten our food supply that lead to the Dutch farmer protests.

We also talked about solutions like manure bioreactors versus open pit composting, more impactful ways to use cover crops and biostimulants. Fulvic acid chelates NH4+, in particular, as another solution. It was incredibly insightful and positive for everyone involved.

Because of the current economy, business may be challenging to everyone in different ways. I could see this being helpful to cannabis consultants. While some people become more cut throat in an economic climate like this, speaking with people who may even be friendly competitors can help everyone advance in their respective industry background.

14 Likes

Damn I missed my opportunity to talk about agricultural nitrogen trapping with blue/green algea.

Sounds like an interesting group. Sounds like Satoshi Roundtable.

3 Likes

This sounds awesome. Most of the time I give out all the things for free - because everyone deserves to level up. I mean that’s why I’m here…

Sometimes people need more help than that - then they can hire me for help. Sometimes I even go all the way to a place, find that the help they need is not something I can do with the time we have available and the redirect them somewhere else.

Having a group to talk about these things… in person! Wow, that would be amazing. <3

5 Likes

They don’t always go well. Someone proposed talking about cannabis prices and thought we could fix prices as a group. :exploding_head: This isn’t the Bilderberg group here.

The potential thesis was “quality as a hedge against price uncertainty” when talking to candidates.

Hahahaha. Price fixing is such a crazy monopoly plan.

I’ll stick to what I told my bosses when I came to Michigan - expect to sell ounces at retail for less than $50. Make sure that our operating costs for cultivation and retail allow for those prices. Prepare to sell concentrates for $8-10 at retail. Make sure that our operating costs for processing and retail allow for those prices.

That’s just reality with a commodity market. Which is where we are when there are huge multi-state operators throwing around investor money.

Sure there’s a premium for “quality” but its also not most of your sales. Because the average consumer doesn’t care about quality they care about price. So you know - get more customers with good prices and keep prices good by being the most efficient motherfuckers on the planet. <3

5 Likes

I am consistently arguing with friends, clients, and industry people about pricing and trying to fight the market.

Alot of people are trying really hard to fight the market, and they are going about it all wrong.

PRICE TO PRODUCE is the only metric that matters, does not matter if you are a grower, extractor, or broker. Your price to produce needs to meet an HONESTLY forecasted market, and leave room for a margin. 12-18 months is a decent forecast.

You can’t hold your product for a better price. 9 times out of 10 that shit is going to get you wrecked even harder.

5 Likes

I sent something similar in DM but on second thought it may be helpful for people reading:

For composting, the ‘best’ method to retain the most N (besides adding micronized zeolite powder which greatly reduces ammonia volatilization when using manure, allowing for ammonia > NH4 > NO3 conversion and reduction of nitrate leaching and denitrification) is the Luebke method. A.k.a. Controlled Microbial Composting (CMC) and humus management. CMC also retains the most nutrients and adds organic/natural sources of Ca and micronutrients for microbial mineralization. It requries optimization of the C:N ratio and composing in rows with the a compost turner because the rows are turned often.

I developed updates to CMC, which significantly increases air porosity and humic fraction (FA and HA) and humus content. Along with optimizing the C:P ratio and other tweaks like using local white-rot fungi to break down lignin in the hay before composting to increase readily available C (carbon), composting efficiency, and speed. I also use spent grains (from brewers) that I turn into silage using wild harvested LAB before adding to the compost pile. The acidification of the silage grains is my pH down for the pile, while calcitic lime is my pH up.

5 Likes

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your contributions on Future and have personally learned so much from you. I have shared this with our Lithuanian distributor who specializes in manure bioreactors with EU regulations for reduced agrochemical usage.

Kind regards,

AgTonik LLC

4 Likes

Great, glad to help. :green_heart:

2 Likes