Best way to decarb live resin

he’s busy finding fractions

4 Likes

How do you purge the HTE. I’ve got the separation via fuge done but was unaware I should be purging the HTE liquid

Under vacuum in an oven

4 Likes

Same way you would purge residual solvent if you had NOT separated.

In a vacuum oven.

We use low heat and vac down for a couple or three hrs. That number is informed using In House analytics (Head space analysis) and is specific to our process.

If you don’t have analytics you should err on the long side (6-8hrs should suffice).

2 Likes

Do u think that half way decarb will give a better high? More like a dab high?

All inhalation is completely decarbed. Not going all the way won’t change anything other than the atomizer having to work harder to burn off the C02, as well.

6 Likes

Agreed but if they get a coa done mine will at least have some thca on the board was the only reason… Then the argument of if it’s live or not is short lived

I’m sure it’s been said but the best way to decarb live resin THCa I’ve found is to work under vacuum and use a mantle/flasks. Consulting is available on how to pull this off if you are interested.

Decarbing in mason jars is dangerous and decarbing on a hot plate is slow and introduces weird flavors. Vacuum setups allow you to decarb quickly and remove fouling volatile compounds that might effect the live resin taste after mixing.

I’m going to release a small vacuum setup that is only meant for decarb, mixing, and terpenes. It will incorporate parts off of the stainless systems I’ve shared in other posts.

10 Likes

Tell that to the bosses without any STEM background or IED experience. :joy:

4 Likes

If you don’t put a cold trap in your gonna pull all your light terps if it decarbing wet…I prefer to spin it, decarbing sugar thca the. Reintroduce terps

I know some ppl cold distilling and getting clear fractions w the trap

2 Likes

I’d usually do this to already separated THCa but I’d use a trap either way just to protect the pump and room in case something goes wrong.

Decarbing live resin without separating the THCa makes no sense to me but I’m sure there are people doing it and making decent products.

3 Likes

If I’m only decarb’ the thca and then reintroduce the hte, there will be a small amount of thca, regardless.

2 Likes

If i Decarb separated thc a on a hot plate can i do it with a closed jar or open is fine? And 230f for Decarbin is it a good temp?
Appreciate all of you guy for every post in here
Ive been reading a lot lately here on the forum and some of your posts go back to 2018

I used a hot air circulating drying oven with temp set @ 275f/135c just for about an hour or so, just to get the thca to “liquify”. Then I drop to 250f/121c for a couple hours more or until the reaction of the bubbling reduced drastically. Also, much faster if you pulverize the thca rather than throwing chunks of hard thca. But yeah, that seemed to work with mason jars, beakers etc. I like to place the lid on very loosely.

3 Likes

I tried an air fryer oven before and it was way quicker than the hot plate,the lowest it can go is 250 and since air fryer circulate air uniformly i think that will be perfect for doing that

DO NOT EVER USE A CLOSED SYSTEM (closed jar) TO DECARB

I will post some math to show why in a few hours.

4 Likes

Assume you have THCa crude that is only 50% THCa by mass

Fill a 2000mL mason jar with 500g of the mixture, leaving plenty of head space.

There is 250g of THCa in your mixture and by mass 12% is CO2 and 88% is THC.

12% of 250g is 30g of CO2.

In ideal situations at STP (standard temp and pressure, 0 degrees C and 1atm) gasses occupy a volume of 22.4L/mol.

44g/mol is the molar mass of CO2

30g of CO2 is .68 moles of CO2

.68 moles CO2 x 22.4 L/(mol CO2) equals 15.3 Liters of CO2

So… in that 2L mason jar you are attempting to produce 15.3 liters of CO2, if the temperature were 0C. Because the temperature is much higher than that we can assume that the gas will occupy even more space.

Never decarb in a sealed system especially if it’s made of glass.

15 Likes

Still do it in a jar every day, on a hot plate. Just don’t seal it like I want it to hold pressure.

Just don’t see the justification in using multiple rbf and mantles, when I have to decarb only 150g on a regular basis.

3 Likes

Why not loosen the lid and allow the gas to easily escape? If you’re creating a water tight seal in the mason jar you can read the above post for the justification for why it’s dangerous.

Going by feel for how much you need to seal the jars seems risky and hard to do safely. Possibly the way mason jars flex in the lid is the reason it hasn’t caused a disaster. Higher quality jars would be more risky if the threads are stronger and the lids can’t flex

2 Likes

True but, if the terps are in there you are fucked. Right now, the glass bombs are all I have until the bosses start heeding my council

1 Like