Best Hydrocarbon System 2023

How much does it cost to only extract 70% of the cannabinoids at 50 lbs a day 22 days a month for a year when trim is $350 a lb and all extract SKUs is over $20?

Cuz unless you want to cut your throughput in half with a Luna and run the same material 2x you are gonna have yield issues.

What part of the 17k in trim are you leaving in the machine?

How many grams of $20 extracts aren’t you getting?

The 80k in labor I wouldn’t save as they have to be there to operate the Luna too and regardless of all “the other things I can do in the lab when the Luna is running” I can have even cheaper people fill carts and package grams. I don’t need the tech doing more jobs than his own on a machine that wastes valuable cannabinoids.

People be talking about this machine like some cult. Save the intense sales pitch for the the guy that bought that for you not the guy who wouldn’t even consider it.

Where do you live that you get $20/g for extracts? Around here it’s $50/# trim, $3-10 extracts, and $20-30/hr for an experienced tech.

2 Likes

Jesus dude, stick to one account, you are acting crazier than @Lightbulb right now.

We’re getting far more than 70% extraction efficiency and have since the first run in our luna. I can assure you from all our spent biomass potency results were doing just fine and the luna does as full as an extraction as any other BHO system on the market. the only way to really improve would be a completely different style of extraction like a centrifuge.

I can assure you i wouldn’t be praising this system if it didnt perform well enough to make us profitable. Our costs per gram is probably lower than 98% of the BHO labs in oregon and that simply wouldnt be possible without automation and a Luna on deck.

I dont have the people running the luna packaging grams, they are running analytics, writing SOP’s, doing Metrc, post processing, homogenizing batches, and overseeing an automated cart filler all while constantly working together and improving every process we do. My personal role is supporting my people and doing everything in my power to make their jobs easier and more efficient. If something is inefficient we attack it head on and find a better way.

How much does it cost the company you work for to pay a consultant (you) while you ask an online forum what equipment you should buy for every step of the build out? Seems like every day you make a new thread asking us what you should buy your client.

8 Likes

Debateable

1 Like

:+1:

Debatable is your MO

2 Likes

100%, because if we have positivity loop echo-chamber, we end up with disasters like this:

Where people promote companies that turn out to be shit, and dish on companies that turn out to be amazing. If I am contrarian with everyone that is provably wrong, those people’s inevitable downfall bring more relevance to my future claims.

3 Likes

Team work makes the dream work. Likely more important than what system anyone uses is the team they have to operate it. Doesn’t matter which system or how amazing a lab build out is if there aren’t the right people running it.

22 Likes

:point_up_2: 100%

4 Likes

18$ maybe while there being trained but our bho guys make 50-90k a year. Depends how much overtime they do and if they got their run bonus

With the Luna I felt I needed a 100k a year tech on hand at all times to trouble shoot it. As @thesk8nmidget says inhad one of tbr first lunas and they probably have gotten better.

But just troubleshooting issues with the plc board was something none of my in-house team could do. I had to handle all of that and it became super frustrating. If I didn’t leave that lab due to bad partnership, then I would still be running the Luna.

Curious what they sell for these days new. We paid like 400k with tax for the first one. I would guess it’s like 450k or so

4 Likes

You definitely have to tweak out an ets system, we kick ass with ours. But I customized it, removed most qc’s and hardlined, got a bigger solvent tank and added an injection coil. But yeah the collection vessel is definitely the bottle neck. We do four runs back to back non stop. Works great. I’ve got it dialed in so I know it’s sweet spot on when to collect my oil, with or without sight glass. And I think you can increase through put by buying a bigger collection vessel, and double stack spools for material columns to increase biomass capacity.

Edit: oh yeah and ditch the Haskel pumps.

4 Likes

Couldnt agree more the team is the magic behind every company!

Without a good team you have nothing, thats why i push hard to have a good work life balance for all our guys and we all work 4 days a week with minimal over 40 hour weeks.

@johnbigoilco we paid $365 for our luna a little over a year ago. I believe they are still under 400k with everything included.

They also have a great support team now and can usually trouble shoot any issues remotely with the HMI very quickly. I can say that we have never been down for more than a full day from any hmi/plc issues. its pretty solid overall.

They have done 2 major software upgrades since we got ours which added features and options and i would say 8 or so little soft updates for add ons and changes we suggested or wanted for our specific process. I love the ability to give input or insights and get changes in short time.

1 Like

Did you get paid for all this R and D or did you do it like all the cheerleading and pom pom waving you do for Jack for free?

Cant imagine spending that ammount of someone else’s money to have to make those kind of improvements. Good thing you have such a competent team to make up for the equipment shortfalls

50k in cali money is 27k in midwest money

$18/hr is 37k

maybe the machine is gonna make him rich… word of mouth is a great sale tactic and it seems like luna is trying hard with that model…

cant fault a guy that spends $400k and happy with his purchase… those are super high expectations to hit

4 Likes

Havent we had this talk before? like every time you bash luna from one of your 15 different accounts? With all the free time you have you must either run a luna or dont have a system at all to run.

The luna was good enough when we first got it… But literally EVERY single system or product on the market in every industry has room to improve in one way or another. Especially as time goes on, look at the phone industry new phones every couple of months
I will never understand the hate you have towards a company that is willing to listen to their clients ideas and input to provide a better product on the fly at no cost to the client. I’d bet most people that want changes done to their closed loop wishes the manufacturer would listen and act on it.

Updates on the luna is comparable to training a new technique or a slightly different operating SOP on a manual system, the difference with the luna is you change the program once and the system repeats it every time, on a manual system you would have to retrain each tech and hope they can repeat that new change every run. I can assure you a machine is better at repeating new processes than any human.

Everyone on my team LOVES the luna and appreciates not sitting in a booth all day every day. You talk a lot about spending other peoples money while being hired to do a build out spending someones else money… its weird how much you project. If you are so against spending other peoples money why arent you starting your own lab without anyone else’s money?

Or is that just the only “attack” you have against me? I’m happy to openly share with the class that i didn’t fund this lab with money but i can also assure you my business partner that did fund it is extremely happy with all the decisions i have made, we have literally taken over the Oregon market and have gotten into over 200 stores in less than a year in one of the most competitive markets in the country.

You are NOT going to be able to do that without good business decisions the whole time and a streamlined lab with a kickass team.

8 Likes

Couldnt agree more, We are so happy that we continue to share how great its been for our success and try and get others to open their eyes to automation. Nobody on our team has had second thoughts on our extraction system purchase. Meanwhile @extractionguyalts is still bashing a system he didnt even spend a dollar on, you’d think he was the one that funded a failed buildout with a luna in it.

We’ve also talked about implementing lunas in other states with our business model because its been so good for us and we know it would do even better in emerging states.

3 Likes

I’m probably one of the few people here who have actually operated both a Illuminated Behemoth and E4K, and I currently extract on a Bizzy Beest XXL (8 6x48 material columns).

Going Bizzy all the way.

10 Likes

Would you like to share your experience running the IE systems? How was the ease of use and train-ability for new techs??

2 Likes

The Bizzy is far easier to operate and train new extractors on than the Behemoth was.

The E4K is too small to really compare to our machine. We still have it around if anyone wants to DM me for pricing. I’m pretty sure management would take any offer that’s not completely ridiculous.

4 Likes

What did the bzb cost you?

It’s the xxl behemoth?

What chillers do you run on it?

What don’t you like about the @Zack_illuminated system?

What makes you like the @BizzybeeTeam system more?

Thanks for your input

1 Like