Be careful what you turn into a pressure vessel.

If you are putting pressure in a non pressure vessel, know an explosion is a matter of “when”, not “if”

The most common mistake I see in labs (and am guilty of myself) is purposefully or accidentally turning something never meant to hold pressure into a pressure vessel.

9/10 you will end up with an extremely difficult to clean up mess, hot oil explosions, and pissed off regulators.

Pic related is what happens when you go from vacuuming a reactor type vessel to closing all the valves. The pressure from hot volatile material building up happens fast, <5 seconds. Pop goes the vessel. Luckily no one was hurt in this case.

12 Likes

Gonna need a ladder to dab that where it lays…

18 Likes

I just spit coffee all over my monitor laughing so hard so if it goes out you owe me a new one :clap:

3 Likes

Thar she blows!

Glad only the glass got hurt. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

What was the vessel in its previous life?

A feeding flask. Fortunately just popped a cap and the glassware itself survived.

2 Likes

Glad yall are okay.

1 Like

Moby dick

1 Like

Glad nobody lost an eye, if there was a ceiling fan there, fit would have literally hit the sham. . .

1 Like

Damn bro glad you and your staff where not hurt and your equipment was not ruined. It’s all fun and games until someone one dies. This is definitely a needed reminder of how dangerous extraction/processing can be.

3 Likes

That could have been so much worse. Glad everyone is ok. Seeing this and hearing the horror stories of deaths from keg explosions in the brewing industry scares the shit out of me when dealing with positive pressure.

While on the subject, does there seem to be an issue with pressurizing a 4" spool to 55 psi? I’ll have a inline 60psi pressure relief valve, but I’m unsure if even that might be too high. Using single hinge clamps, if that makes a difference. I think I did adequate research, but it couldn’t hurt to mention it if someone sees something wrong here.

1 Like

Our low pressure tri clamps should be able to take 150 psi I believe. Can someone confirm that for me?

1 Like

Is that a lab rule?

Like you shouldn’t mine diamonds with hydrocarbons in glass?

17 Likes

Was that one of the Summit miners then?

Always thought that thing looked sketchy.

6 Likes

If you can afford it I’d replace every single hinge you have with quality high pressure clamps. Its really not worth the risk. I believe the high pressure clamps can take 300-600psi.

3 Likes

Yup. Full disclosure, not my lab.

3 Likes

Yes, tri-clamp style fittings are good to 150 psi… but only if they are properly seated. If the tubing or piping isn’t aligned, you won’t get a seal good to the 150 psi.

Dimonds for every1

Yeah I’d be lying if I told you I never did some dumb shit like this too.