Baking powders

So baked my powders over night last night. Defiantly worth it. But got some discoloring should I just mix it in or scrape it off. Celite was looking normal. Silica an AA slight yellow on top. But the t5 is a dark gray layer on top. Any thoughts?

that’s the t5

Did you use carbon chemistry T5? If so maybe @Shadownaught can provide some insight.

I did. All carbon chemistry. Except the celite 545

1 Like

At what temp did you bake ?

Weird, that top layer looks like T41.

3 Likes

I think the exact same thing happened to soundmix organic on ig this week. Looks the exact same and I don’t remember him saying he baked them either.

1 Like

Moisture possibly? I always baked my powders on a tray and would get alot of condensation

1 Like

215 degrees. An ya maybe the moisture recondensed an fell on top. Should I just scrape it off?

1 Like

Has a very distinct pepper smell also. My whole lab smelt like it when I opened the oven I scraped the later. Wasn’t to much an if it’s condensation didn’t want the rest of it to reabsorb it.

What’s everyone’s method for baking powders anyways? Temps? Time? Vac?
I did no vac. 215f over night bout 16 hours.

I bake at 110C for a minimum of 3 hours no vacuum then place hot in a container vacuum pan and then pull a slight vac

2 Likes

My powders hang out in the oven until use. Then the dishes I bake my powders in get topped off and sit there for another day or so until next time i refill my CRC. I’ve had a similar issues like yours before with the other oven I used to use for this. I thought maybe it was because the oven had oil and stuff on the walls and that oil was vaping off and the adsorbants pulled stuff from the vapor giving the top surface layer an off look. Haven’t noticed any issues since switching ovens now that I think about it.

6 Likes

I used my oven that I just did a bunch of live in. Wonder if vapor from terps caused this. Gunna clean the oven good an give it another shot. Thanks @MonsterInc. Some good insight

1 Like

Cleaned the shit out of my oven. Next batch no discoloring. My guess was it was oil or terp vapor

5 Likes

Did you end up mixing it in or scraping off?

Scraped it. Was in a jar so it wasn’t much. Havnt seen it since I devoted an oven for powders an kept it clean

3 Likes

Hey peeps, anyone know if I could bake b80 prior to when I use, and just leave it in a vac chamber till I do? Would be 1-2 days

Sure, you’ll have a lot of water come out of it so be prepared. That, or bake it and bag it. That’s my go to.

1 Like

Vac chamber will probably make the water pool in the bottom. I fill a 1.9 oven and the water is pouring out the front

okay, maybe a just bake and bag. vac seal bag no vac?

to reiterate, i meant to bake the powders, then leave in my vac oven at room temp under vac for storage. I’d think most of the moisture would be out after the baking

1 Like