Baking powders

I’d vac seal if you want to store for more than a week. Otherwise I wouldnt worry about the little bit of atmosphere that gets in the bag.

Leave it in the oven under vac, just make sure to keep an eye on moisture.

2 Likes

gotcha. mucho gracias

1 Like

That top layer reminds of one time I tried to purge isolate overnight but forgot to turn on vacuum. Thick layer of oxidation on top. I think water creates oxidation.
Baking without vacuum seems counterproductive to me. I would always start at ambient temp and GRADUALLY (learned this the hard way) apply vacuum and heat to prevent it fluffing everywhere. Then leave it at full vac at 250f overnight. And quickly cap the bucket to prevent condensation once it cools down.

What are the benefits for baking your powders before use? I have heard about it but never have looked into really because we have had great results without baking, packing, or doing a dry run through crc to “pack” (I believe?) before material run.

I did this same thing leaving it under static vacuum for a week until I needed it. The material had a layer of nasty crap on the top because my oven is filthy. I was unaware of any issues that might come of this. The first time with 10lb of material gave a yield of 160g using alumina and silica along with the baked perform 6000. That was a real kick in the face. This material yield 400 to 500.
The next run I only used baked perform 6000 that was from the same baked run of media. That 10lb run yielded 260 and the CRC channeled and complete screwed up everything.
I have only had channeling twice before this out of at least 100 runs.
I gont know if this has anything to do with baking the media or not. The yield was robbed badly both times.

Depends on the powder but overall baking the powder hot enough and long enough will tend to give you a more pure form of it (dehydrate it from liquids and can also burn off some impurities) and as such you will end up with much greater surface area from the powder also depending on what you are filtering you may lose some of the yields as the pores in your powder (as they are more likely to have boiled off/burned off what was blocking / filling up the pores in the powder) may be more able to grab onto larger molecules but that may depend on what exact powder you are using. For this you must run some tests with powders that you have baked (and kept in an airtight container until use) before using because their characteristics and definitely their efficiency will change.

Just my 2 cents worth

1 Like