Apparently rosin is chemically extracted

Yup. I described you point below. I was only referring to wash hash, but dry sift kief would be the same situation. The dry sift process is solventless, but the product is not depending upon how terpenes are defined int his specific case:

1. The process is solventless if the warm terpenes do not dissolve the trichome cells. However, depending upon how you define terpenes, either by their nature (as solvents) or activity in the process (not as solvents), the end product would be solventless or include solvents.
1 Like

Maybe we should call rosin refrigerant-free to be more accurate

8 Likes

Plant derived hydrocarbons

11 Likes

Well warm and 220F plus are two different conceptsā€¦
I understand that around sub-200 F is a good point to press.

Thank you for the print out of data/blog referenced.

Iā€™d check up a bit on the definition of ā€œsilicifiedā€ā€¦
There are like 5 types of trichomes and some ā€œsilicifiedā€
ā€¦but if my memory serves meā€¦I do not remember the
Secretory type trichome displaying the apical apparatus
As being ā€œsilicifiedā€ to any any great extentā€¦

You are good to goā€¦I am glad you pointed out my short comings concerning sarcasm, having fun and trying to make some think a bitā€¦

Best.

4 Likes

I can report that terpenes, especially concentrated terpenes dissolve trichomes with or without heat. Fuck weā€™ve been using them to CLEAN SHIT for like five years and you can add these in and watch them dissolve under a microscope if you wanted. x.X

This whole solvent vs solventless conversation is about MARKETING. Not science. Not mechanics. Fucking marketing. You know for those sales people that are complete tools and you wish would die most of the time because they come up with new words for the same fucking thing all the damn time.

18 Likes

<3 So much this. <3 <3 <3

7 Likes

Do hydrocarbon solvents for sure dissolve the trichomes entirely or are they dissolving just some of the oily components inside of the trichome?

Iā€™ve sonicated hash with ethanol and the ethanol did almost nothing to the structure of the trichome head under a microscope. Havenā€™t tried it with limonene. Limonene obviously has some different properties

5 Likes

Limonene is insane. But so is coke syrup and some other things out there that we put in food or want to smoke these days I guess.

Every time I walk towards the toxicity stuff it freaks me out. Like somehow Iā€™m going to find out that all this work with cannabis for the last decade is going to mean that I have stupid weird cancer and die. Or that all my team members die. And I hate the anxiety from that.

Iā€™ll see if I can borrow the grow scope this week and throw down some different terp groups so people can see the difference in cell wall breaking, dissolution, and general miscibility of many cannabinoids with each other.

You can see this warm or cold. Iā€™ve never gotten a scope inside a pressā€¦ but I could do before and after shots of what went in, what came out, and what was left behind for people to see.

Thereā€™s some pretty interesting research on the composition and structure of trichomes - which changes during the life cycle. Changes so much - that what see in effects of aging/curing can be considered different kinds of cell desiccation/breakdown.

The things the cell walls are made out of are all rather soluble in many things. Including terpenes. Those terpenes could even be housed inside the cellular storage inside the cell walls.

I mean its all kind of fascinating. What gets me still is how WE ENDED UP with an endocannabinoid system. I meanā€¦ there are fucktons of stuff all over that our bodies donā€™t have a specific system for interacting with - but not this plant. Oh no - this plant tries to defend itself against the whole fucking world - but wants us to eat and smoke it all day.

But I digress. :smiley:

9 Likes

Spent biomass from hydrocarbon produces a ton of ā€œemptyā€ kief. Dry and fluffy, little to no resin but still thereā€™s something that resembles kief.

12 Likes

The stupid weird cancer thing freaks me out too. Iā€™m realllyyyy trying to reduce/eliminate any type of inhalable consumption because obviously itā€™s harmful, but itā€™s so hard working in the industry lol

8 Likes

Yeah, in my IG message to her about the oven temp, I mistakenly used flower rosin pressing temp, not a hash/kief pressing temp. Another reason I wish IG had an edit button (and allow the use of paragraphs, lol).

If youā€™re interested, I can share studies on cannabis trichomes and the one that discussed their silicification. And I may be misremembering as well, so it would be worth my time to refresh myself. Also, at least one (but maybe two) papers or a paper and a review were recently published on trichomes. And, we need not only look for cannabis-specific papers because many plants have the same type of trichomes weā€™re discussing, often with greater amounts of terpens.

Thank you for being gracious and understanding my position on tone and sarcasm. :peace:

For sure, I agree. But that issue is one of concentration and type. Put some water hash or kief in a bowl filled with warm limonene and they wonā€™t last long. But thatā€™s not analogous to what occurs when pressing.

Iā€™m not saying @murphymurri is incorrect about warm terpenes being the only reason we can collect rosin when pressing, but I am skeptical.

Hereā€™s an illustrative example, which I havenā€™t done, but I will in the next few weeks:

• Place a pan with a thin layer of dry sift kief into a convection oven preheated to 180ā€™F (average press temp) for 75 seconds (or a bit longer). Then, pull the pan out and see if the trichomes were dissolved, and you have a pan of mushy rosin.
  • Place a pan with a thin layer of freeze-dried water hash into aa convection oven preheated to 180ā€™F (average press temp) for 75 seconds (or a bit longer). Then, pull the pan out and see if the trichomes were dissolved, and you have a pan of mushy rosin.

My guess is youā€™re not going to see much dissolution of the trichomes, but they will just be shriveled and smaller than they were. If Iā€™m wrong and the pan will be fill with rosin, why the heck is anyone pressing at all? Why isnā€™t everyone just putting the trichomes/heads into a 25 um bag and placing them in the oven?

Also, when something is dissolved into a solvent, that thing is in solution. So, suppose terpenes inside the trichome heads were dissolving the trichomes from the inside out. In that case, one should expect the trichome cells to disappear as theyā€™re solubilized.

3 Likes

Why canā€™t we just call it rosin and drop the solventless. Who goes around asking for solventless at the dispensary or to the plug. No one I know.

People ask for rosin or live rosin or diamonds or sauce. These posts are just for arguments and their egos.

:man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t3:

Isnā€™t water a solventā€¦ā€¦ making every extraction sorta a solvent extraction except dry sift.

25 Likes

I think that does work on some level it just doesnā€™t produce a good yield without pressure

3 Likes

I agree about just calling it rosin.

But no one here (that I see) is arguing (as in fighting), especially not over ego. Having different opinions and trying to elucidate a question as a group isnā€™t arguing. From my vantage point, we are discussing science and trying to figure out what is occurring when pressing and how the trichomes are ruptured/melted/dissolved. I even proposed two experiments to test @murphymurriā€™s position. Isnā€™t that what this site is all about?

Interesting. Iā€™ll take some before and after pictures and a video under the microscope.

I bet itā€™s at least a dual effect when pressing, with terpenes softening the trichomes through partial dissolution while the heat + pressure ruptures/melts them. So the terpenes may have some solubilizing effect on the inside of the trichomes, possibly weakening them. And then the result of temp and pressure melts them (or breaks the trichomes like popping a zit). And considering they donā€™t rupture simultaneously, the higher concentration of free terpenes over time could dissolve/soften the outside surface of the remaining intact trichomes.

3 Likes

The states care enough about solvent-less to make a distinction in licensing types between solvent and solvent-less in most cases so it would be logical that the nomenclature followed the product from licensed extraction facilities to licensed retail

2 Likes

Maybe a simple distinction between flammable and non flammable solvents would be more appropriate. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Terpenes are still super flammable

10 Likes

So then shouldnā€™t All extraction facilities just be type7 since all terps are hydrocarbons too??

5 Likes

I love the experiments suggested, and I really appreciate the discussion about trichome composition.

I also want to point out that this isnā€™t a unique observation, and the concept of rosin being an extraction vs sieve being a mechanical separation is actually something I learned from Frenchy years ago.

None of this has anything to do with preference, though. One reason I pick at this nomenclature so much is because it needlessly divides us. Nikka T was the first person to trademark the term solventless and is probably the only one who still explains it honestly as a marketing term.

The problem with this kind of marketing is that it is often used to replace research rather than to inspire it.

When people start saying things like ā€œI prefer rosin for the quantified and consistently higher % of isoamyl acetate in the waxy cuticle vs butane extracted productsā€ instead of saying ā€œbecause itā€™s purerā€ then Iā€™ll gladly move on to questioning the next round of divisive or deceptive terminology.

:heart: hash rules & solvents are cool!

26 Likes

Also - it is truly wild to show up to a forum post full of my private dms & comments online. At the same time, itā€™s very convenient because now I can refer people to this thread instead instead of repeating myself - which apparently I do way too much of.

Some of yā€™all really love to hate me - but I promise this shit isnā€™t personal. Itā€™s just hash. :sweat_smile:

22 Likes