Apparently rosin is chemically extracted

Type 7 would technically be based on total volume. But if someone had 55 gallons of terps then yes, they would likely fall under the same rules as any other flammable liquid.

7 Likes

Universal solvent. It dissolves more than most solvents.

I wonder what the long term effects of dabbing water are.

I think the ā€œwater is a solventā€ and then calling hash ā€œsolventlessā€ thing is about the water not acting like a solvent but rather as a carrier while itā€™s is mechanically extracted.

Are the terpenes really the major force at work when rosin is made? If it were just the terpenes doing the work we could use a centrifuge to make rosin just to seperate the oil and terpene solvent from the cuticle.

Does the presence of terpenes mean that even flower production should require a license allowing the use of flammable solvents? Is a bud jus a WIP extracting itself?

Retail customers are not scientists (real or internet ones) to increase their understanding of a product that uses sciences to be manufactured marketing terms need to be developed and when it comes to consumer products they are immeasurably more important than scientific accuracy.

All shatter doesnā€™t shatter but itā€™s still a widely accepted term for a range of extracts.

Not all crumble crumbles but still

What percentage of live resin does it need to be to be live resin, how much crystallized thca needs to be decarbed for it to be liquid diamonds?

Solventless is an important marketing term when it comes to a class of extracts that are often considered premium. Explain to a consumer ā€¦ā€¦no better yet explain this to a bud tender that can explain this to a consumer, the same bud tender that asks ā€œsativa or Indica ā€œ when you ask for a distillate cart, that ā€œTechnically there are terpenes inside of the trichome, thatā€™s the name of the crystalline thing on the bud, and they may be aiding in the release of oleoresins from the waxy cuticle of the trichome glands so technically it may not be solventlessā€

Sir, this is a dispensary not a TED talk

8 Likes

You really would need to replicate the temperature the hash is getting during pressing. Air translates heat far less efficient than a metal plate. If you take fire rosin to 185 degrees it should absolutely oil out. Not nearly the same degree of efficiency and you are not going to get anything seperating the entire batch through a heated pressurized mesh.

The solventless thing is just stupid semantics.

Pure acidic cannabinoids are not going to move out of a trichome head very well by themselves. The volitiles in the trichome certainly help melt and carry the cannabinoids out. Terpy hash presses better. Thickness of the membrane varies by strain as well so the degree the terps are helping to pop the heads and move your acidic cannabinoids will certainly vary. No one that smokes terps should care about a little bit of butane because they huff mad unknown solvents with every hit.

She is insinuating that what sells fire live rosin is that it isnā€™t made with dino bone solvents. Some people are dumb and probably do think a little butane is the big bad wolf and huffing heated concentrated plant volitiles could never have negative repercussions. That isnā€™t why fire live rosin sells like it does though. Itā€™s because rosin yields drastically better overall yield and concentration of a few key volitiles. And I am not referring to terpenes. :+1:

10 Likes

@murphymurri
Aā€™lass the great MM speaks.

The short notes attributed to you are certainly worth reading.

i didnt know what it was but years ago i saw my first crc slabs and it was white which weirded me out. Then i thought it was rosin but it was just heavy crc on some klp= he didnt even know that meant key lime pie. Oh i was ranting= but i used to make beautiful full melt clear dome but never enjoyed it. BHO fucks me up compared to fmcd. BUt i rarely dab, prolly not in months. dabs are to much for this old drunk.

Yā€™all love to hate this girl :joy::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

1 Like

https://pics.me.me/women-be-like-nope-i-aint-mad-4848829.png

I must say you do handle it well @murphymurri, the soap jokes and shade thrown at you for trying to give people your point of view ā€¦ I am not sure I would be as chill so kudos

6 Likes

I like this explanation

1 Like

TYPE 6 For manufacturers using nonvolatile solvents, such as carbon dioxide, ethanol, water, butter or oil, or performing extraction using mechanical methods.

Not all solvents are volatile!

55 gallons of terpenes would have to be based on volatility specifically No?

As long as the vapor pressure isnā€™t crazy I imagine people can stock 55 gals of many terps and many other non volatiles without a type 7.

3 Likes

master grower is one of those termsā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Insert Prop65 Warning

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna start marketing distillate as ā€œthe only true solventlessā€:rofl:

6 Likes

Custys will go apeshit over that

Because fucking marketing people trying to set themselves apart because REASONS. Fucking bastards. Canā€™t just let things be things nope nope nope. Have to create micro categories and bastardize other peoples products. Even sometimes completely lying to everyone including themselves.

2 Likes

You sure did. And I have a fuckton of kief to run this test today. I have requested the micro-camera and Iā€™m super excited to see if we can actually see the cell walls disintegrating.

I know that heating kief makes mush and a sticky mess. But I never thought to look at the mess and see just whatā€™s happening. Those articles on the composition of trichome cell walls are pretty telling. Some but not all of those materials will dissolve in water. Some but not all of those materials will dissolve in terps. Basically all of them dissolve in EtOH.

Kind of exciting science. :smiley:

I think your proposed hypothesis is right on.

The bigger thing here remains issues with marketing people. Like for reals. They donā€™t fucking care. For years people have been calling carts made with BHO live resin here in Michigan - even if they were mixed with distillate products - even if they were mixed with botanical terps. Why? Because they were looking for a higher dollar product from marketing.

Same thing goes back to people selling off carts with mixed D8/D9 - and not telling people about it. Or using diluents. Greedy bastards always looking for a fast leg up. Canā€™t just make a solid product at a minimal margin. No no - they want it all right the fuck now.

4 Likes

Oh manā€¦ regulators are so far behind on everything. Yes - any facility that has any flammable solvents or ingredients in it should be type 7. Any place that holds more than 1000lbs of dry biomass at any one time should be type 7 (because its fucking combustible fiber and dust that catches fire like everything elseā€¦)

They are SO FAR BEHIND. I cannot even begin to tell you how far. Sometimes I meet these regulators and they have never even seen a live plant before. Or a cured plant. Or any of the products they are regulating for. And its cool - we give tours and educate. But the fuck man - expecting them to know wellā€¦anything is a stretch.

They only know what the lobbyists are telling them, unless they are taking it upon themselves to go out and learn it. Its scary for me most of the time. Like really fucking scary.

5 Likes

Exactly @murphymurri ā€¦ I try not to preach about the purity of rosin. The selling point, as an operator, is the virtually nonexistent risk of explosion or fires during the EXTRACTION process in contrast to alkane or alcohol extraction. IMO there is no need to risk operator safety by storing and transfering high volumes of flammable liquids (sometimes under pressure) when one can achieve the same (or similar) results using only water and minute volumes of naturally occurring hydrocarbons (terpenes).

The only flammable solvent (besides small concentrations of naturally occuring terpenes) in our entire facility is a case of 4 (or less after being opened) gallon jugs of isopropyl alcohol.

Soventless is definitley a lazy, sloppy and misleading misnomer for the sake of marketing and is inaccurate in this case. And solventless insinuates that all solvents are dangerous to work with or consume.
But water is a life-supporting solvent we must injest a large amount of to survive and one that rarely burst into flamesā€¦IME

Perhaps ā€œno added solventsā€ would be an accurate labeling to add to rosin packaging and be more effective in describing the contents and leaving g the process out of the equation.

Similar to this food label widely used for decades

7 Likes

YES! So I buy iso in professional amounts?!

Now all thatā€™s left is to get a professional amount of skill, fans, gear, backers, licensing, good attitude, work ethic and coffee

Maybe a shed to work in too.

Easy! I am so in.

8 Likes

Or for that matter extract mechanically separated trichomes
With ethanol or pentane and examine what remains on the
Submicron filter with a microscopeā€¦millions of ā€œghostā€ trichomesā€¦
Quite empty. I think what is confusing is some references above refer to ā€œextracting trichome cellsā€ā€¦ but they do not understand the nature of the apical storage structure as being topologically exterior to the cells. Clearly, the EM data show a considerable complex nature of the walls of the apical-vacuole storage areaā€¦but I would think that every one by now understands that these walls do not dissolve in ethanol or hydrocarbon. Granted as you increase your water and pH to say greater than 50% and pH greater than 11 one begins to see a considerable amount of lignin extracted. But if all would just do a quick zap of trichomes in ethanol with sonicationā€¦and a microscopic examination it will end all these ideas about dissolving the ā€˜cell wallsā€. This is room temp or colder and atmospheric pressure.
Under high temp 200F (+) and a few tons of pressure (3500 psi), I have not examined extensively. ā€¦the rosin bag remainderā€¦
I have looked at both sugar THCA extrudedā€¦and solid THCA
(Supposedly) that remained in the bagā€¦neither seems to have considerable Cell debrisā€¦. ???(one sample each)
I guess a French press and a terpene slurry of cannabis trichome
Might answer this question.

1 Like