Apparently rosin is chemically extracted

Yeah, in my IG message to her about the oven temp, I mistakenly used flower rosin pressing temp, not a hash/kief pressing temp. Another reason I wish IG had an edit button (and allow the use of paragraphs, lol).

If you’re interested, I can share studies on cannabis trichomes and the one that discussed their silicification. And I may be misremembering as well, so it would be worth my time to refresh myself. Also, at least one (but maybe two) papers or a paper and a review were recently published on trichomes. And, we need not only look for cannabis-specific papers because many plants have the same type of trichomes we’re discussing, often with greater amounts of terpens.

Thank you for being gracious and understanding my position on tone and sarcasm. :peace:

For sure, I agree. But that issue is one of concentration and type. Put some water hash or kief in a bowl filled with warm limonene and they won’t last long. But that’s not analogous to what occurs when pressing.

I’m not saying @murphymurri is incorrect about warm terpenes being the only reason we can collect rosin when pressing, but I am skeptical.

Here’s an illustrative example, which I haven’t done, but I will in the next few weeks:

• Place a pan with a thin layer of dry sift kief into a convection oven preheated to 180’F (average press temp) for 75 seconds (or a bit longer). Then, pull the pan out and see if the trichomes were dissolved, and you have a pan of mushy rosin.
  • Place a pan with a thin layer of freeze-dried water hash into aa convection oven preheated to 180’F (average press temp) for 75 seconds (or a bit longer). Then, pull the pan out and see if the trichomes were dissolved, and you have a pan of mushy rosin.

My guess is you’re not going to see much dissolution of the trichomes, but they will just be shriveled and smaller than they were. If I’m wrong and the pan will be fill with rosin, why the heck is anyone pressing at all? Why isn’t everyone just putting the trichomes/heads into a 25 um bag and placing them in the oven?

Also, when something is dissolved into a solvent, that thing is in solution. So, suppose terpenes inside the trichome heads were dissolving the trichomes from the inside out. In that case, one should expect the trichome cells to disappear as they’re solubilized.

3 Likes