Apothecary36 filter tek 2.0 LLE

Right which is actually why I louche and LLE back into heptane! Thanks for the input

4 Likes

I’ve found louching to push a bit more junk into the nonpolar layer than is desirable, we just run a regular LLE against 90% MeOH and it cleans up better. Plus it saves having to recover the MeOH from a watery mess

6 Likes

Have you tried salt water? I agree it can be a lot cleaner to not add water at all.

1 Like

Salt water is great for pushing everything out of the methanol but that’s less the issue when dealing with really nasty crude than keeping the mildly polar crap in the methanol while still extracting all the cannabinoids. Louching makes almost anything that’s not completely water soluble hop back over to the alkane, at which point you might was well just do a water/brine wash IMO.

2 Likes

How much cannabinoids remain in the heptane layer after LLE washes? Pretty minimal I guess with enough methanol?

1 Like

Idk its fairly minimal I figure you can always rinse with more methanol until it runs clear

3 Likes

Well, I’d say (somewhat unscientifically) not much BUT my GCMS is officially running so I may actually answer that empirically in a few days lol. My guess is maybe 2-5% of starting potency left in the raffinate when going to heptane from methanol and maybe a tenth of that going the other way. To be clear, that’s a guess

4 Likes

I think for the speed you can process this compared to filtration, it’s worth leaving behind some goods. Definitely depends on how much your starting material costs you. Id imagine biomass is cheap for most folks though

We just barrel up our raffinate once we get the solvent out of it. I’m gonna test it and see if it’s worth trying to extract any of the goods from the crap

2 Likes

I was gonna send it to salves in theory but it’s black lol. Maybe I could make some concrete with it

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll sell it to some of these membrane MFGs to show off their color remediation capabilities lol

4 Likes

Lmao that reminds me of when I ran warm alcohol crude through a wiper

I’ve got a bunch of low grade room temp iso and butane extracts.

Gonna go first into heptane, then rinse with water for sugars.

Then gonna do a whole bunch of 90//10 mtoh to get the goodies. Then short path.

I’ve noticed any processing with methanol makes a real red hue. Any color fixes? Just distill it another time?

3 Likes

Not sure on the reds. Sometimes alumina grabs some reds but it’s never satisfied me

Yah, I’m not super in the mood to push back to an alkane and then run it over CRC. Hoping a second short path run would do it, but I guess we’ll have to see

Oh yea short path that shit with a hot condenser. Like super hot if u can without melting gl fittings lol

I’ve got some really dark green crude I dissolved into heptane.

I’m curious if I can pull some color and chlorophyll with some portion of methanol in water, without cannabinoids.

Gonna try 10-50% mtoh and see if I can polish it before moving up to the 90%

This is 60ml mtoh, 300ml water, 300ml cannabinoids laden heptane.

Curious what the white is? I’ll test for cannabinoids

1 Like

Terps?

1 Like

Hmm, that’s a good thought.

@Beaker mentioned that a while back.

Probably need 40-50% mtoh, if the chlorophyll will even sneak out before the cannabinoids

1 Like