Apothecary36 filter tek 2.0 LLE

Ok here’s where you vary a bit

Are you allowing things to settle? Do you think you have residual heptane? What temp and vac level do you recover heptane at?

Dissolving in methanol and not freezing your solution is not enough to fully winterize

1 Like

Mr.RogueLegend…did you read up?

The theory is if there is a “rough” removal of waxes and the solution is LLEd in heptane or hexane that these solvents will pull all the waxes/lipids from the meoh…

With water and this technique you still believe waxes will be left behind?

Technically if the LLE is 100% efficient wouldnt all the waxes be pulled into the hexane/heptane?

If you dont remove all the heptane from your extraction, then you are winterizing with heptane denatured methanol. I don’t get all the heptane removed until I hit 150 c usually and even then I dry under vac.

So then we can dissolve in metoh. 10 to 1 volume

Allow to cool to room temp. Filter with alumina to catch the fats. Bring it to 1 micron.

Now add 50 ml hexane to 1000 ml methanol
Mix for 2 minutes
Let seperate for 10 minutes

Drain methanol layer. Leave a few ml of methanol in the sep funnel/ reactor

Collect hexane, emulsion and trace methanol in a waste container.

(Optional) LLE refined methanol tincture into hexane or heptane by adding 1 part hex/hept to 1 part methanol. Add an additional 2 parts water to louche the cannabinoids out and into the non polar layer.

Collect watery methanol to be seperated via distillation (no azeotrope)

Recover hex or hept solution and it should be around 80% cannabinoids ready for 1st pass distillation

This is how I would have gone about your process.

2 Likes

Alright famalams,

Filter tek 2.0 is here

1. Take your fatty extract and dissolve in heptane or hexane. Roto down the solution to be just a tad under saturated if needed.

2. Add solution to a glass reactor

3. Add 5-10 volumes of dry methanol

4. Drain methanol layer

5. Drain non polar layer and clean the reactor

6. Load the reactor with your methanol solution and add 1 volume of hexane or heptane to 1 volume Methanol

7. Add 2 volumes of brine (Epsom salt and water) per 1 volume of methanol solution

8. Siphon the non polar layer from the top layer using the feed hose from your rotary evaporator. Add clean non polar solvent when the layers are difficult to seperate. The non polar will eventually run clear.

9. Recover your winterized solution and finish with a diligent solvent removal sop

Lastly, recover the methanol from your brine water in rotary evaporator to not waste solvent!

19 Likes

Whats your method of recovery for the Methanol?

2 Likes

Rotovap 60-70 c full vac. Discard the water appropriately. (Water will not distill over until the methanol has distilled)

7 Likes

Hows the clarity after removing the water? ime removing water and meoh in a roto always leaves a big darker oil than ideal. but i would assume this is headed to distillation so it wouldnt really matter as that would bring the color back.

3 Likes

The water and methanol is only recovered for solvent recovery. The oil is in the non polar layer and has good clarity. The key is to dissolve in non polar completely before extraction into the methanol

Sorry does that answer your question

5 Likes

My bad i should have read your run down a little slower. I misinterpreted.

2 Likes

I dont even filter anymore lol :laughing:

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 Whats your tac record with this Tek washing crude?

1 Like

Only tried it once so far but it hit 79 %

I think there’s the potential to hit 85% too

2 Likes

introduction

The purpose of this sop is to take a high fat non polar extract (butane, propane, heptane, hexane) and dissolve the oils and fats in non polar solvent. Then we will extract the oils into methyl alcohol while leaving behind the fats in the non polar solvent. We will then proceed to pull the oil back into a non polar solvent by adding a brine to louche the cannabinoids. The non polar solvent will have a highly refined, winterized solution without any filtration steps needed. :snowboarder:

The purpose of this step is to dissolve all the fats in the non polar layer.

Stainless steel may work, but the brine may cause corroding over time

As per @Beaker tek, we know that methanol has the least solubility in waxes, and also the highest affinity for cannabinoids. Some may argue that using methanol and water will pull less fats and waxes, but I like to assume the hexane/heptane will hold onto those and won’t let go.

All of your cannabinoids should have migrated to the methanol layer.

The reactor will likely have a bit of sludge in it from the non polar layer, so use more non polar to clean it out or perhaps acetone if needed.

At this point, your cannabinoids will be split between the methanol and non polar layer.

We want the methanol concentration to drop to 30-50% with 50-70% h20. This will make all the cannabinoids jump out of the methanol and into the non polar layer.

I dont like to disturb the layers on the final pull. If I were to drain the non polar out the bottom port of the reactor, then the product could catch some floating/ undissolved contamination on the way out of the reactor.

Hexane is toxic and heptanes boiling point is very high. When crude gets very thick, it will make it a lot more difficult to remove heptane and hexane. I know @Cheebachiefextracts mentioned using pentane as a tool to help remove heptane residuals. I’d like to dial this procedure in soon if possible.

Please don’t pollute our planet. Do your part. Be responsible.

11 Likes

So are we aiming for a super quick winterizarion here with minimal filtration repetitions?

2 Likes

Yea I saw summits pig filter ad yesterday or this morning and was like man filtering is sooooo 2020

I was 90% of the way to doing this sop then I saw some hints from our favorite peeps @Kingofthekush420 and rowan lol and I came up with this method for myself to try out. Worked great in my opinion. All from warm heptane extract

6 Likes

@Cheebachiefextracts I added an intro

3 Likes

Gotcha I’ll read back through shortly

Great process overview! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I’ve always found its quicker and easier to do it the opposite way

I’ll go 6:1 into methanol and winterize first, then I’ll wash the methanol with 13x the volume to remove 99% of the cannabinoids

I’ve found its faster to have to evaporate the heptane then the methanol, which is why I’d rather do 13x washes using heptane instead of methanol

5 Likes