Anyone using Sous Vide for cannabis decarbing?

Looking for the best way to decarb a large amount of cannabis without loosing potency. I have heard good things about this method and I’m curious if anyone else has tried it.

If you have any other preferred methods feel free to share, I usually use a mason jar in a double boil.

2 Likes

I have used it with good success. With two sous vides and mason jars I was able to decarb a few pounds at once. There are probably better ways that I am unaware of, but it worked well for me on my small scale

1 Like

We used to just fill metal bins (about 2-2.5lbs per bin) and throw them in a commercial double stacked convection oven. About 2 hours @ 230f got it done so I could decarb about 40lbs every 2 hours using 2 commercial ovens like This

You will have to have them under hood vents though

3 Likes

Define “large amount of cannabis”

A sous vide doesn’t strike me as the right tool for more than a lb or two.

We are talking flower not concentrate yes?

May I ask WHY?

Decarb in the oven also DRYS, which depending on your next step may be a bug or a feature

7 Likes

You can decarb large scale in a 55gal drum with a drum heater for much cheaper than a reactor…. But a reactor is better. Vacuum really helps

8 Likes

Yes, AND it is not yet clear if @fuzecap is decarbing extract or flower.

Wording implies flower :cherry_blossom: imo.

Cheap trolling motor off Craigslist works as an agitator in a 55 gal drum in a pinch.

Edit: absolutely more appropriate for biodiesel production (where I’ve used this trick) than decarbing crude…

6 Likes

Decarbing biomass is best done on the cheap in a ball jar with the lid on at 265c for 26-28mins in a convection oven ime

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Automatic-Stainless-Chemicals-Disperser/dp/B07MVC9CDQ

1 Like

How? (does it depend on where you’re going NEXT?)

Agitation?
Devolatilization?
Contrary to rumor, it does not lower decarb temperature

pulling vac does have other advantages: it can give you more head space to decarb in a sealed container. it also removes all that nasty oxygen that might otherwise attack your carefully bred/grown/extracted secondary metabolites at elevated temperatures (you know, if you’re trying to Decarb under pressure to retain terps?) and don’t feel like spinning them off before decarb.

3 Likes

What’s the end goal decarbing biomass I do it to oil before making gummies. A long time ago ithought it wad overboard but times change no more rasta pasta it needs extract

I’ve done the sous vide method with really great success on solventless products (expensive material means you want to take great care with the decarb to protect as much of the starting terpenes and other cannabinoids as possible). Its like a closed jar oven decarb but you have better control on the temperature so that you are not degrading compounds and getting hot spots. You will need to introduce an oil to the product if its a hash and the process takes a lot longer, but the benefits outweigh the time imo. you can set it overnight and come back the next day. tightly seal your jars and wrap multiple times in a protective layer like saran wrap so you dont get water inside your jars.

1 Like

i have had better success with a normal convection oven than with a sous vide. a double boiler did not work as well as an oven for me.

1 Like

Bucket heater with temp control and water monitoring , same thing just bigger and stronger.electronic water heater elements can be used too. They are all basically the same afaik