Anyone solve Purple Oxidation from converted D9?

some of the gums/fats/waxes off traditional extract in minute amounts?

Did you try to analyse the oxidised d9 to dtermine the extent of alteration wihch this vivid color changes accounts for ? :thinking:

This seems actually pretty limited, and somehow reversible, or mitigable with some easy tricks.

How do you correct this without water washing?

What would you use to analyze it? There aren’t any potency changes and it seems the pigment is VERY minuscule in concentration despite making such a large visual impact

Isn’t tocopherol the cause of the whole Vape crisis?

I’ve been getting that purple color too but it’s not converted

These are all converted D9. In the 90’s none the less… played around with different solvents, temps and other techniques to help with color. I tested everything In house with my gc before sending it off to third party testing. I have chromotagrams from every single reaction I’ve ever done at multiple different intervals throughout the reaction.

Ph would typically be the cause for discoloration as it’s not true for this D9 rxn. I’ve spent full days water washing batches and ensuring that I have a correct ph before distilling and yet, still purple.

Done at scale 8kg batch sizes. (After I nailed the reaction but test batch sizes were 1kg and did those for months before going to scale)

Also, I practiced a variety of other reactions for about 4-6 months as well as performing and perfecting my drying methods and working in anhydrous conditions before attempting this in test 1kg batches.

9 Likes

I noticed the same with our rxn’s. No matter which catalyst or solvent we use, as long as our reaction conditions are gentle, the distillate is water clear or slightly yellow, but turns purple once it gets in contact with air (if the D9 content is high).
If the distillate is hot while it gets in contact with air, it turns purple like your round flask within seconds. If you set it under vacuum again, the distillate starts to bubble like you would purge left over solvent and the purple disappears again.
Not sure what causes the purple color, but its volatile.

Best way for us to prevent the purple color is adding minors (CBC, CBN, CBD, CBG), cannabis derived terpenes and/or unisomerized THC (BHO or other high THC extracts).
We add everything once the distillate is cold and Mix it under argon. After this it looks and behaves like regular distillate without weird purple colors.

8 Likes

This year I am resolving to not reddit, but utube

In the first couple seconds, this tuber glosses over it, nbd

2 Likes

0.5% wax added to a distillate will prevent oxidation.

6 Likes

Yep.

That was pointed out here I believe pH balancing THC distillate (quick oxidation/color issues)

I miss @circus_animal

…and @Beaker (who suggested the waxes as a fix).

6 Likes

OXYGEN!!

you are observing the oxidization of your cannabinoids

11 Likes

Maybe try throwing your CBD under heat and deep vacuum before you react it?

Let me guess

Middle light jar was dcm?

2 Likes

Yup. And also the jar to the right of it.

I’ve ran converter material on both the spd and also on a vta doing an argon backfill through a cap to prevent any oxidation and It was still peach and purple.

4 Likes

delete…

for everyone who is interested.

There are ways of preserving oxidation and degradation.

This is a picture of a test series. All vials contain the same amount of D9 diluted in a solvent, plus additional preservation recipes.

-Vial 1 left side is pure D9

All samples were penetrated with UVC light for quick degradation.

If I will find the time I will check the HPCL results in the next few days. I will update it here.
Wish ya all a nice weekend.

4 Likes

So you’re adding anti oxidants?

1 Like

Summarised yes. :+1:
A good start for researching are degradation processes in the petrochemical and food industry.

There are very well-written papers and the studies have a long history. Google helps.

2 Likes

I’m familiar. I have a bunch of jars sitting just to see what they do. Every thing from carotenoids to waxes to terpenes, nothing really surprising so far. Jars are burped a couple times a week for fresh oxygen.

1 Like