Anyone out there using the new growers choice ROI-E420 LED?

Exactly what I was thinking. Tney would be great for the Veg racks.

5 Likes

Which ones were you talking about?

1 Like

The ones @AgTonik posted a few posts up from Amazon.

3 Likes

Ok was getting lost in all the links from everyone

2 Likes

My next build will be L2 strips from Samsung. I agree the price isn’t the biggest value. I just enjoy my lights being how I want them.

5 Likes

I still tinker with em too, I have some uv pucks I’ve made and some far red ones too.

It’s definitely fun to build exactly what you need, but outside of hobby growing, I don’t personally recommend diy builds now.

4 Likes

The side lighting def helps turned all the middles to tops and bottoms to middles. Don’t have to lollipop as hard. Check out miami mango on ig he he did a detailed garage build out couple yrs ago using leds and side lights. Run a bar along the wall and aisles.

1 Like

I have run through several cycles with Growers Choice ROI E680 and I couldn’t be happier with the results. Took 2 KIND K3-600’s out of several 4x4 bays and replaced them with 1 E680 and increase yield by an average of 30%. There is also less noise from the fans on the K3-600’s and amp usage is less. Dropped the heat by about 3° and that alone makes me smile. I don’t know that I would recommend anything with less output as far as the E420 goes, but that is just me. I have changed out 4 bays now and plan on at least 2 more… good bang for the buck

4 Likes

I feel that is the biggest advantage and I can get my lights closer to my plants. They run cooler because instead of jamming a ton of diodes in a small panel connected to another panel they are spread out over aluminum bars that allow more heat to escape.
I will guess many do not run LED bars because they cost the most $ per watt.

5 Likes

I found they didn’t penetrate the canopy as much.

I had more than a few bar builds, and the tops were great, but anything under that was kinda fluffy.

I had to lst a bunch to get really good results.

I’m using the qb boards now, and I personally feel I get much better penetration and don’t have to do nearly the amount of lst I did before to get the same amount per harvest.

Edit: that’s my personal experience, not saying it’s right or wrong.

3 Likes

All my lowers are hard as rocks. I have never LST. I def don’t have an issue with penetration as mine are bright. I am curious what LED bars you used that did not penetrate?
Mine are just under 4x4 footprint 860w and use 10 bars.
Same as you I am no expert and just giving my honest opinion. I have grown the same strain under both type of lights side by side and I would never buy a LED panel again unless they change something. My 240w panels are even the newest ones that are attached to the aluminum heatsinks.

2 Likes

Did you custom make your 4x4 860w 10bar? Or did I miss the post/link of the details.

2 Likes

Bridgelux v2 strips. I ran em hard and soft.

Bridgelux diodes are pretty much neck and neck with the Samsung lm301b ones, so it wasn’t due to inefficient leds.

Just my personal experience, like I said, it isn’t right or wrong.

3 Likes

I bought these but that was almost 2 years ago before all these new companies started selling them. Prolly better options for the money right now. Mine have 10 separate Mean Well drivers and I see the new versions are running off 1 driver now.
https://www.sunplix.com/product/spled-g2-series-led-grow-light-2/

3 Likes

That might have been the problem(not brand) if they were single strip LEDs.
Mine are grouped together in strips of 3 so more concentrated light.

3 Likes

Could be, this is why I recommend the newer lights instead of diy.

1 Like

What coupon?

2 Likes

There’s a 20 off one when I look at it.

6 Likes

Shit!!! I wonder how 3 or 4 of these would go up against my 2x315 cmh in veg.

100.00… I spent that much on dinner tonight. It was a king crab night at the house. 5lbs.

Edit, make it 4 or 5

5 Likes

@Curious_Roberto Agreed that the bars need to be a lot closer to the plants vs the qb. I had the same issue first few rounds.

@Baked-All-Day your at 860w vs a fluence at 660ish. So you’ll for sure see better penetration than us.

2 Likes