Anyone ever defat Mimosa Hostilis root bark with butane before?

I read somewhere that butane is special among the alkanes in that its dipole movement is influenced to a greater degree by temperature than any of the other alkanes commonly used as slovents.

So I got to thinking that if I pushed hot butane through a column of powdered MHRB I would be able to totally strip the material of fats and maybe even extract the pigments while leaving the alkaloids.

I’m gonna try it anyhow, but I was wondering if anyone else had done the same.

12 Likes

I think @Photon_noir has talked about it being a very early on filtration power but not exactly sure on that don’t quote me.

2 Likes

This is fantastic.

I’m also convinced there are alternative extraction methods for kratom.
Looks at 5kg of kratom a vendor sent me as a “sample”.

13 Likes

Man I wish folks would send me samples.
Looks at AgTonik who got the dope daddy fulvic…

12 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Only mention I found find of photon talking about DMT was sublimation and he stated that sublimation works very well for DMT. As luck would have it @david is currently in the process of making me a custom sublimator unit, similar to the chemtek but larger.

I’ll have an answer soon enough. I also plan on seeing if alkaline or neutral ph water extracts or destroys any 5-meo-dmt. If it doesn’t then that’s just one more step you could take to ensure purity, although it’s a bit of a moot point seeing as how freeze precipitation of 5-meo is so effective at returning a pure product from a crude solution with minimal effort.

Maybe the information will become useful at scale?

10 Likes

I’ve never looked to far into that side of things, but it’d be worth it to get some more insight on that thread as well, I seeeeent it lol. Had me wanting to know more for the “ultimate spd”

3 Likes

should work, let me know how that goes…just for knowledge of course…cough…

5 Likes

Hey so check this out, the freebase is very soluble in acetone, so what about a ph modified acetone wash to strip the goodies after the defat rinse?

4 Likes

If you have good Mimosa h. inner root bark, you shouldn’t have to defat at all. Very minimal fats. Straight to base, precip, and the re-xstall will give you a pretty clean product.

Though, ever since Jose disappeared in Brazil, it’s hard to find bark of that quality anymore.

Acacia is a different story, definitely will need to perform an acidification and defat.

11 Likes

Nice I believe I just acquired a sublimator, I bought a ton of glassware from someone off Craigslist. It was a bunch of old glass an employee got from the pharmaceutical company they worked for.

4 Likes

I’m so jealous!!! I can’t ever find any killer deals like that up here in AK!

3 Likes

Nice sublimator unit, mines gonna have an open top instead of hose connections like yours has. I plan on using liquid co2 for the cold finger.

2 Likes

add a couple soda ash washes and dry with epsom salts and you’ll have nice white crystals

2 Likes

I like to save the fumaric acid saturated acetone for after I’ve already got my goodies off my biomass. Would cost quite a bit to do the extraction in a closed loop with acetone, not only because the cost of the acetone but also the cost of new gaskets for my system lol.

4 Likes

you can get ptfe gaskets

3 Likes

I’ve got a budget to be work off of, if I was making money on the endeavor then I’d be more inclined to spend my savings on these kinds of things.

I’m pretty good about modifying procedures to work with my setup.

4 Likes

Yes, @ScoobyDoobie, I have used butane to extract MHRB. I saturated the powder with milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide in water), then dehydrated it at low temperature in an oven. I reground the material and packed the XPhase-50 (about 1oz sealed BHO extractor pipe system) loosely with fibers and powder to ensure liquid could flow. I sealed the system and froze it so I could easily fill it with butane through the upper check valve, then allowed it to warm to room temperature for an hour or so. Then I re-froze the unit to liquefy the butane once more, and expelled the liquid through the lower needle valve into a glass dish. The result was a small amount of yellow oil that smelled distinctly of DMT.

The main difficulty in this process will be flow, because bark powder is very fine. To do a larger amount of bark, I recommend a jacketed column on a heater/chiller, and making a parfait of powder & cotton layers in the column. Each layer should be about the same depth and the cotton should remain mostly uncompressed.

It is important to alkalinize the powder with aqueous base prior to extraction. You can use milk of magnesia as described above.

Cotton batting for quilting can be cut into discs and layered with the MHRB powder in the column. Fill the column with butane while chilled (just to -5°C), then close it off with some open headspace and allow it to warm up to no more than 30°C. Let sit for 1 hour, then chill again and drain through a cotton depth filter.

24 Likes

So butane was able to actually dissolve the dmt? That wasn’t my original intention but its interesting nonetheless. @Photon_noir

4 Likes

Oh, yes. I did a dry STB type extraction.

8 Likes