Anyone ever defat Mimosa Hostilis root bark with butane before?

What was the yeild like?

1 Like

itā€™s been a decade since I messed with MHRB but it tends to yield in the neighborhood of 1% iirc

1 Like

I think he was asking photon what his yield was when using the process he described with the butane.

4 Likes

got my new 5L separatory funnel in from @david

he made it so much better than the last one I got from a nobody

itā€™s much longer for easier separation

idk if Iā€™ll ever quit crockpot cooking a/b style

4 Likes

did you achieve the 1% with that method?

2 Likes

one would think if this way works weā€™d already know but Iā€™d be blown away if it does . much faster

1 Like

Iā€™m absolutely sure folks have thought about this before but 9/10 psychonaut labs are not as well equipped as we are.

They kind of just use whatever they have lying around for extraction. Very few even have proper glassware let alone stainless steel vessels that are able to be pressurized. So I think as far as dmt extraction goes, the average person would rather not fuck with something that aint broken i.e. heptane or hexane as the solvent.

The main reason I see that butane isnā€™t used is because its dangerous compared to heptane, and the dangers just arenā€™t necessary. Why work with something that needs to be pressurized or cold to be a liquid?

7 Likes

1% was STB with naptha and several ph 10 sodium carbonate brine rinses, followed by drying with anhydrous MgSO4 and freeze precipitated

3 Likes

I could have thought of cleaner routes but gets the job done aye?

1 Like

Aye laddy. I think that butane as a solvent will lend itself very well to larger scale extractions so once the technique becomes as mainstream as the equipment needed to do it more DMT will be available to the masses.

Iā€™m sure companies who supply mhrb will be happy about it. Theoretically you could freeze precip directly from the butane after extraction.

3 Likes

then Iā€™m gonna try it open blasting style and letā€™s put the story to bed?

what I need to doā€¦? weigh bark for input and output numbers. make slurry w distilled water and lye. add bark stirr very well, hit correct ph ,let cool(I now have straight to basic bark)ā€¦ pack open blast tube and blast? to test Iā€™m gonna use open blast glass as not to ruin my extractor

I mean I theory one could pressurize a tank of heptane if it worked better stb

I use acacia mainly but I know where to acquire a lil mimosa

1 Like

The only attractive part of using butane in my opinion is its ease of evaporation and the fact that a lot of folks who frequent f4200 usually have a lot of butane on site.

I think that soaking the biomass in a large vessel would be a better option than trying to push solvent thru a column.

You would have to make sure you dry out your bark powder as much as possible if you want to see decent flow rates thru ur column, even if you packed it in layers like the way photon described.

2 Likes

It appeared to be on par with expectations for such a small batch (about 9 cubic inches of bark powder & fiber). It was enough oily residue to feel and smell, but not a sufficient dose.

1 Like

Btw, folks and the OP, DMT is somewhat amphoteric, meaning the free base is soluble in both polar and non-polar solvents. Unless you make sure the DMT is adequately salted with insoluble inorganic acid, the butane may very well dissolve it right out of the bark, even without treating the bark with alkali. It has never really been necessary or viable to ā€œdefatā€ MHRB prior to alkaloid extraction. It simply doesnā€™t workā€¦ or at least it doesnā€™t accomplish anything, whether or not there are truly ā€œlipidsā€ present in the woody tissue. The annoying yellow stuff is nearly impossible to separate from the DMT by normal extraction methods.

The one thing that truly works is forming a sort of salt ā€œcomplexā€ of the DMT molecules (2 per acid) with fumaric acid in anhydrous acetone, which precipitates, leaving the majority of acetone soluble crap behind in the solution. The fumarate can be washed (triturated) with dry acetone, then the salt can be dissolved, alkalinized, and DMT extracted by LLE with several partitions of the aqueous layer with an alkane. The process can be repeated for even higher purity.

If the material is old or its age is suspect, I recommend treating an initial filtered aqueous acetic acid extract of the bark with zinc metal powder and heat to reduce any DMT n-oxide to DMTā€¦ although the oxide is also psychoactive.

11 Likes

simple glass jar and heat it up in heptane. the yellow oil will stay intact In bottom, decant solvent off leaving behind oil. keep solvent cold crash bam yellow oil gone or let sit to grow clear crystals

personally, that oil hardens like wax over time if separated. I dont even separate anymore bc I believe its nmt and dmt cocktail. its highly trpytamine. it def impacts the trip like changa

lately I seen pics others that was solid yellow powerdsā€¦ mines light yellow whitefish after cold crash

but this is really interesting it works or might work for quick clean up hmmm got me thinking

now guys can strip the fats off the bark by heptane wash off the bark through same setup before w maybe heptane or just bag wash

2 Likes

There are at least 2 or 3 different yellow compounds to contemd with in DMT extractions. The one you are talking about is the essence of what many call ā€œjungle spiceā€ and it is indeed a mixture of alkaloids of some sort, probably dissolved in phytol or other xanthophylls/carotenoids.
The stuff to which I am referring is a plant waxā€¦ literally just a hard wax like carnuba, candelilla, or jojoba. It does nothing but clog narrow pipeways when vaporized. Luckily, it seems to be fairly innocuous to inhale, but doing so is worthless.

The fumarate salt dissolves in water and apparently also alkanes, so make certain that neither are present when you are trying to precipitate this salt.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @david

13 Likes

Whatā€™s that? A giant sublimator?

5 Likes

Yessir.

3 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes