Anyone ever built a chiller + reservoir in a freezer?

I have done this before and it worked pretty well. You just need a lot of PG to keep it rocking effectively.

A freezer has hardly any chilling capacity you need to use a window AC

2 Likes

I ran 2 cmepol’s off it and got over a lb min running ober 100f collection pot wayer it would work for 5 days then take off the weekend and by then it was frozen solid again. Never used a single lb of dry ice, and using 100+psi vapor pushes. Just how i had it set up im sure theres better ways but no chiller no dry ice just a freezer from sears I couldn’t complain

4 Likes

I found when i got s sure flow pump so the sump pump wasnt in the water heating it up it worked even better and i didnt have any pg in the water that was next if that set up wasn’t effective enough

How much solvent do you recover using this?
How much warmer was it at the end of the run?

Theough out the day 200# give or take. The water wojldnt melt all the ice that would take 4-5 days and then do other stuff on the weekends while the freezer completely refeoze. But like i said once i stopped using a sump pump which was adding alot of heat to rhe wayer and got a sure flow pump that sat on top of the freezer it helped immensely

2 Likes

Link to pump? What size freezer? Think im going to do this

17 cf kenmore from sears. I don’t remember the pump model bur sureflow was the manufacturer and they have tons of options if your only using water (which is what there usually for) you dont need any special seals in the pump. I was nust using a sump pump which generated alot of heat

1 Like

Would you freeze your coils in the ice or did you put water and let it freeze amd add more water?

It was pumping water to heat exchangers

1 Like

Chest freezer, reservoir w/magnetic drive pump (with potentiometer), glycol water mix. Return line goes through a coil in a block of ice before returning to the reservoir. ~$200 to put together.
Ran a 5L roto a few times a week for more than a year.

If you ever have a chiller that won’t keep up and want to try to give it a boost, the coils in blocks of ice on the return line help to give it a boost.

1 Like

Got a pic?

No, disassembled a while ago and turned into a kegerator. On that note, to run the lines, do the wooden extension/lift people do to add nozzels for their kegs. Let’s you drill through wood to run your lines as opposed to the freezer itself.

Like this;

4 Likes

Was this in the same room as your extractor? Would you unplug the freezer if so?
How much water did you use to fill the bottom for the ice block in the bottom?

It was in another room and i just filled 80% or so then every day add just enough so the pump was in water cause it had to be pulled out every night or it would freeze it up

1 Like

How ?!

try Search results for 'window ac' - Future4200

or see: Chiller Hack (DIY)

1 Like

I have 2 5 gal buckets of glycol and a tank of tane in there. Its not safe Ive seen the shimmer from hydrocarbons in there. thats the tane tank nott the glycol. In the end- during corona I need the freezer space fro food and can buy regular ice and salt if I cant get dry ice.

lots of posts on here how to make one. a lot of at home brewers make glycol chillers as well

1 Like