Anyone ever built a chiller + reservoir in a freezer?

It was pumping water to heat exchangers

1 Like

Chest freezer, reservoir w/magnetic drive pump (with potentiometer), glycol water mix. Return line goes through a coil in a block of ice before returning to the reservoir. ~$200 to put together.
Ran a 5L roto a few times a week for more than a year.

If you ever have a chiller that won’t keep up and want to try to give it a boost, the coils in blocks of ice on the return line help to give it a boost.

1 Like

Got a pic?

No, disassembled a while ago and turned into a kegerator. On that note, to run the lines, do the wooden extension/lift people do to add nozzels for their kegs. Let’s you drill through wood to run your lines as opposed to the freezer itself.

Like this;

4 Likes

Was this in the same room as your extractor? Would you unplug the freezer if so?
How much water did you use to fill the bottom for the ice block in the bottom?

It was in another room and i just filled 80% or so then every day add just enough so the pump was in water cause it had to be pulled out every night or it would freeze it up

1 Like

How ?!

try Search results for 'window ac' - Future4200

or see: Chiller Hack (DIY)

1 Like

I have 2 5 gal buckets of glycol and a tank of tane in there. Its not safe Ive seen the shimmer from hydrocarbons in there. thats the tane tank nott the glycol. In the end- during corona I need the freezer space fro food and can buy regular ice and salt if I cant get dry ice.

lots of posts on here how to make one. a lot of at home brewers make glycol chillers as well

1 Like