Any Way to Measure Actual Inline Solvent Temp?

Hey guys, is there anyway to measure the solvent temperature inline? I’m trying to figure out what the temp is coming out of my jacketed solvent tank before it enters the coil/dry-ice and then again after it comes out of the coil/dry-ice before entering the material column.

Really trying to get a grasp on how much cooling/loss is taking place through the lines on the system and also just have a better understanding of how much cooling i’m actually achieving with my given setup.

3 Likes

im very familiar with this; put a tee on you inlet and your outlet then throw a thermocouple onto the tee;

youll want something like this probe; (this particular one will be too long to fit in a tee; but you get the idea.)
https://www.amazon.com/Detachable-Thermocouple-Temperature-Waterproof-Resistance/dp/B08KG83ZKJ/ref=sr_1_14?crid=RHKVD6E41JWG&dchild=1&keywords=npt+thermocouple&qid=1615060858&sprefix=NPT+thermo%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-14

get one thatll fit into the tee; attach a reader to the thermocouples and you can calculate the delta between the inlet and the outlet

edit: also just realized you want extraction solvent temp; this is specifically for jacket fluids; but the “hack” remains the same; add a tee somewhere inline; and attach a NPT or whatever probe to it

9 Likes

I’ve been looking into this as well. What’s a solid multi probe reader you’d suggest?

I hear k -type probes can be used in a 1/8” compression fittings

1 Like

Yeah they absolutely can!

My go to reader is this guy; https://www.amazon.com/Instruments-Thermometer-Thermocouple-Temperature-K-Thermocouple/dp/B00M9Z3JJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=4+channel+thermocouple+reader&qid=1615061642&sr=8-5

I have a bunch of them, they are tanks.

6 Likes

Yes bro, if you want a for sure right fit, swagelok tee 1/8” tube fitting… and slide the k type fitting through it and swage them ferrules. Accurate temp read in line.

6 Likes

The only problem I have with a compression fittings is the introduction of another potential leak point; with the probe I linked it’s all sealed and standalone; you just need an NPT threaded tee; and yhe only potential failure point is via the threads.

Either way will work fine; here is a compression fitting made specifically for thermocouple probes. Thermocouple Compression Fittings - NPT Thread

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time finding any thermocouples shorter than the one you posted previously (1.5inches). Anyone else had any better luck on matching a thermocouple to the NPT tee?

I found these screw-in type, but the temperature ready only goes to 0*C and we need it to be much lower. Screw in type found here: Amazon.com

3 Likes

let me dig a bit ill find a suitable one;

i always get my probes from omega; they are expensive but the best.

edit: also linked is a cheaper option.

4 Likes

You’re the man!

With relation to the omega probes, what effect does the ohm rating have on the probe chosen? Is there a specific requirement for the controller you listed or will any of them work?

1 Like

These are neat but very expensive
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/process_control_-a-_measurement/flow_sensors/magnetic-inductive_flow_meters/fmm100-1002?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54pYcPqCMZ54P3wc8U8bRbS3CPK2x5GLh8cCZMW5GeYb0i0kSVNnXZAaAsZ_EALw_wcB

3 Likes

Only good down to -4 though and it’s not measuring temp right? Just flow

so the one i specifically linked was a thermistor; which was a mistake on my part rushed the search. You can still use it just need to find/build a suitable reader, with what i linked it would be pretty easy to set up an arduino to read it

But I could never recommend janky arduino builds in potentially explosive environments; so disregard the thermistor

Here is a type k in the from omega; you can click the customize button and have the sensor built to your specs. The reader I linked earlier would be able to read this; lead time is a bit long at 4 weeks; that second option is probably your quickest bet; will work with the linked reader aswell

1 Like

im pretty sure those measure temp as part of the algorithm they use to determine flow rate; im almost positive

1 Like

Learn something new everyday.

1 Like

$530 for an explosion proof RTD w temperature display is the way to go. You just have to wire in DC power.

Best way is to draw out a P&ID of you system, decide where you want sensors and have them all read out on one screen.

You will also need and AC to DC inverter to take you 120V AC power to either 5V or 24V DC.

4 Likes

you got the plug on c1d1 .25" pipe plug probes?? the short stubby ones?

1 Like

It looks like that only reads down to -34.4c… definitely need something lower.

Looks like this one doesn’t go below 0* c

you have to go into customize and build the probe out;

is probably your quickest option; the one i linked before

i agree with phil; an RTD would be ideal; but reading it isnt as easy as a type K; @TheGratefulPhil whats an easy off the shelf solution (perhaps even explosive resistant) for the RTD you linked? how would you do it?

2 Likes