Any Way to Measure Actual Inline Solvent Temp?

If you can connect w a rep at Dwyer or mettler toledo they will hook it up with whatever fitting type and temp range you need.

If y’all want help send me a DM I think I have a card somewhere in the ol rolodex

2 Likes

Look into AC gauges like testo 550. I’m sure the models for certain gas goes lower than 0c.

https://www.trutechtools.com/Refco-4687789-TAP-DOUBLE-SET-Wireless-Digital-Pressure-and-Temperature-Gauges?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54qlO4GXn1aZZYvu_s7qGlPfhl8dfUP9zwTUR-_NaF09cYNfu5Xv-C4aAlNDEALw_wcB

https://www.trutechtools.com//Hilmor-Dual-Readout-Thermometer-And-Clamps-DROT2TCC-1839106_p_4685.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7YyCBhD_ARIsALkj54oKgWIw95mUCtMSsJz80SzGt07uHsRzZyY478wKCaKveEPLl2qzYf0aAszzEALw_wcB

1 Like

I’m actually in the process of this myself
I got thermoprobes from nboler that are 1/4”

5 Likes
4 Likes

Nifty!

1 Like

I bought this one for my recovery tank…

NPT Threaded Thermometer with Adjustable Bottom Connection, 24" Long Stem, 5" Dial Diameter

I think the old school analog ones are the way to go, unfortunately mine only goes to -40C.

2 Likes

I have ultrasonic flow metering systems that monitor both flow rate and temp and work fantastically

Model?

I’m using the Ching Chong TUF-2000M now

3 Likes

you don’t consider NPT to be more leak prone than dual ferrule instrumentation compression fittings? Or you’re comparing NPT to compression with the “repositionable” plastic compression sleeves?!? (not a pressure thank you!)

I’d like to bring everyone’s attention to the difference between grounded vs ungrounded thermocouples. mainly so y’alls don’t have to learn it the same way I did (by getting it wrong. Doh!).

you want UNGROUNDED thermocouples.

The effects of a ground loop can vary…[snip] In some cases the measuring device may become electrically damaged and stop working. In extreme cases, there may be smoke. [or IGNITION!!]

How do I prevent a ground loop?

A good rule to follow is to have only one ground in an instrument loop. You have two choices: Ground either the transmitter (connection head) or the controller/recorder, but not both…[snip] using an ungrounded thermocouple is the failsafe way to eliminate ground loops.

FAQs About Thermocouple Selection: Grounded vs. Ungrounded - WIKA blog

I’m guessing this explains why I can get solid temps from either of the thermocouples I just installed, but not both…but I’m open for other suggestions. both K type. pretty sure they’re both grounded (#(@$@#!!!). when I plug them both in, both temps are now wrong.

@RockSteady, happen to know if those data loggers you pointed at are isolated?

2 Likes

cant say i do; ive never had a problem with them personally; let me see if i can find a spec sheet

what happened? super curious

1 Like

all the probes I purchased are of the grounded variety…

and that would appear to be the reason I can read either the solvent tank, or the injection temp, but not both on the same reader (tried more than one reader, two brands too).

best guess is “ground loop”. currently.

and that seems like it qualifies as a potential ignition source if

can be taken at face value…

I saw someone bitching about a thermocouple reader blowing “another” thermocouple the other day. Wondering what that is about too. (sounds like smoke to me…).

2 Likes

definitely some electrickery at work there!

1 Like

hopefully not an ignition source either