Anti-oxidation R&D

This post will be short and sweet.

We have spoken as a group about oxidation, the general concensus is that compounds like tocopherol (Vit E) taste like shit and the change in flavor is not worth any benefit gained.

Has anyone ever tried using Ascorbic acid? If not, someone needs to vape some in distillate…for science.

5 Likes

huffing one’s meds is demonstrably suboptimal in most cases.
is now I should huff my vitamin C too?

so long as it’s for science… :wink:

3 Likes

B12 supplement vape juice currently exists…we must be living in the future already.

3 Likes

The perfect anti oxidant would taste just like bacon.

8 Likes

Pun intended?

4 Likes

Can you provide some context. Why or what molecule are we trying to prevent oxidation of?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0797ZLRTC/ref=psdcmw_3774741_t1_B01KB3EM9U
People will just about huff anything nowadays!

1 Like

I believe the discussion is supposed to be about preventing oxidation of THC in high purity distillate.

apparently some of us miss @circus_animal

5 Likes

@cyclopath :kissing_heart:

I posted the solution a while back; if I post it again, will I get a cut of the Triad gangster fees after it gets moved behind the paywall?

He is probably still here, he has just been silenced for his misbehavior. He is welcome to create a new account and try again to act right. Which makes me think, maybe we should instate rules of conduct @sidco

3 Likes

I looked through all 8 posts you’ve made and didn’t see any mention of a solution to oxidation.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that if I degum excessively the end distillate is much more likely to oxidize. Which leads me to believe the Phospholipids are having an antioxidive effect.

If so, perhaps a certain amount of Phospholipids should be added back to the material, either pre or post final distillation?

Degum for adsorption, regum for distillation? @Shadownaught

5 Likes

This is the new account.

And, I’m not trying to start shit here, but yet another discrepancy from what photon had previously stated, that the oxidation is from a lack of degumming. This was way back when the (mis)information out on color change and oxidation was falsely believed to be due to pH, perpetuated in part by @Photon_noir. ( please let’s not start a discussion about this, a post exist s where he clearly states low PH equals this color neutral pH equals okay, and high pH equals that color.)

Maybe we can stop taking random ass guesses and stating them as fact? I mean, if you want to take random guesses, that be perfectly fine but let’s state them as a random ass guess, and not present it as a fact. I’ve posted factual data on actual experiments done and actual results produced from said experiments on the previous account

3 Likes

Again, gum (lecithin) oxidation color change and pH color changes are completely separate issues. I have stated and restated that several times. They both happen, but they are independent of one another.

7 Likes

seriously, there’s Vitamin C that needs to be huffed.

get back to work…

4 Likes

You are always welcome to disagree here man!

Your personal attacks on other members will not be tolerated however. (Not that I think anything you have said in this thread is a personal attack fyi)

3 Likes

We store and purchase essential oils in brown or blue glass yet we store our distillate in clear glass jars and carts. I don’t know how the market would accept distillate in blue/brown glass. I also don’t know if it would slow down oxidization/color change. All I know is that the cart I keep in my desk drawer stays the same color way longer than the one I keep in my car. The one in the car changes color way quicker even in the winter when it is very cold all the time. Also, carts with distillate and 5% terps change color way faster than raw distillate carts. Just thought I would share those observations.

2 Likes

Light doesn’t help, but it’s not really all that necessary to use anything besides clear colorless containers (because brown/blue won’t be easily accepted) while maintaining a long enough typical dispensary shelf life cycle without oxidation / degradation.

light (or UV) loves to make some free radicals or give oxidation a little push so these are definitely valid points. pH huigely affects color in many chemicals which is often hugely helpful and fun and reversible.

To prevent U/V use colored glass or some form of uv blocker tat doesnt make your distillate taste like effluence from the “nasty chemical” factory. To prevent oxidation… remove the oxidation. Cover your distillate with nirotgen or argon or some such unreactive gas. And refrigerate.

Adding in extra chemicals can help further but as this is to be smoked/vaped and not eaten or rubbed on the skin this is the route that I would use.

3 Likes

There’s plenty of distillate that holds stability plenty long in clear glass containers in a bright room with nothing but a standard screw lid or plastic wrap not touching the surface of the distillate, without using anything but atmospheric air to fill the void.

Although doing what you say won’t hurt per se, it isn’t all that necessary to achieve “good enough” shelf life of a typical cycle length (time from mfgr to wholesale sales to packaging to distribution to retail sales to a week in end consumer possession, with maybe a few days to a week of gap in between each change of hands) and is a royal pain in the dick.

Not to mention it will only cover the first few change of hands, so the workaround you mention is very ineffective since once it gets past wholesale and gets broken down or retail packaged, you have zero control and still likely weeks away from end user possession.

Saying to store in inert gases/vac/cold storage tells me you deal in extremely small volumes very near the consumer, or don’t understand the logistics process after it leaves your hands, or simply don’t care.

If you say “who cares, I already made sales, not my problem” then I have no more to say to you as it’s not worth the time explaining something to someone who takes no pride in their work and doesn’t stand behind their work, simply doesnt GAF. By handing a known hot potato to someone after going thru efforts to mask said problem, it makes you no better than a scammer IMO.

1 Like