Darkening cartridges

Hello so I am having this issue where my cartridges are darkening after a week or so, I have cartridges made from another guys distillation and they do not darken ever and no matter how long they sit around for, both distillation are being mixed with the same coconut oil and same Terps, is there a chance that the distillation that darkens is having some sort of chemical reaction with the coconut oil or Terps or the combination of both coconut oil and Terps. As I stated the one batch of distillation doesn’t ever darken but the other batches I get from a guy darkens like clock work after mixing the cutting agent and Terps in with the distillation.

2 Likes

It could be the brand/type of cartridge. The search bar on cartridges should lead you to some posts about ph levels of material in the cartridge affecting the color. Hope this helps!

1 Like

It’s deeper than that:

This might help

Do you know how the offending distiller’s crude is extracted? How about the purity?

3 Likes

I am the one making the crude and then I am the one making the crude solution and then processing the crude solution.

do you preprocess your crude yourself? Winterizing, degumming, devol?

I winterize and I do not degum yet and I dont know what devol

that is an impressive amount of links/quotes and you sir are a gentleman and a scholar for taking the time to put this info together for our friend- kudos to you.

5 Likes

Hes awesome for doing that for me thank you very much everyone who is helping me out

are you doing a carbon filtration before its winterized? carbon filtration should help remove some of the coloring issues you are having. we do one cold, one warm then put it on rotovap before distillation. we havent had any color issues since changing to this method.

1 Like

Ok, cause if it is the exact same crude, and the distillers put out the exact same product, and only one distiller’s product oxidizes, then one distiller is adding a step.

Does the offending distiller give you less dist. in trade for your crude? I think he is degumming and leaving the solution slightly acidic.

That’s about all the info I have for you my friend, you can search “quinoids”. A word of warning, that rabbit hole is dominated by the phd savages here, and you’ll need to use google to translate every other word… at least i did :sweat_smile:

Other places that need tagging are the red ring of death thread and the color thread

They all point to the same quinoids. We used to think it was CBN before @Photon_noir came around with his data. My last word of warning is this is all relatively new and experimental, so no one here or in the wild can give you a definitive answer on what they are and how to stop them until we all have more data.

The only guy I knew about that focused on this is now dead.

The only quick fix I can think of, is putting your carts in the vacuum oven and loosely putting on their silicone tops and drawing vacuum. When the vac breaks, they should suck down and hold a weak vac inside the cart till your customer gets it.

4 Likes

you could also dispense and cap in a glove box with an inert gas.

1 Like

Will a media blasting box sealed with silicone work?

1 Like

probably, you want a low flow meter going from your tank to the chamber and a check valve with next to no cracking pressure on the exhaust of the chamber to prevent over pressurization and prevent back flow.

1 Like