Another Newbie looking for Help with budget pumps!

80c bath temp is perfectly fine

150c is hot condenser tek

250c is volcano condenser tek (lol)

9 Likes

Is this for real!? I already set one house on fire.

1 Like

Just an update on where my research has led me, hoping for feedback that matches my goals.

I know allot of the folks here are totally in it for the business end. I am not. I am just looking to process enough oil for my own personal use.

Iā€™m now thinking of a 500ml setup. I think 2L will be far too big for me. I harvest about 22 ounces of biomass every 3 months or so. Iā€™m going to dedicate half to oil, then keep the other half to keep as flower. So, Iā€™m really looking to process about 10 ounces or so of bud (with the sugar leaves).

Right now, I have a welch 1400 and a Yellow Jacket. The yellow jacket info is here, its the 6cfm model:

For a heat bath, I now have a Fisher Scientific Isotemp 202:

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/fisher-scientific-isotemp-digital-control-water-baths-model-202-7/p-4903854

At this point, I am looking for a glass kit, with a mantle and stands. Before I pull the trigger, Iā€™m going back and forth on the size, 500ml, 1L, 2L.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Probably 500. Was reading earlier today that someone here on future4200 is auctioning @Beaker (RIP)
500 mill setup.

3 Likes

Iā€™d go for the 500ml setup personally. It takes quite a bit of material to get 1000ml (Iā€™ve ran with 700ml in the bf) after decarb.

I need to wash about 20lbs trim to get near 1000ml crude after decarb. Its normally 700-900ml.

And x2 on @Beaker items!

2 Likes

Thanks @Defender and @Demontrich. I am more and more leaning towards a 500ml.

I did see the Beaker items. I was all ready to throw my hat in, but I am confused if thatā€™s a 250ml setup, because one of the guys also threw a 500ml kit up there. So two kits in the same thread.

For sure, I think 500ml is the way. Talking with the other local guys that I grow with, even if we pool our raw mats together, we would have 5 pounds every 3-5 months.

If you guys donā€™t mind, could I keep posting where I am at with this process, and get feedback? Iā€™ve been doing my research and reading for a very very long time, and am just putting the rig together. I donā€™t even know any of you, but Iā€™ve already read all your posts over the last year or so. Without knowing it, youā€™ve already helped me a ton!

5 Likes

I should say, that comment about you all helping me was directed at the wider crowd! Iā€™d hate to leave folks out in a call out. Great community here!

3 Likes

Hey late to the party here, but if you ever have any questions on vacuum equipment, feel free to shoot me a message. I flip pumps on the side and 90% of the time that involves some kind of rebuild, so Iā€™ve been inside most common pumps for this industry. If you find the Welch to be too slow let me know and Iā€™ll keep my eye out for something with higher throughput.

5 Likes

If you havenā€™t made the purchase already, Iā€™d say the 250ml spd kit being offered up is a good bargain. And you wouldnā€™t have to worry about gathering so much crude for a run.

I was curious, but couldnā€™t justify all the other costs associated with getting started. Plus the amount of material needed for any spd run kinda rules it out for me.

Anyway, good luck with it all!

I agree with @Demontrich ~20lbs of trim usually yields me close to a liter of finished crude. With 10ozā€™s, even if itā€™s high quality youā€™re looking at maybe just over 100g of crude. Maybe 100-150? And I donā€™t think youā€™d wanna wait another 3 months just to run, so the 250 ml might be right up your alley.

2 Likes

I canā€™t find a thread that has the info on the @Beaker glass. Iā€™m looking to find out what is included.

Itā€™s the most of the glass needed and the heating mantle. Youā€™ll still need a cold trap from my understanding.

I was looking at prices on just the glass for a 250ml kit, and it was like 350.

Make em an offer!!!

@cyclopath, care to add any information to entice this man?

Iā€™m curious why most always refer to yields in crude? Why never the final pass amount? Iā€™d love to hear some results. Iā€™ve heard numbers like 70% yield from crude usually but just curious!

I hit 75% on average of mains

2 Likes

Thanks @Demontrich

On average, where does that leave you on potency? Assuming you reduced the crude to 75%.

P.S. what do you have the most trouble with remediating?

Well I usually do go off of final yield, however I was going off finished crude yield so that the OP could see just how much heā€™ll actually have to load in the flask.

We are yielding about 60-65% mains on our crude.

1 Like

The runs Iā€™ve done, 86%, 91%, and 92%

75% is what I pull from the decarbd crude.

Imo, potency depends on how you swap flasks. Swap too early you adding Terps, too late tour adding tails. Iā€™m still refining my flask swap times.

4 Likes

mono cow?

@Curious_Roberto posted a link.
the ā€œkitā€ is pictured in post four of: 500ml or 2L - #4 by cyclopath

whatā€™s included (essentially as picturedā€¦):
mantle, boiling flask, cow, several receiving flasks (I think there might be 4).
pretty sure I can come up with an analog thermometer that fits.
I donā€™t know what @beaker was using for a cold trap, so youā€™ll need one of those.

whatā€™s not included: pump, vac gauge (Iā€™ve seen it done without, I donā€™t recommend starting out that way). I did run into a JB DV-22N digital gauge that measures down to 10um for $150 just the other day. not ideal, but might be sufficient. Iā€™m currently running a JB DV-41 ($250) on our 2L systems. Itā€™s better than running blindā€¦

Also missing klet clips and GL14 connectors. Some folks just run them as if they were hose barbs (push the hose over the threads rather than using the correct adaptor).

I donā€™t believe that the mantle has built in stirring (Iā€™ll check). even if it does, @beakers stirbars did not make it into my hands, so youā€™re on your own there as well. [can anyone address how no stirbar will work?!?]

Iā€™m doing a training run for our new crew members this morning, and if I donā€™t run into any snags, it might be amusing to fire up the little rig and see how it behaves.

If I was to guess, Iā€™d say @beaker was running this on a robinaire hvac pump at one point. He eventually threw several $k at an edwards EM30 & an appropriate vac controller. although I donā€™t know that he ever hooked this little SPD up to it.

If i do have time to run it, Iā€™ll probably try it with the hvac pump. or at least try pulling the system down with said robinaire.

Iā€™d say it was a decent deal for $250. with the understanding that @Roguelab offered that mostly on sentimental value.

5 Likes

How do you know when to switch to mains?
Do you use ultraviolet light or some other method?