Advice on Building a new machine switching to passive recovery and large production scale

There*

Like the purge labs whirly dirly thing?

Finding fittings is a pain in the ass with JIC and npt fittings. I’ve had to do it for a few systems before. And I totally understand if you aren’t there to assemble the compression fittings. They are so easy to do improperly. As are npt with not enough tape, or too much.

That is an unfortunate thing with chillers if they can go down. But if you have a hydrologic shop. You probably have an hvac guy who knows how to work on chillers (it’s essentially an ac unit). The compressor would be hard to source, but if you know what you’re looking for ahead of time.

I plan on using lc02 for cooling. That doesn’t break.

Youre going for a haskell? Go with a big mvp instead.

Actually.

Or the punisher gc5000/Corken T291

As seen here for far less than a haskell, quieter, and faster. Yes, I’m aware I’m recommending a pump.

1 Like

That’s what she said…

1 Like

Not necessarily automating, but improving the cooling process by switching to lco2. Currently, we load 1000lbs of ice by hand per shift…it’s getting kind of old

2 Likes

I would like to hear an answer to this question as well.

I think you will have to either vent the N2 each time if you’re using a single solvent tank or setup multiple solvent tanks and have to deal with switching back and forth between them so the accumulating N2 pressure doesn’t stall your recovery. Even with multiple tanks, I think the N2 might still stall your recovery somewhat.

Don’t forget that recovery rate is largely determined by vapor generation in the collection pot not whether you’re using active or passive recovery.

If you have a pump that is way too small for an active setup, it will restrict recovery at the top of the bell curve of recovery.

Just because you have X amount of kw of heating applied to your system doesn’t mean you will be able to effectively get that heat into the solution. That is often times a limiting factor of pot-style recovery and an acknowledged issue with using large jacketed vessels in other industries. Collection pot design is very important as your system gets larger.

2 Likes

Well I was saying having my 2 solvent tanks and either 4 or 5 columns set up. But I would run 2-3 columns back 2 back starting with one then close it off to the next over the same pot, but could I use the n2 inject to push each time over the column.
Cause I’d be pushing solvent then n2 solvent then n2 but i believe I’m fine because I could vent the n2 in between going to the next column out of the pot to release that pressure? Anybody ?

Then I could use the other solvent tank for the remaining 2-3 columns into the other collection pot, then when I go to recover I have 2 smaller collection vessels and 2 smaller receiving vessels so
The smaller surface area will allow for it to change and hold temp easier, as well as build more pressure in each collection pot for the solvent to wanna rush to the tanks.then I’m recovering 2 pots and 2 tanks and if ever needed I can just use 1 collection pot or tank etc.

Is there inline regulators so you can make sure multiple columns receive the same pressure to run 2 at a time?

Check out the charts and calcs on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/gps_llc/

You will need enough total cooling and heating power for your planned mass flow rate as well as a large enough connection between the recovery pot and condenser to allow the low density vapor to pass across with minimal pressure loss.

1 Like

THey actually bought the Haskell already. I wasn’t familiar with the diaphragm pumps specs of what is needed to run them. I told them this before purchase but they decided to get it without knowing a 10k compressor is required. I checked out the air compressor you sent the link of. Ive been searching for refurbished ones across the internet for a good deal. From my understanding with a dual output working mod for the haskel 420 the key is to having a compressor that will give a precision compression output of at least 35 CFM that runs oilless? Hence why screw compressors are used opposed to the other types?

I tried looking fir the purge labs turbo thang if you can find the link cams you share. If not no worries. I was just thinking if a free moving mechanical turbo was able to get spinning up this will increase the vacuum. It’s free energy.

I have another question. Why use lco2 as oppose to higher surface area heat exchangers? If energy moves from greater to less. Than as long as your heat exchanger is colder than the temperature of your solvent from your recovery tank than it should move? Having your exchanger higher elevated than your input solvent feed in the columns would take care of any extra energy needed unless you’re bottom flooding. After the column dump switch the liquid in the heat exchanger to hot and this will push assist the rest of the solvent out of the columns?

@CokeyoDrips holy shit my dude. Your dry ice plug is not going to like your game plan lmao. Wouldn’t a pressure relief valve with a lower pressure setting can be used to transfer the solvent without the pump? The have PRV that can be connected with tubing as output btw. The only backside to this is I can see the timing will be off with the injection coil but this seems like a more passive way.

1 Like

The purge labs isn’t a pump. It’s actually a rotating material column. You’re supposed to flood the column, then flip it around or something, and then into the collection. It’s weird af.

The corken are probably going to be a better option in the long run. If they haven’t purchased the air compressor for it. It might be worth it to switch before getting too deep. Maybe. Again, I can’t stand pumps. And those corken can do work.

In a standard tube and shell condensor lc02 would clog and make too much dry ice causing it to not work. But, bizzybee solvent columns can be used as heat exchangers and just piss liquid into the store tank that they come with. You can use ln2 in a tube and shell condensor, it’s cheaper than lc02, but it will sublimate faster using twice as much. I plan on using a tiny bit of ln2 to chill my holding tank while I recover, my two solvent columns cooled will handle the phase change. Once it gets turned into a liquid it will flow into the tank.

1 Like

I’ll have to draw it out. I was thinking more like an old school paddle wheel like they had in rivers. But yea i seen that extractor from purge. It reminds me of a cement spinner. That idea def came from smoke sesh lol.

Ill start searching for those than bc EBay pumps/compressors usually have been through the blender. Have you heard of this company? I’m finding more of these available fir the right price more than others. Not sure if it’s a good thing orr bad
https://surplusrecord.com/mobile/listings/d089667.php

That’s the thing with the liquid assist it becomes part of the process. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing or a good thing but if they have another option i rather go that route. I’ve thought the only way to do this is by heat exchangers before the extractor or transfer pump. Maybe both. Maybe heat up the solvent jacket slowly and minimal to assist the transfer of energy.

I wouldn’t suggest this to a new person or if they don’t have a PRV.

Also the heat exchanger i was looking at was a brazed heat plate

Jacketed and a tankless water heater pumping glycol solution

1 Like

I used a tankless water heater for my collection vessel when i running my system. You have a reservoir or you closed loop it?

How would you close loop it?

Tankless hot water heater → heat exchanger—> transfer pump ->> tankless hot water heater. You have to feed glycol through the piping system when you hard pipe it. There is an issue that occurs every time. A tankless hot water heater has an input sensor letting it know the temperature of the glycol. Instead of decreasing or increasing temperature by the heating element it actually opens and closes the flow. Basically what happens the pump burns out quickly because it’s trying to force feed the Tankless hot water heater. Also at the same time you ultimately restrict the flow towards your heat exchanger. Most work on these principles. That’s why i was curious if he found the right one

2 Likes

Tankless, filter, pump, res.

I have placed my pump on a thermo switch wich activates the pump at certain temp or not might be an option

1 Like

Id get the corken and try to sell Haskell especially if you haven’t gotten the huge air compressor needed to drive it. It’ll recover way faster then 2 Haskells.

If you need to do solvent, push, solvent, push, then use a warm vapor push instead of n2. It’s easy for operator unless someone’s got a better idea.

3 Likes

On a Bizzy system are you still running a condensing coil before your solvent tanks? Or wouldn’t the c02 cooled column be enough

I don’t use a coil anymore in this system, correct. Different system I did

1 Like

Active recovery is based on a misconception of physics, it only makes sense on very small scale. At mid-larger scale refrigeration systems can cost effectively provide enough power to passively chill, evaporate and recover solvent with a lower overall ownership and operating cost, no LN2, no CO2, no pumps. Just heating and cooling and electrical power.

I have been explaining this to people for years, its only due to short term cheapness(and ignorance) that people keep buying these pumps which in my view are generally not sanitary and make the engineering and operation of the extractor loud and overly complex, vs a near silent and very simple passive system.

https://www.greenprocess.solutions/
(Charts and explanations on my insta)

1 Like