Addressing BHO Muffins

Seeking information to address muffins developing in trays of BHO under vacuum. To better understand the process and conditions of development of muffins, good source data is preferred. But y’all have been so very helpful that any simple tips or trick are welcome too.

You should reach out to the muffin man

18 Likes

When scraping the muffin off the roof of the oven, try to remind your self to split in half next time.:call_me_hand:

12 Likes

Love it, but is there an anti-muffin man? Might want to consult the muffin man’s nemesis.

2 Likes

What consistency are you shooting for?

bake before vac.

13 Likes

5 Likes

Be polite, I’d usually address them as sir muffin or lady muff, depending on the situation.

8 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

Shake and bake, baby.

2 Likes

Why don’t people finish off purging BHO in flasks? It seems like a rotovap could easily remove the trace butane without touching the terps and much more quickly

Show me Rotovap slab.

Those that haz muffins are not after diamonds or pourable terps.

——————

See:

Oven vac temp and time for shatter

Purging Shatter

And maybe

Adding N2 in ovens to prevent muffining?

Or

Nitrogen Backfill on your Vac Oven to prevent Muffining

@WorkingOnIt; where have you sought the muffin man?

9 Likes

I’m thinking that if it’s purged low temp it won’t pour out of the flask very well. 35C and it’s probably pourable enough but it might butter up and not stay shatter

You want to have as little transfer as possible from your collection to maximum efficiency and yeild

3 Likes

To much agitation in the roto

7 Likes

Let your slabs sit at your oven temp for about an hour before pulling vac & you wont have such a big muffin

11 Likes

Literally what they said
Let the heat evaporate some solvent so you are not evaporating lots of solvent while purging
An hour or two before pulling vac works the best!
And as willbilly said about the roto thats too much agitation, I hate slabs but when I do make them I pour wet and not fuck with it at all and let the heat purge some of the solvent before pulling vac
If it muffins a bit, simply release the vac and it will flatten and vac again

If you’re too impatient to wait for the muff to get warm, and would rather dive straight into the muff, you can pull on the muff just a lil bit to get her started.

Only pull partial vac on the muff and wait for the muff to fall like a soufflé. Just remember that patience is a virtue when it comes to muffs.

7 Likes

I’m old school but I don’t have a vacuum oven I just have like bvv vacuum bucket thing and I’m for a full month and I’ll fill the entire 12 x 12 and then cool it off a bit and then break it down into powder I’m not using this phone and sometimes it doesn’t understand what I’m saying so excuse the dumb s*** that makes no sense I’m learning and it shouldn’t take too long I’ve never used phones for this s***