Active Vs passive recovery speed

First 250 was flood and soak second 250 was rinse. We measured yields and were happy with the thruput/efficiency compromise. Nice thing about the brew bags is if the bottom one was a little sticky you just load it in the next batch.

As far as small batch, ya, volume has its drawbacks. But running columns was so much work with so many leak points after I built a 50# rack I was happy to sell it and never fucking touch one again!

run a very small collection under your evaporator and eject it into something else using pressure.

2 Likes

I think bulk recovery of solvent passive is the way to go . I did a consult for friend to go passive hybrid got him screaming 3lbs a minute now . Trust me i am a firm believe of bulk passive recovery !

3 Likes

The pump/passive argument is circular. The biggest passive system you can imagine can be sped up by an even bigger pump until the limit of heat input is reached. Back and fourth forever. The biggest gains in time after meeting the scale you target is process efficiency. Honestly after all logistics becomes more a challenge than the process itself. That and people fucking up…

3 Likes

Any idea roughly how much dry ice usage and heat energy that takes?

Ive run a hybrid setup of a couple years, its great!

1 Like

@pangea

122lbs of dry ice an hr

3 Likes

12 Likes

:joy: more than likely gonna need a bigger consumables budget too…at that rate you’re paying roughly $300,000 a year on dry ice alone (if you operate 300/365 days a year )

7 Likes

I pay $3/lbs :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

At $3/lb it’d be $900,000 :hot_face:

Edit: I just wanna say, I’m a proponent of getting the job done by whatever means necessary—but this is why I always start with specifying chillers for clients.

If you want to do it with speed, you either eat into your margins with dry ice or you make the upfront capital investment.

5 Likes

My friend runs 10 6×48 columns a day he goes through roughly a 500lb bin a day in a 10 column day at max 600lbs a day . His cost of ice is 75 cents a pound although expensive at that level of production 1 column is paying for ice for the whole week. I get my ice at .55 cents a pound so it can be even cheaper depends on location. At that scale of a system a chiller would be 30-60k so some people would just rather factor in the cost of dry ice especially if it is cheap . 1$ a pound is pretty expensive for bulk dry ice. Also if the system was ran for 300 days it would generate 6 million$ selling good extracts at 4-5$ per gram so 300k for dry ice at the end of the year isnt . Especially when it might only be 150-200k.

6 Likes

Speaking of coils, I saw some killer shit the other day in one of Subzero’s solvent tanks, and they called it a “Cold Finger”. Apparently, it’s like a small pot that extends into the solvent tank that holds your slurry down into the tank. Maybe this is a common thing, but it was the first time that had every seen some shit like that…
Edit: Here’s a photo:

11 Likes

Dry ice not so cheap in Canada eh? You should have a discussion about it in the Canada thread. Someone’s gotta have a cheaper source than that.

1 Like

I’ve seen lc02 ones like that, too.

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for everyone here i would of never even considered passive in the first place !

Not round these parts. They’ve promised to hook me up for less than half price if I buy 500lb totes, I said fuck yea sign me up! Its been over two months and they still havnt “had my account approved from corporate hq” Praxair!

2 Likes

Damn, and here we have a thread asking the fastest way to get rid of dry ice. Send it to @pangea lol

3 Likes

you cant figure it out and you were giving me a hard time?

im learning slowly tht you guys are all about recovery volume. Cant regular ice take place of alot of the dry ice by running through ice/salt slurry prior to condensing?

Lol…

1 Like