5lb icarus bvv advice

Love that you doused them in ln2.

It’s all about keeping the water frozen for me. I’d straight refuse to run live resin without it

3 Likes

Pouring the n2 on the sock will knock off some kief, but you can save that up and put it into edibles or something xD

@FicklePickle had to keep them socks COLD af!!! :cold_face:

2 Likes

So I am guessing you don’t pressure check your system beforehand??

I load it up and pull a full vac
pressure check with N2 for about 15 minutes at 95psi
pull another full vac and start the process

I was told the pressure check with N2 was better than a regular air compressor because of the moisture that accompanies the regular air. Don’t know if that is true or not but it is part of my SOP

Seems like that would be true, i wouldnt pressure test with air, i pull a vacumn on it all, if after 5 minutes no change i start, figure ill see a leak when the pressure climbs lol, never had a leak and ive had some climb as high as 120 on the vacumn gauge when i first started out years back

1 Like

I always pressure check with N2 to 95psi. I just demonstrated to myself why this morning.
Loaded my material column, and then conducted a SECOND go round testing all clamps and hose connections… :white_check_mark:
pulled a full vac and then let it sit for 10 minutes to make sure it held :white_check_mark:
Filled entire system with N2 @ 95psi :white_check_mark:
shut all valves to isolate material column, dewaxing unit, and collection vessel :white_check_mark:
came back 20 minutes later and collection vessel was not holding pressure :x:
CONCLUSION:
System would hold a full vac but would not hold pressure @ 95psi. I don’t think there will be a time during the extraction process that I will need to hold 95psi but I ain’t about to start a run when I know the collection vessel is not holding pressure. I would much rather spend a few dimes on N2 than have to build and outfit a new lab

9 Likes

I’m interested, I have a weakness for new glass! do you have a site or anything you post your creations? I’ve been looking for a small bubbler / rig style piece for a dedicated deems/changa unit and only like buying from individual blowers.

to add to that, N2 is much thinner than air and will show you where the leaks are every time. I have a valve currently that holds 100psi of air, but leaks under 40psi of N2. Reminds me I need to get a new one…

Maybe start a new thread and post some pics of your work? Gotta ig with some pics?

Imma cheap bastard, but I’m sure a good amount of members might want a badass slabby rig.

Edit: Just saw this was 10 days ago, but still applicable.

5 Likes

Not to mention the moisture being pumped into the system when using compressed air…not good. The moisture remains behind after the final vac, with the result being someone starts asking “why does my end product look like this??”

yeah definitely, using air in the system for a run is a big no-no. I used it back when I had finished assembling it before cleaning for the first run just to test for leaks. Killa gave me some good advice and pressurize the system, or isolated components and then submerge in water. Very easy to find the leak that way.

2 Likes

Finally got to give it a shot. Success.

212g’s of nice color slab.

6 Likes

is -25C cold enough for live runs? my chiller is rated to -50c but only holds at -25c with denatured alcohol.

Your solvent tank or material column?

212g from 2.5# fresh frozen? If so :facepunch:

dry for 6-7 days, then frostless freezer for 24 hours then to dry iced column

But 212g from 5# or from 2.5#

When i do trim runs I get 200-250 from my 5# icarus filled up (5.5# roughly)

My friend with a similar system just pulled 380g off of one run but he packs it way tighter than me and usually has better trim

I dont pack it tight at all, run small nug. Just a quick breakup by hand to rough it up outta the freezer. 2.5 fills it to the top for me. Run 11lb tane through, recollect in an hour flat. It took an hour for 6 lb tane recovery with my 1lb system so im pretty happy with the passive speeds

2 Likes

solvent tank, my material column isnt jacketed, i have a dewax column but my chiller can only hold at -25c. was thinking just freeze material with dry ice, do a quick fill of my column and just try to run as fast as possible

2 Likes

That’s what @StoneD would do. :grinning:

1 Like

freeze ur solvent

if ur not running 6" wide material spools you’ll be golden

freeze on dry ice for 2 hrs at least

load fast. if u wanna fill the jacket w dry ice u can get even more pure product

but it’s all about prefreeze on dry ice…dont onto freezer go straight to dry ice

if live I suggest doing longer prefreeze and use jacket w just dry ice

right outta the extractor purge down setting in warm.water …

3 days later

I dont do live anymore…
I dry all.my material even if just for week or so

4 Likes