1000+ pounds per shift hydrocarbon extractors

Thanks. I was like how is this going on and I don’t even know about it. Appreciate it. That makes sense.

Yeah BFS does not care about your grow

Obviously

You’re correct, BFS runs the show now.

PurgeLabs?

1 Like

So in Cali lancaster required us to get a oxidizer. The exaust of the booth had to be burned off through this oxidizer. Problem is the oxidizer is ment for massive loads of hydrocarbons and uses the hydrocarbons to keep the heat up. Otherwise you just use a shit load of gas to keep is going. Took us 1 year fighting with aqmd. Their main reason was to prevent more than 1000 pounds of butane offgassing from our building a month originally that’s all we were allowed. The oxidizer made it to where we could use unlimited amounts of butane in our building. Luckily I was able to convince them that the amount of natural gas that was being burned was more harmful to the environment then a few thousand pounds of butane being off gassed a month. Unfortunately the oxidizers cost just under $1 million purchase and install a door in the area that can’t even be removed anymore so essentially the city let us spend 1 million bucks just to later say you’re right you didn’t need it

6 Likes

I just did some homework. Brand new utilizing Prochiller 30.2hp m45, Huber 915W, and pairing with two Mokon 36kw heaters (and USA built, all columns and Exergy heat exchangers) I can hit over 1,000 dry lbs/ 8 hr shift efficiently with my system design while maintaining overall quality. And using all Swagelok components, you’ll be in or around $375k.

Going the Chinese route for steel (using 316L stainless) I get get it done for around $325k. The biggest budget request would be the $210k for the chilling and heating options. But, going used, it could be far less. And the system would be Certified at that cost.

It would have to be laid out in a BizzyBee format (talking about how he does the multi-racks). And you would probably need 3 people to run it. One person on the solvent and material side. The other person on the utility and expansion side. While the other is solely packing and weighing socks. And exchanging out the waste. Recovery speeds would be well above 12lbs/min and you could throw the recovery line back into the second side of material columns to speed things up and always have a side of material columns being exchanged out. Less nitrogen in the process is being used. System can also do an awesome job at live material.

…………less labor. :sweat_smile:
Swagelok consult

10 Likes

The monstrosity of collection pots and rotating columns are all made by or should i say imported by purge labs.

4 Likes

I’ve had dinner with the guys with PurgeLabs and Trusteel while I was still in Grass Valley. I recognized that work. Haha. Monster

3 Likes

Yeah there good guys, only ever ran there equipment a few times.

What do you think of their swinging columns?

A removable top would be better, but they work.

1 Like

It’s scary….

Seems inefficient

3 Likes

Pointless, enrique could never answer basic questions and i always wanted to do a side by side with my big crude machine back then to his rotating columns but never would. Vic seemed to love them but i was never a fan

5 Likes

I just have a disagreement on the design… I’m more of the flush through and try not to have so much time washing through same material.

1 Like

Enrique still doesn’t know anything about them. Lol

3 Likes

Yeah me too, i was doing 5-7#’s every 15-20 mins at the same time and wanted to race to see what made more with less solvent loss. They were very scary to run when i got the chance i just couldn’t resist but would never run one again and honestly wouldn’t take one today if someone gave it too me

3 Likes

Not sure he ever did, simple question of how do you spin it with lines attached, so you have too remove them but can’t vac down. He stopped talking to me after that

4 Likes

I’d go with a bigger chiller than 17kW @ -40 if I was shooting for 12lbs/min on a 70/30 mix. That’s all that chiller could handle just on the recovery, still might not be enough.

Even if you condense at -20, you still need kW left to chill back down to -40 efficiently pre-extraction.

At 30kW you will have enough to handle it all. Can pickup a new 30kW @ -40 for less than 100k.

1 Like

We had 20 of them. It was about 4 years ago. Fill and soak them up side down, spin and dump. Wheel out bring in next that was already soaking.
50-60 lbs of bio per hopper
They had quick release

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I ran one but I feel like I only got half of that in per column. How were you packing and what was trim like?