YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

I was working on a mockup of an idea using sintered discs, this is the same OD as a 1 liter centrifuge bottle from Nalgene(97.7mm). Obviously it’s rough, but I think it’s similar to what you might be talking about just on a smaller scale? Should be able to do 3-400mL at a time at this size

8 Likes

Unless I had a really long rope, right?

5 Likes

This is a fun calculator Centrifugal Force Calculator

1 Like

I was playing with this one.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/biology/g-force-calculator.html

Looks like I’ll need a mile long rope at 60 RPM to hit that 1 hour goal. No problem :rofl:

But 3500 RPM with a 2’ radius gets me there and isn’t too crazy, right? Couple kg of boof at both ends of a 4’ pole? What could go wrong

20 Likes

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is a bike necessary on a centrifuge?

$100 or so

This showed up in my inbox before you asked :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Stop reading my mind

1 Like

so I used a fabricated stainless cone that has 25um screen, then there is an insert that closes the cone up from both sides and you throw it in a mill at 4500 rpm for 5-10 mins depending on the viscosity. Wanted to work on pairing with c1d1 baldor motor as local fd isn’t gonna approve anything else. I could run about 56 grams at a time

6 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/i/113667405614

mod edit: trimmed the link.

6 Likes

Dank you

1 Like

Curious do you know your cannabinoid % in the terp layer post centrifuge? Working on making a HTE with below 20% THCa (from live resin). This seems to be a reasonable process just not sure how much THCa gets pulled through. Any thoughts on just spinning a tube with no filter and pipetting off the terp layer? the solubility of THCa in terps is tough to get around given the volatility of terpenes. Just bouncing some ideas around before I commit to developing a method.
-Flavortown-

3 Likes

all depends on how much you drop out of the mother solution before fuge

I’ve seen some terps refuse to let thca go(keeps it dissolved in it) especially when warm.

2 Likes

Which terpenes (or maybe terp ratios) do you see solvate THCA more/less when warm?

I’m new so excuse my ignorance, but do you test for terps pre-extraction to help determine post-product type? If so, what chem/physical properties of the terpene profile are you most interested in?

2 Likes

I’ve got an idea I’ve been working on. Found the perfect little motor for it too, I think. Blender motor that spins ~ 23k rpm to ~28k rpm. Faster is better ya? Even had an idea where you could have the FUGE open bottom so the terps spin off and drop down into a collection tray (don’t need to keep dumping em/infinitely reusable?) just need either bags or discs

2 Likes

Salad spinner with a poor spout and mesh bag?:crazy_face:

4 Likes

What are ya’ll using as an SOP for nucleating material? It mentions in the post that pentane is easily removed with vac, but doesn’t mention vac when it says to put it in the oven for 24-72hr

1 Like

With Pentane’s BP being 98 degrees, being in the heat without vac will still bake the pentane out of the oil.

2 Likes

Scrape the bottom of your vessel and fold air into the oil. Nucleation will begin in 12hrs or so depending on material

3 Likes

This material specifically is shatter that didn’t turn out so good, probably too late to mechanically nucleate, no?

Just convinced me to buy one lol

1 Like