YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

Pyrex 8422-100

8 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Thank you!

8 Likes

Has anyone scaled this up? Iā€™ve got some ideas, Iā€™ll add a sketch here in a sec

12 Likes

Not crazy scale that would require a sketch, but you could spin 6 - 250ml FEP bottles in GSA or equivalent rotor, pretty reasonably.

1 Like

Ooof, $1100 for 1500ml. FEP is nice though

These are what we run for our type 19 rotor:

https://www.beckman.com/supplies/tubes-and-bottles/bottles/334205

About the same cost but the bottles without caps are only like $60/ea so we just swap caps between multiple sets. Not FEP but good for nearly 100k x rcf

2 Likes

It would be amongst other ā€œballerā€ status items, no doubt!

*I just bought 4 - 100ml ptfe tubes for $152.20 w/shipping

3 Likes

In the spirit of the panda washer, have you considered a honey extractor with modified frames?

1 Like

I made one of those explode once (for science of course). Turns out hooking a treadmill motor up to the cheapest fleabay honey extractor was a mistake. The experiment told me that they are not suitable for the amount of g needed here

9 Likes

https://www.sci-bay.com/product/thermo-iec-model-exd-heavy-duty-explosion-proof-floor-model-centrifuge/

13 Likes

Fuck yeah, that thing looks like a brick shithouse! I wonder how much the rotor costs though

3 Likes

I was thinking a custom basket type centrifuge.

A 6x6" column with a cap on one end, attached to a 12x6" column with a cap on the other end, with a sintered disk between the two.

I imagine you could have a 2" ferrule welded into the top of the 12x6 cap, tie a rope to it, and swing it around by hand fast enough to spin most the boof off. So mechanizing such a thing shouldnā€™t be too crazy.

How much force you guys think it actually takes to achieve the goal here?

7 Likes

Rough guess would be 3k rcf for 2 hours or 6-8k for 1. Thatā€™s a long time to be swinging a spool around over your head lol

11 Likes

I was working on a mockup of an idea using sintered discs, this is the same OD as a 1 liter centrifuge bottle from Nalgene(97.7mm). Obviously itā€™s rough, but I think itā€™s similar to what you might be talking about just on a smaller scale? Should be able to do 3-400mL at a time at this size

8 Likes

Unless I had a really long rope, right?

5 Likes

This is a fun calculator Centrifugal Force Calculator

1 Like

I was playing with this one.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/biology/g-force-calculator.html

Looks like Iā€™ll need a mile long rope at 60 RPM to hit that 1 hour goal. No problem :rofl:

But 3500 RPM with a 2ā€™ radius gets me there and isnā€™t too crazy, right? Couple kg of boof at both ends of a 4ā€™ pole? What could go wrong

20 Likes

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is a bike necessary on a centrifuge?

$100 or so

This showed up in my inbox before you asked :shushing_face:

5 Likes

Stop reading my mind

1 Like

so I used a fabricated stainless cone that has 25um screen, then there is an insert that closes the cone up from both sides and you throw it in a mill at 4500 rpm for 5-10 mins depending on the viscosity. Wanted to work on pairing with c1d1 baldor motor as local fd isnā€™t gonna approve anything else. I could run about 56 grams at a time

6 Likes