Would breaking crab shells for soil be worth it?

Hey guys and gals just me , cannacrabber from Baltimore Maryland, with some possible freebies. I have been reading up on crab shells and how they affect growth of plants. I know i have to learn more about soil. I will start at the search bar , obviously. I was wondering if anyone has experience in this and would like to develop a symbiotic relationship :thinking:! Not trying to sell. Trying g to grow. I have a pretty limitless supply of dead crabs. The bread and butter ,I think, would be the sluff shells. What they leave behind as they climb out of their old shell and harden back up bigger. Anyone interested in talking shop dm me or send me a message on ig @cannacrabber have a great day everyone I look forward to growing and learning more and more each year. This forum has helped me so much. Thanks to all who believed in my nonsense :slightly_smiling_face: I turned it into dollars!!! Couldn’t have done it without this site!!!

5 Likes

Yeah it would be worth it, but it’s more a personal choice/what you have available to you, and as such is an organic/permaculture type method.

I prefer using sea creatures for my amendments to blood/bone meal because The Quality control of those companies is more than likely NOT up to standards, since most of our meat industry is pretty disgusting.

Chitin would be my main benefit I was looking for btw

4 Likes

Chitosan is a fantastic biostimulant and amps up the defense mechanisms of plants.

I would run them through a hammermill. Depending on how coarse they are, it could also improve the texture of the soil.

12 Likes

Chitosan triggers the SAR response right?

You can also get it from salicylic acid. I used to crush a 325mg of aspirin/ gallon into my foliar feeds and sometimes Into my nutrient feed.

I also have an immunity spray that uses both

2 ml silica
2.5 ml bud factor x
2.5ml coco wet
1ml super thrive
1 aspirin
Per gal

Spray at day 14-17

I’d gladly use something other then bud factor x (fuck advanced) but haven’t done my research for another solid form of chitosan

8 Likes

Soak em fulvic/humic acid to break the calcium down. It’ll have short shelf life but be wonderful for plants at all times of growth. Pulverized shells soaked for couple weeks will at like stomach. It’ll break it down and the stuff is golden

8 Likes

Even better I believe would be fermenting the crab shells with em1 or labs
Chitin in the crab shell turns to chitosan from the chitinase enzyme, and the plant thinks it’s under attack by insects so ramps up the SAR, yes.
If no hammer mill, put down a sheet of plywood, pile them bitches up and put another piece of plywood on top and crunch em with your car
Out in the pnw it’s a buck a pound or less
Yes it’s an amazing amendment

8 Likes

I have used stone crab claws along with sloughed blue crab shells. Definitely a long game supply of calcium.

2 Likes

I used to ferment all the fish heads with em1 but takes between 6 months and a year to breakdown

2 Likes

I used nectar for the God’s nutrients forever…now I’d make my own

4 Likes

Did you see noticeable results using NoG?

1 Like

Dude you’ll crush your rectum for the frogs results.
They suck, and they’re not organic but they have people hoodwinked
I know bone grown kids will argue but monopotassium Phosphate and others are salts, fertilizer salts not stabilizers for chicken livers

1 Like

For small grows it was best shit I ever used? Idk proof was in pudding

1 Like

Let.me.rephrase this
…now I’d make a super soil and no till…I’d also use less nutes as possible making the ones I could

I stay away from salts if possible but sometimes was needed for quick fix

But large grows u need salt nutes it’s only way and hydro done right helps

I’m small time hippie at heart country boy. Nothing big

3 Likes

But when you do it yourself I swear it’s a world of difference and drastically cheaper and if you care about organic or not supporting the slaughterhouse industry of mistreated animals fed gmo shit sprayed with roundup, You can control every input and make sure it ain’t skimped on

3 Likes

Because I assure you that they source cheap products without ethical investigation and there’s a lot they’d lack
Even places that sell bulk soil in southern Oregon often skimp on amendments adding like 20-30# per yard lol

1 Like

I moved to Alaska from Islamorada, and I haven’t even heard about stone crab in years. My God, what I wouldn’t give for some fucking stone crab claws. Shit, or even some soft shelled blue crab… People up here have no clue!

5 Likes

@asher

Want to comment on the quality of nectar of the gods? I know this is your jam

1 Like

Enjoy crust on the top of your dirt from their calcium supplement!

2 Likes

For sure seen that

1 Like

Their liquid bone meal isn’t soluble by any stretch of the imagination. I’d suggest Rid-x or Bio-Kleen enzymes to help that process along.

2 Likes