Would breaking crab shells for soil be worth it?

I’ve had much better results with soluble calphos that I make myself.

1 Like

I catch tons of fish in the pots all day! Im going to have a light dep grow new spring . Figured I could bury some or make compost with them .

3 Likes

I can make that happen!!!

2 Likes

Insect frass. It is chitin, not chitosan. Main difference being chitin comes from insects & chitosan from shrimp, crab etc.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, worth it!

1 Like

I haven’t used the ferment. But I do currently use insect frass in my soil blend and as one of my top dressings. Amazing stuff…

1 Like

Do a 24-48 hour brew at whatever the recommended rate is, can’t remember off the top of my head.

You can literally watch them POINT to the sky.

3 Likes

I fished out of marathon a couple seasons, but I live on west coast

1 Like

We use mullet (during run). So I would toss extra mullet and grouper or snapper heads into a cooler and or barrel and let it simmer over time

1 Like

I throw them in my compost pile as well as egg shells.
I use to focus on all these individual inputs and methods, now I’m just throwing everything in the compost pile and turn it occasionally then top dress with the compost. So much more free time.

3 Likes

I made cold hydrolyzed fish emulsion with LAB’s and sewer enzymes. It took 4-6 months to be soluble and not smell like fish guts.

@Cannacrabber @Badfishy1

5 Likes

I feel like with all the fish and dead crabs that I have access to. I could make some really kick ass compost. But with the sluff shells I am seeing another vision. I am gonna need help figuring out what to use to make a chitosan ammendment. I feel like I could learn how to make it bottle it up and give out some free samples to anyone on here that wants to try it out. That is after I consult with this hemp farmer guy who seems to have a interest in a whole tractor trailer load of dead crabs! I want to figure out the science of it ! That excites me more than anything. Knowing there is a chance that I could make something to help out my shitty little grow. Hopefully, with enough research and networking, I could get this idea off the ground. Free bags off sluff shells to all future 4200 members!!! I only ask that they reimburse me for the shipping. That way if a few people wanted a nice pound size bag to try out on their own i could actually reach a good bit of ppl.

3 Likes

Maybe hit up build a soil, they actually sell consultations by the hour, and I’m sure this would be something right up there alley…

3 Likes

After i have a meeting with this guy from the eastern shore , I just may do that! If I can figure out how to turn shells into chitosan ammendment, I know I could market it!

6 Likes

I use almost the whole “Nectar for the Gods” nutrient line. It’s quite good. Seems to produce top shelf grade herb, but is definitely more expensive and added work to use so many bottled nutes. I’ve always grown organically, so I’m used to this… I like organic/natural bottled nutes for indoor, vs. powdered nutes u add to the soil.

if u want your herb to burn clean, add an enzyme product with your tea, such as Hygrozyme or Enzymes Komplete or SLF-100

My $.02

5 Likes

Mix your crab shells with vinegar to break them down.
Then use the vinegar 5ml per gal for water or foliar.

5 Likes

Yep tell him him that fulvic acid soak would be perfect way to mimic Triton’s trawl. Don’t u love the smell of it

I had a bottle i kept to long go aneroribic. Would spew air when opened that smelled awful

I.love NFG for small grows
I used the same clones and no bodies stuff was close to mine

2 Likes

Blast the shells with warm butane and make a chitosan concentrate please!! @Cannacrabber

1 Like

“Chitin extract obtained was soaked in NaOH 50% with weight ratio of chitin extract : 50% NaOH (w/v) volume was 1:10 (w/v). The mixture was stirred at 500 rpm for 10 hours at varied temperature i.e. 60, 70, 80, 90, 100°C then filtered and neutralized.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.5082491%23:~:text%3DChitin%2520extract%2520obtained%2520was%2520soaked,C%2520then%2520filtered%2520and%2520neutralized.&ved=2ahUKEwjPlILIsKrrAhUTG80KHXd8AjQQFjABegQIDRAG&usg=AOvVaw1KPjSNZLbmZnLPeA7IwcHC

4 Likes