Worried I'm getting funked over in the cannabis industry (Onlyfans or Mcdonalds)

Hello fellow Montucky friend. Nice to find you on here!

With the market just switching to Rec and the short supply of labor it seems like everyone is struggling to keep up with new regulations and dedicate capital to getting into compliance. This seems to cause owner to demand more and more with out having any point of reference for what adequate pay is.

Long story short is yes we are getting royally screwed. As you know from being here the choice of employers is super limited for lab positions with decent pay. Meaning distant relocations and sketchy operations.
-Currently I make about what you do running a small lab I had to build out from scratch with minimal funding. Got 2 wooks I have to oversee and train and all the SOPs to write. I personally know I am underpaid but sacrifice knowing it means I get to be close to my family and work in the town I was born in.

I wish you luck getting a raise because you certainly deserve it.

4 Likes

Eh, not screwed, but good on you for wanting more…The bottom line is that if they are putting more on you, the company is growing and/or you are more vital. That should result in some more pay and work benefits.

Here’s some thought…

Relative to the industry, you’re doing OK for yourself: liveable wages, sounds like you’re treated well personally, and you’re extracting. Many people in the first year would be making half and never touching an extractor. So, you’re supporting yourself and learning. I’ve found that new hires fall into two categories in their first year: they either do great and ascend or they plateau and get left on the packaging line. So, congrats for being a swimmer.

That said, the responsibility creep without a pay creep is a common issue. What is it you really want? An assistant? More money? More opportunity to work on higher level projects and not focus on grinding production? Ask for what you want in a tactful way.

Personally, I am in a similar position, maybe a bit further down the road. I’ve found myself at the top of my lab in terms of concentrate production. I like the company and people. I recently achieved a promotion in title and job responsibilities without a pay increase. This has been due to my own ascension in skills, company growth, and, also, job turnover. So, for me, the justification in my mind to ask for more is a combination of skills, value brought/maintained production with a smaller payroll, general wage enhancement, and scarcity of my skills in my market. I’m approaching an anniversary with the company, and I plan to ask for an increase in pay but also really push for an extraction tech to run the extractor and liberate me to do higher order stuff.

I’d encourage you to ask for more pay, but, also, to expand your learning and get some extra hands to assist on the production end. A high salary is great, but, once you master your skills, extraction is basically a production line job, repetitive. For me, if I can’t grow into higher level areas of extraction, different types of extraction, the business side, etc it’s not a sustainable job. And, to grow in that way, you have to have someone else turning knobs. I look at this industry as a great one for the “watch one, do one, teach one” type of employee development. You got brought on and shown how to do stuff. Then, you started doing them and mastering them. Now, it’s time to teach someone else to pay it forward, grow the skills at the company, and liberate yourself to a degree from the producion grind.

6 Likes

Amazon drivers in Massachusetts can make up to 24$ an hour in a year or two…

Shift Managers for McDonald’s can make 23$/hr

FedEx drivers in a year can make 23$/hr …

5 Likes

Its almost like corporations and governments want trade skills and being self sufficient to die in favor of spending inflated currency on their services.

Why learn mechanics or welding, when you can make more for less working at mcdonalds or FedEx

Or work at an assembly plant for more then a trade skill, with benefits, etc.

Common joke from where I grew up, “theres 4 career choices. Join the military, become an alcoholic, work at a factory, or sell drugs”

2 Likes

Is it distillation?
Tell him you quit if it’s not distillation!!

What’s the primary issue?
Are there task you’d like to hand off?
Is the responsibility stressing you out?

If you’re being paid hourly, and take on more tasks, doesn’t that mean more hrs?

or did the Boss notice you twiddling your thumbs after getting all that other shit done and figure they better add some more to keep you busy?

“Hey Bossman, in case you haven’t noticed, I’m already working my ass off over here. If we need more done we need more hrs in the day or another mother fucker to help. I’d like to give them these tasks…”

Of course adjusting exact language to better suit your (continued) working relationship with your supervisor :wink:

you could try the “as kitchen witch I deserve a piece of the pie” approach. But I only suggest that if you reckon you could do it better elsewhere/on your own.

Based on that starting wage, I’m guessing the boss thought you were up for the task. Show them they were right, and ASK for more responsibility (the assistant).

Once you have a minion, the discussion with the boss about how a piece of the pie (profit sharing) or at least performance based bonuses/raise work as motivational tools seems to flow more naturally.

:shushing_face:

8 Likes

I’m in the same situation as you, but in MA.

I’m making 17.50 though. Management says they can get me another 2 dollars an hour, but it will “take some time”… 13 months at this gig, being the sole extractor…feelsbadman!

1 Like

Literally, that’s what happened to everyone I knew

Aside from that, I’m really glad I didn’t follow through with going to college for biology to be an extraction artist for the state. I don’t think I’d ever wanna be a Manger for one of those places either cause the last thing I need is a phone call in the middle of the night saying somethings about to blow up.

Plus I don’t wanna do that for a living and then come home and do a run… I don’t think it would be fun anymore.

2 Likes

Lmao yea same.

All I can say as a business owner is that you are in a startup. Startups need people to do various things.

So don’t kill yourself. My lab guy still runs the lab by himself but he doesn’t kill himself. We run less each day, but he is happy and all the extra bullshit I ask him to do is actually a break from blasting sometimes…which is nice.

Only work so fast…it’s healthy for the long run so you don’t burn out…

If you are not happy or can find better pay or a better job, quit…when I was staring my business, I used to do a that for free myself until I made enough money to pay someone.

5 Likes

Has you tried shopping it around?

Been “sick” for a week so they understand what it would be like without you?

You are NOT in the same situation as OP, similar, but they’re being paid semi-appropriately.

K. I’ll be back when you’re able to do that. Ciao!

2 Likes

Anybody wanna give me a fake, but reasonable job offer to use as leverage? LMAO.

Thanks for the support you guys, this thread is giving me more confidence to make some moves.

3 Likes

You are worth whatever someone will pay you.

Walk and you will see how much they care about you.

What really hurts is when they pay you to go away…and the #^%#€?ing check bounces…

15 Likes

I’ve never seen that work out well for the employer🤣

3 Likes

Always pay your people…your business will probably close if you don’t.

1 Like

Considering this is the person who is getting paid and not the person who is doing the paying maybe you should aim a bit higher up the chain of command to let that wisdom out.

3 Likes

Yeah, theres a few things keeping me from just “walking out”:

1- I’ve been making 17.50 in MA. I have some savings, but it would be very expensive for me to stop working.
2- I’m the idiot who believed that if I “put in the effort”, I would be rewarded. Instead, they have used me as a garbage disposal for weed they couldn’t sell as flower. As a result, if I were to stop extracting today, it would take weeks, probably months for it to impact the supply chain. Our oven room has months and months of backed-up concentrates that we simply cannot test, remediate, or package fast enough. That’s where running the closed loop 5 times a day has gotten me :slight_smile: so foolish of me

2 Likes

Check around. You may exit the cannabis industry for a while, but if five guys burgers is paying 20.14/hr in rural Michigan, I can’t imagine you can’t get that in Massachusetts

My very first job went out of business and decided not to pay me the last 2 weeks pay. I was under 18, so I called the labor department and handed over my proof. They sued her on my behalf and won. Unfortunately she owed so much money I never got paid.

2 Likes

When you owe so much money even the government knows you’re absolutely fucked