Worried I'm getting funked over in the cannabis industry (Onlyfans or Mcdonalds)

Hey yall! I’m currently feeling fucked over by the company I’m working for and I’m looking for some insight. This is my first year in the cannabis industry, I accepted this position to be a “processing technician” where I’d be making all concentrates, using metrc, and occasionally making edibles, is what I was told…

What my job has become at this cultivation center:

-I create all edible recipes
-I make ALL edibles (gummies, cookies, brownies, etc)
-I buck/pluck all the tubs that I need to blast
-I make all of the crude oil
-I make all of the extractions
-Im the only one filling the cartridges and the disposables in the building
-Im the only one that adds terpenes back into our distillate (We have someone that only comes in to make our distillate)
-I weigh all the concentrates, make tags for EVERYTHING
-I set up ALL the boxes that get sent to dispensaries or for wholesale, mostly flower.
-I get everything (edibles/concentrates) except flower tested from the lab

I do get paid 26$ an hour, which is AMAZING for Montana…
Now my boss is trying to put another task on me, and I’m starting to realize this isn’t what I signed up for… am I being lazy/lame or am I being fucked over? lol… halp!

20 Likes

You’re making decent money, but the McDonald’s employees are catching up to you quickly. Sounds like you already have a full plate, and it might be time to talk to the boss about additional compensation with additional responsibilities.

30 Likes

it might be time to ask for a raise. Sometimes if your that valuable to the operation, then you can talk to them about money where it makes sense to both of you financially. Sounds like your a real team player considering all the hats your wearing… I think they would be sorry to lose you with all those different skills. thats a lotta lost training costs. it takes quite a bit of money to train you to this level and $26 an hour is good and i think montana has favorable tax laws. and this is good pay for a 1st year person…especially if your still hourly and can rack up overtime… salary…not so much

most people in 2021 got significant pay raises. i dont know a business that didnt have to give them in order to keep their good talent. I think about 20-30% higher pay if you didnt get a significant raise last year is in order due to the inflation most americans are facing.

21 Likes

I think you got hired as that but then they realized you were good enough to have you do everything why hire another guy?

But be honest with yourself before you do ask for a raise. Are you worth more? It sounds like it but sometimes people lie to themselves out of spite for the big bad boss making all the money

If you perform well at everything you listed, show up on time, leave on time. Don’t miss any days. Ask for minimum 30. If you are doing the work if 2 people I’d even consider asking current pay plus minimum wage in Montana. Any higher than that it might be easier to just hire another person. That would be my range though 30-36

14 Likes

Seems to me like you’re getting paid fair. You can definitely ask for a raise if they keep adding stuff to your list, but $26 /hr for production work seems great - especially in Montana…

What I would recommend is organize yourself so all the tasks listed above are done faster and more efficiently. For example, creating templates for the labels so you can make modifications in one click, creating a database of edible recipes, basically anything you can speed up and automate would be the route I would take. Obviously there are things like the crude oil and extraction that require your attention but some things in your day-day that can be automated and make your life easier.

6 Likes

The five guys down the street is hiring for $20.14/hr in rural Michigan.

10 Likes

Hell chick flia pays almost that lol. I’d definitely ask for raise but what I’ve found out it’s all about how u ask it… even if he says no keep a smile and then every time u see him jokingly say man I could really use that raise I love working here. Pressing the boss usually pisses them off , praising the boss however about how happy u r to have the job but u could just use a lil more bc u sure are doing a lot. Keep the smile big . Smiles take u a long way rather than going in there crying and cussing. And then I wouldn’t let up w the smiling man I can’t wait for that raise my family really needs it. Smiling I feel like I’m worth it and then make him admit it too …don’t u boss man after a good hug!

11 Likes

Thats what I am thinking. Dude is a champ. Sent him a DM with my thoughts on it. Good gig, just needs an extra hand to help him. He’s got drive to work and thats good, what the industry needs.

Look what dude does on his own, now imagine if he had a helping hand.

I’d definitely ask for more pay to. You do a lot of work, by yourself too, and the economy is going into the shitter once again. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Ask for a raise or/and an apprentice to help you. Sounds like you guys are growing and in order to keep up you’re going to need help for sure. The tasks are only going to keep piling up as the company grows

8 Likes

I agree with @anon56994712. I’d ask for 35/hr minimum

And to answer your question, you’re only getting “fucked over” if you’re boss doesn’t agree to a raise. Until you talk to your boss, it’s pretty unknown.

12 Likes

His boss sounds like good people. Won’t know until OP replies though.

Hope your boss gets you the raise if you ask OP, you deserve it for your work.

1 Like

If you don’t get a raise start putting together your resume on a company computer during your lunch break. Forget to close it out when you go back to work🤣

16 Likes

My dad’s an owner operator of large construction company…I been there 18 years…I watched the guys ask for raises a bunch. There was something about making sure he was having a good day also and the ones that kept hint dropping w humbleness not demanding got the most. They had to be strong worker like u though.

Make sure the relationship btw u to is in good standings and smile smile smile when u ask even when ur saying things that could possibly make him mad like I do everything! Make sure he feels u know the value of your job and are fair but you also want the company to prosper. And w a lil raise it always helps things

The guys demanding usually didn’t deserve a raise anyways

O and don’t be afraid to ask for the amount u want maybe dollar or 2 higher that way even he low balls it your right in the range

1 Like

Ask for what you need, make sure your wants are on the table. Be open and honest.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I might either ask for some help or just ask to be paid 30+ an hour, since I do feel like I do the job of 3 people throughout my work week.
I’m also a female! @GummyChad

9 Likes

in my experience framing it in terms of ‘value brought’ is key, and gently referring to the fact that you already like working there and a raise would be a thing that would keep you happy there. i’ve always had success/good response from a boss if i say it like ‘i’d understand if not now, and I’d like to know what I’d need to do or take on in order to get one’. sounds to me like you hold it down, so yeah like they said above, show up on time every single day, ask what else you could do to help (even though you’re doing a lot), etc. i think you’ve got a great shot. best of luck!

4 Likes

Keep track of your numbers, show him you deserve it. Celebrate each win.

You are doing great for Montana, would it hurt to ask, never, actually you should always argue for a yearly raise to keep up with inflation at the bare minimum.

Also your title is way off, techs on the east coast put bud in jars, your are in formulation, also before you make another recipe for them, tell him you have a percentage of sales for making a successfully selling product.

They can say no, but at least they know you are a Go Getter!

Go get it bro!

5 Likes

Ask for 30$ and a wook… And automatize everything in 2 moths so you ll be able to ha e 5.minutes to go take a dump and wash your hands properly afterwards HACCP style…

Edit: and if your making good quality have a sense off cleanliness, being able to account for residuals and a work ethic write even an sop now an then… Not just average rso type thingies… You should be able to calculate the product price, and ask for a 1% of the profits every now and then.

Your a good worker man if you do half the listed things.

7 Likes

You’re killing it for a year in, if you have all of those process down pat.

Agreed with what everyone else said, ask for a few more bucks an hour and a helping hand. Hopefully the boss realizes your value :call_me_hand:

If not, seems like you’ve been able to get some good hands on experience that someone else will definitely value

11 Likes

Sounds like my operation is similar to your boss’s, but in hemp. I would value this at $70k to $80k per year, AKA $35 to $40 per hour.

That assumes you are also consistent, reliable, respectful, follow directions, demonstrate high agency, own your mistakes, and generally treat the business like your own.

Most people believe they have the above qualities. Most people believe they are better than the average driver, too.

10 Likes