Wiped Film Parameters

At the point you begin to see your THC stream coming down, watch it and from there you can adjust the parameters to fit your material. If you want a little lighter color, decrease your temperature down to 178c or try letting off some vac.

You can increase yield w/ decreasing potency as you adjust the temperature. For example, I ran did 3 runs w/ 179c, 180c, and 181c and as my yield increased from 54%-67% at the highest temperature, my THC levels went from 96.3% @ 179c, down to 93% @ 181c.

If you are seeing swirls inside your distillate, you didn’t remove all the volatiles prior to distilling the thc. Try re-running the material again before proceeding with the entire run, or re-distill the THC distillate to remove.

31 Likes

Fantastic reply! Many thanks, will definitely be experimenting with these parameters.

1 Like

Excellent SOP! Heating of the crude in the flask with vacuum allows for lower heat wrap temp. Faster decarb when necessary. I have not run double external condensers on a 2" system; only single @ -20C and cold trap with -60C stinger chiller or dry ice. I would think that this tandem setup you are utilizing would further eliminate terps from entering the main. I have seen it happen with an Agilent dry scroll that was almost too powerful for the system; I was doing more throttling than one should. Pope could not answer me as well. Side note: When vacuuming down, are you opening up then closing the bulbs on the end of each stopcock? (Feed Top, Feed Flask, Cold Trap). While they still have a lot to learn; is one of the most useful tricks Pope engineers taught me.

3 Likes

Also to note, if properly done in the pot you can fill the feed flask to 1800ml immediately w/ little worry about it boiling up. Carbon scrub can also be utilized. While I agree that Cbleach is a fantastic product for SPD, i have not had success with it in the Pope. Filtered through silicate twice, but crude becomes very reactive and several runs are needed to to fully extract all THC. I would like to one day experiment more with it though to see if I can get it to work.

3 Likes

It sounds like you aren’t doing a full decarb before running? Pope doesn’t recommend a full decarb of the material? Interesting that you don’t go to full vac depth for best purity. I had some of my best (highest THC% runs) on a VTA when I was having vacuum “problems” and not feeding at full speed (i.e., much less than 1L/hr).

We are using bho made from dry trim, winterized in etoh:

After etoh recovery, we do a decarb/devol in the roto (90+c) 50 torr.

Using a 2" pope, we do a first pass at around 105/50c (evaporator/internal condenser) and run it around 1 torr. ~350ml/hr @ 35%

My second pass parameters are as follows:

Evap 148-155c
Int cond 98c
External condenser 0-10c
35% speed
~250ml/hr
Vac usually settles out at 50-100mt

We’re getting 96-97% product. no swirls, electric yellow color.

I’ve had to adjust evaporator temps based on what I was running, however. This is just the process we use on our in house material of known quality. This doesn’t work for all material.

The pic doesn’t do it justice, always looks darker than it does in person.

11 Likes

Had to run clean up on some distillate made on an spd and my evaporator temps were way lower and I still didn’t achieve the best color, but it was better than it was when I got it. Got about 80% return.

Had to run this at 135c/98c and 50-100mt to keep the red streaks out.

Before

After

No swirls, and it’ll look fine in cartridges/buckets. No word on potency yet, but I’d say we’re in the middle 90s.

4 Likes

This is a test result from our cart disty (made with the 148-155/98 sop) dosed with 3.5% terps.

6 Likes

Yup, very good point! One has to purge the backsides of all the stopcocks!!!

1 Like

Thank you! Nice work, color’s fantastic on that final pass

Below is an image for those of you wondering what the “Backside of the stopcock” is.
(I know, it sounds dirty)

4 Likes

That reminds me! The stopcock on the cold trap is also a good spot to isolate anything that may collect there. I purge the backside, then turn it so the hole is sideways. If I get a few troublesome terps that are ruining my vac stability (sometimes it only takes a few drops) I can drain them to the backside of the stopcock and isolate them from the system.

3 Likes

I hate that stopcock with all my heart. Can’t believe it took Pope this long to finally update that.

5 Likes

I can agree on that. The problem is that it’s the closest one to the pump, and has the most volatiles sitting right on top of it. Secondary cold trap might mitigate the impact.

leave the valve open and run tubing to glass adaptor with a flask off that stopcock and some dry ice, it will remove all the volatiles out of the system and stop fucking up the vac.

10 Likes

Not a bad Idea! I’ll have to try that. :ok_hand:t4:

Any one know of what solution to use in my whiped film for the chiller and heaters? I’ve herd for chillers use iso but I’m sure there is something better anyone can help me out?

Syltherm

6 Likes

Thanks. What’s the cost and where would I buy it should we just google it?

Just noticed you have a link lol

It is very expensive, there aren’t a lot of options out there for high heat or deep cold.

1 Like