Winterizing with 190 denatured

Just picked up 2 5 gallon pales from downtown hydro of this

Will this work for winterizing crude? I was told it was but want to make sure before I fill up a bunch of crude!

what is denatured with?

2 Likes

It says n-Heptane if you zoom in. These guys are selling a bunch of knock off versions of our products.

4 Likes

I’m sorry about that I’m just a consumer I had no idea it’s a knock off. Will this work for winterizing?

2 Likes

No sweat, I’m not trying to keep people from trying their gear…just pointing out that they are chasing our product line but aren’t really sourcing the same quality. If its cheap or something, give it a shot.

To get back to the point though, the heptane can cause problems with winterization since it is very lipophilic.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info ya I’m not a big fan of the place but that’s where my friend likes to go I prefer Xtractor depot. It was cheap I’m just worried about using it as I’m about to winterize a significant amount and have never used a heptane mix on winterizing.

We sell heptane denatured as an extraction solvent and taxes paid 190 proof or 99% isopropyl for winterization.

If you start going through a lot of solvent feel free to hit me up directly. Maybe we can beat their pricing.

I’m using 5-10 gallons a week of pure eth 200 proof. This was a test since it was basically half price an they said it would work. I was concerned it wouldn’t cuz how strong of a solvent the heptane was and like your saying it’s very lipophilic. I’m in California

1 Like

@Photon_noir has preached the good word about isopropyl with some added water (16% or so) for winterization. You will need to start with 99% isopropyl to avoid contamination.

4 Likes

I’ve never added water before that sounds great I’ll have to give that a try

1 Like

If you need a 99% Isopropyl supplier we carry 55 gallon units.

2 Likes

How much are they?

What does adding water do? I thought we needed to use pure as possible? Is it aiding in solubility?

2 Likes

In my view the water aids lipid nucleation, creating an efficient crash out.

3 Likes

MSRP on a single drum is $900 and goes down based on volume and/or order frequency.

1 Like

Right on that sounds great. How would one be delivered to California? @Photon_noir I would love to hear about your adding water? Now when rotovaping the buchnered solution after winterizing with water n alcohol. Where does the water go? Stays in the alcohol mix when vaping out leaving oil behind as normal?

We ship nationwide. Email Sales@carbon-Chemistry.com to get quoted.

2 Likes

Things to avoid due to excessive lipophylicity are:

1. Isopropyl alcohol and its azeotrope unless doing very specific things with it, usually in small batches.
  2. 200 proof ethanol
  3. Heptane (especially mixed isomers) denatured ethanol without water.

Things to use instead:

1. 190 proof ethanol
  2. 190 proof ethanol (about 5% water in the ethanol portion) denatured with pure n-heptane
2 Likes

So 190 denatured would be preferable?

So this 5 gallon will not work for winterizing? @Photon_noir