Winterizing terp fraction?

Hey now
I don’t have dewax capabilities at the moment, and been making some of those jars of hot jar crc sugar
Wondering, could one dissolve the terp fraction in pentane and place it (in a jar of course) in the dry ice cooler to winterize?
I mean I could try I to see if it would work, just wondering if anybody has any feedback

2 Likes

No but give it a go curious as well
:+1:

5 Likes

I’m curious on the solvation affects between the fats and pentane/terpenes?

Anyone have any thoughts?

3 Likes

youll lose terpenes when you purge solvent via azeotrope. however i dont work with pentane very much unfortunately (at least since I have been in cannabis) so i cannot speak to it specifically. you might lose a bunch and really impact your terpene profile or it might not be particularly noticeable.

@BrotanicalMatt pentane is very non polar. lipids, by definition, are non polar. like dissolves like with regard to polarity - so that means that the fats and waxes are going to go right into that pentane. and theyre not gonna wanna come out. its probably not a very good solvent for winterization.

1 Like

I agree but neither is butane yet with low temps they drop out
Reason I d like to see his results

4 Likes

What about lipid affinity to terpenes compared to that of pentane?

They are both non pole but terpes are a hydrocarbons too

2 Likes

This thought I what led me to this idea

1 Like

I was daydreaming about a tech I want to try with pentane with an almost same
Dilema can one winterize at -80C with pentane haven t gotten to try yet

1 Like

Acetone is a very good winterizing solvent and doesn’t require super cold temps.

Pentane (bp 36C) and acetone (bp 56C)form a nice azeotrope. The solution of the two has a bp of 32C at a 21% pentane by weight.

Not sure what the polarity of this mix would be, but it’s worth trying. Winterizing in acetone, filtering, then adding pentane to aid solvent removal post filter may be a good approach.

4 Likes

So if I where to take 10ml of terps and add them to 79 ml of acetone and 21ml of pentane you are saying the 100 ml acetone /pentane will boil of at 32C
Woah that is beautifull good thinking Sherlock :pray::pray:

6 Likes

Yes, but it’s by weight, not volume. So 79g acetone to 21g of pentane.

4 Likes

The scent treshhold of acetone is low 30ppm but I think doable
Gona give it a shot
Thx

1 Like

I’m always happy to share knowledge! :+1:

If I may, I’d suggest doing it at least two ways.

1. Winterize with acetone only, filter, then add appropriate amount of pentane to assist purge.

2. Premix acetone and pentane, then winterize, filter, and purge.

I’m super curious as to which way works better. I’ve done #1 before, but I’ve always wanted to try #2.

4 Likes

I ll do them both yust won t be the real deal cause I am gona use fats and waxes that are lefties from prior winterization for i have no thc mother liqueur at hand nor cbd :cry::cry:

2 Likes

That’s actually not a bad way to try it out though, even just to see which one melts and seperates fats better.

1 Like

@Apothecary36 you reading this :grinning::wink:

4 Likes

Man o man this is the method to do large volume diamond production
@BG305 warm extract bho winterize in pentane/acetone evap and go
Nice realy :+1:

4 Likes

Methanol and pentane are immiscible :wink:

2 Likes

Have you seen the temp 32C
Acetone is more grass if you ask me
Not sure but fairly
Blast a shitload of oil dunk in freezer and winterize then evap
With such a low bp is gona be a breeze
Yust imagine 10 kg of diamonds a day pfff nice

3 Likes

Post acetone/pentane winterization and filtration would you roto or oven the solution to purge the solvents? What’s a suggested time/temp to retain the most terps?