Will shatter shatter without DEWAX?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? How to chill your solvent without icing the tank? and coils? You saying run the solvent through coils that are submerged in let’s say ISO and dry ice prior to hitting the material?

2 Likes

Ya drying material will make it more stable but will make it darker and less terpy. Drying the material in a vacuum freezer would be the ultimate solution

1 Like

I have had success doing this without a noticeable difference in appearance and flavor. You can definitely overcook your material, which is why i recommend a AC in the room for a permanent solution. Obviously CRC is good here too.

@Maple_syrup Yah you get the idea. Get a coil like this and submerge it in a bucket or cooler filled with your preferred heat transfer fluid, then add dry ice to the bucket. The room temp solvent travels through the coil, cools down super efficiently, and squirts into your column. I use automobile coolant from your local auto parts store. Most people use flammable solvent for this… I don’t know why.

7 Likes

Debatable.

1 Like

That’s why dewaxing is supposed to be done in stages and gradients of temperatures. Thca can’t crash if it doesn’t have the time to stay still.

3 Likes

If you use a more propane heavy solvent, if it’s a terpy strain or if you purged at a high temp that could be why.

3 Likes

Everything I say is debatable because I’m just a processor, not a scientist :slight_smile:

But specifically what is debatable ?

2 Likes

good point. but most don’t do that. How do you suggest doing that? is there a temp and time you know of that will freeze wax lipids etc but not crash thca?

3 Likes

How do you dewax properly? I took ur class in Portland and noticed the dewaxing column was bubbling at the bottom thru the sight glass. How was that happening?

1 Like

Injection coil getting you colder than cooling the tank. It’s never gotten cold enough for me. And I like to know what temperature it is vs it changing as the coil can’t keep up.

@J12 if you were to dewax and stage it. -40c for two hours. Then transfer to second chamber and set that for -60c for two hours then collection. By keeping it moving and not letting it stay still for that long will prevent it from sitting in one place for too long. I am still not entirely convinced that a significant amount of thca crashes out in that time anyway, but I would like to check somehow.

6 Likes

Depends on how saturated the solution is

3 Likes

Hi hear ya. that’s some time though. you would only get 2 runs a day. when i drewaxed for an hour after I already ran cold with a coil this is what was left in my 5 micron filter plate.

11 Likes

redissolved it and this came out. never dewaxed again after that. Just run cold and fast

23 Likes

so buddy asked me to try heating with heat gun, cooling and flipping (and repeat as many times as necessary) which seems to be yielding some pretty good results and creating a much more “shatter/glass/breakable” end product. Anyone try this besides myself?

10 Likes

Thanks, @midsfactory that’s great! Because you use that system, I’m sure you find results but for the time it takes for the tane to travel through that condensing coil, it will drop quite a bit in temp? That’s definitely and addition I will be adding, so thanks again! I’ll probably stick with the ISO, I guess for the simple “clean” factor but your Anti-Freeze makes total sense.

How about a question on the pour for you guys from the honey pot? I like to get quite a bit of the tane out prior to the pour, a bit thinner than a molasses. Pour on to a room temp sheet covered with parchment. It then goes into the oven (90 these days) and I wait until the pour gets to just about oven temp before I pull a vac. I’ve been going full vac at that point, which is just over 600 in my set up. I get a decent size muffin and it drops in a fair amount of time, between 15 minutes to 45. Everything is looking great at this point but as well, final product is softer than hoped for. So my question is, can I pour better or change up my approach? I have not found much inof in this forum on the pour technique.

Most likely working cause you’re burning off some terps

8 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking as well. Very terpy slabs. Tried some samples and it’s got a very nice taste. I’m just glad it’s not fucking rubber anymore

2 Likes

Did you go directly to the 5 micron disc. How did it flow?

If it was slow there’s a reason behind that.

Whenever I dewax vs running fast and cold, I get far larger yields.

Dewaxing/winterizing takes time. Doesn’t matter how fast you can get cold, which is actually not the best thing to do.

When you winterize with ethanol. Normally one would do a room temp filter, through multiple grades of microns. Traditionally 20/8-11/1. Then freezer, then cryo freezer. Have you ever tried putting it straight into the freezer and went straight to a 1 or 5 micron filter and it fucks your shit all up.

I hate how long it takes to dewax, too. I really do.

4 Likes

the run went a little less then normal speed, but decent flow. Ive also dewaxed in the past winterizing the run afterwards and there was some wax but very minimal not enough in my personal opinion to dewax every run and lose more thca. I was convinced for awhile that i needed to thoroughly dewax to grow good diamonds. Not the case. I pack my columns the day before and put them in the freezer. My coil is good and cold and my collection is already vacd down. when i’m ready i pull out my column put it on the collection vac it down and blast. my columns take any ware from 2.5 to 3 mins to fill all the way up and then i dump 2 mins later. i’ve soaked for up to 10 mins and saw no increase in yield so i found my sweet spot. That cold and quick your really not pulling any fats with that procedure. I’m all about doing tests and experiments to see what works best and for FF for me that’s it.

5 Likes

Can’t you just run more solvent over the materials if your running super cold to pick it all up? I’m kinda in @J12’s boat here fast and cold. Dewax isn’t needed.

Imo anyways

5 Likes