Do I need the dewax column for Precision X10?

Our lab is brand new to butane extraction, and our lab manager instructed us to remove the dewax column from the X10. One of our other lab locations out of state instructed us to do so, saying we do not need it. We do not know enough to agree or disagree, hoping to get some clarity on the matter. Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Unless you’re stalling for a long period of time with high surface area packing then there really isn’t a huge difference in extract outcome

1 Like

If you are running cold and with CRC dewax is pretty redundant and quite the slow down.

5 Likes

It is common to remove them.

Also, grats on getting that setup and I am very happy you came here to get some extra opinions! Welcome!

4 Likes

Rather than removing it, can you plumb a bypass?

Taking some other mother fuckers opinion is all well and good, but if you plumb it for cold and add a bypass you can actually demonstrate what it does and does not add.

Be data driven from day one. If the lab manager can’t wrap their head around that, they might need replaced…

Even if you don’t have In House analytics, learning to follow the cannabinoids not the cadabinoids will serve you well.

There are folks what swear by “dewaxing”

…and others that have dug into what they filtered out and found significant cannabinoid content.

Cannabinoid Affinity for Waxes/Lipids

9 Likes

Imo: Run fast and cold with no dewax and you’ll be fine as long as you get to 0.3um in filtering. Dewaxing is more important if you’re making eho.

.22um

2 Likes

This is exactly what I’ve been saying from the jump, we need to physically see what the differences are, using actual data to make our decisions. Unfortunately, I am low on the totem pole, but with a chemistry background. I am usually dismissed when I make such ludicrous noise. Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Aim at the lab manager position…if they can’t wrap their head around “data driven” they don’t deserve the title.

6 Likes

I use my dewax column on my x10 as a surge tank/prefilter.

The material columns are slow to clear solvent and are not jacketed on my x10 so having a surge tank to dump solution into helps with runtimes and allows me to prefilter before my crc while keeping positive pressure on the crc at all times. I do not chill the coil.

1 Like

Trying to talk @LunaTechnologies into a surge tank…

1 Like