Will nitrogen compress butane gas into a liquid or just push liquid?

With some common sense and a set of balls…

11 Likes

Their linear algebra and Lie Groups are also worth while.

2 Likes

44North: Do you have a certified Organic Farm?
Curious

I know that the n2 , even though it’s inert, will bond with hydrocarbons and you will vent out hydrocarbons when venting n2.
We switched to argon, more expensive but way more inert.

Don’t know about n2 switching phase of hydrocarbons.

Start at 2:25

Edit: I thought you posted how do I pull a vacuum on a butane tank.

Ummm yeah I’d say a venturi vacuum pump/water based vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on a tank with tane but I don’t see why you’d really need to.

Final edit: watch the video anyways it’s good for knowledge

2 Likes

Nice input @Costello thanks for the post and sharing your experience.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you mean about the N2 bonding to the hydrocarbons. That doesn’t make any sense to me but I am open to learn.

1 Like

Follow the 80% rule and use correctly rated pressure vessels (containing PRV’s but even without PRV’s…) and this will never happen. Ever.

There are not many systems on the market that utilize an n2 assist with an operating pressure that high, and again if they are the equipment should be spec’d to avoid the exact situation described.

1 Like

It was a facility that I was visiting…

not directed towards you! just an open PSA in the reply to your post

I understand…your notes about set up parameters are very note worthy.

im gonna ask a basic question- what psi is a bic lighter typically?

what’s in your Bic?

pressure depends on temp and solvent blend…

3 Likes

charts are fun but easy numbers are better- it doest take tons of pressure to compress some butane into a liquid but in the context of the thread- ice and salt. Like i had said youd need to freeze it all to get the nitrogen out anyways.

That chart is as simple as it gets but here ya go…

5 Likes

not “freeze”.

that is from liquid ==> solid.

just “condense”; turn your solvent (blend) to a liquid.

you can use temp OR pressure or a combination of both.

your Bic has a blend of Propane and Butane so that it works below zero C (no pressure = Thumper no haz fire).

3 Likes

Wow that’s why lighters don’t work well in the winter! :disguised_face:

2 Likes

Also why they don’t use straight n butane for household fuel, enter isobutane/ propane!

1 Like

Propane is a wonderful propellant. I still remember 17yr old me trying to figure out why there is propane in my butane cans.
Or butane in PAM cooking spray.

3 Likes

i think they use iso butane thats why I need to put it in my armpit when its cold