Will nitrogen compress butane gas into a liquid or just push liquid?

Will nitrogen gas pressures condense n butane gas into a liquid or just push butane while it’s already in the liquid state ?

1 Like

You don’t need nitrogen, just hang the tank from the porch and let gravity do the work

34 Likes

#windchimetek

30 Likes

If you have to ask that question…you really need to get someone on staff that can help you design the chemical extraction process. SAFETY FIRST.9

13 Likes

You tell me…

24 Likes

In guessing that means the answer is yes it will condense the gas into liquid ?:unamused:. I’m aware of butanes phase chart . But I wasn’t sure if it was different with another gas Causing the pressure. I was worried maybe there’s some variables I was not aware of.

3 Likes

inb4 this cats blows himself up trying to go critical

12 Likes

Thanks, Your a good guy

1 Like

Yea safety first that’s why I’m here asking questions. I also could really use a mansion on the beach but it’s not quite in my budget at the moment

2 Likes

I thought this was a reasonable question. The answer is in the phase diagram, but wondering if another gas in the mix would change how butane condenses from gas to liquid isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it shows critical thinking, and that he is attempting to better understand the process. We aren’t born experts, but gain knowledge through paying attention and asking questions.

41 Likes

right its better to ask a question some may deem stupid/simple and be safe than not asking it and getting hurt or worse. better safe than sorry

11 Likes

remember to freeze the gas and then purge the nitrogen or it could get high pressure when warm.

5 Likes

if you add enough nitrogen you can more easily condense your butane at room temperature

7 Likes

Freeze the nitrogen gas ?

Thank you :pray:

no freeze the hydrocarbon to zero pressure so all that comes out is the nitrogen. you dont want nitrogen in the system.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to have to just purge my nitrogen and a little butane gas out into the atmosphere. I chill everything but without a boat load of dry ice it’s hard for me to keep my butane at 0 pressure

im no pro= i lose alot of gas but rather that than not knowing whats in the tank. Im gonna try straight butane.

2 Likes

I definitely feel you on that . Thanks for the tips :pray:

butane shouldnt be hard to get to zero pressure. its the mixes where you need dry ice. For butane I could do it with an ice salt slurry. any air that gets in somehow wil also be an issue

2 Likes