Wild Forage Booty

Was a good maitake season this year and I ate this one for weeks. Super dense and meaty

11 Likes

The roots smell just like root beer

13 Likes

Sassafras?

3 Likes

Sassafras out the ass here, yep. I kept smelling the leaves which led me to ID the plant and now Iā€™m down a rabbit hole.

10 Likes

The root bark tea is a pretty color. Itā€™s bitter but smells wonderful. Iā€™m going to reduce this down and mix it with honey to make a syrup. I think it will keep for a few weeks at least refrigerated like that.

I read heat destroys the oil. If that is the case, then this plant is Very interesting because a small glass last night had noticeable and pleasant effects.

12 Likes

Sally will definitely make you feel delightful. Iā€™d love to make my own root beer

6 Likes

The phenylpropenes in the root bark are carcinogenic.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve read into it and need to more but I found that was based off a study done with rats that is now considered questionable and yet I donā€™t think the research has been revisited in 60 years.

If you have info from modern studies Iā€™d definitely like to learn more.

1 Like

Also I read the roots will leech toxins from the soil so you have to be mindful of that.

Iā€™m treading lightly as so far I have found a lot of contradictory information.

1 Like

Sassafras is a hallucinogen thatā€™s also known as methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA).

4 Likes

Contains a precursor for mda, which is itself the precursor for mdma if Iā€™m not mistaken.

However the initial precursor must have some activity as well if that is correct.

Edit: looks like it can be a precursor for either, and I was wrong about mda being a precursor itself (I think lol)

3 Likes

I believe it does, have you ever heard of ā€œoilahauscaā€?

Certain combinations of essential oils act to inhibit specific enzymes to allow for phenylproenes like safrole, myristicin, elemecin, etc. to get you high by converting to another chemical inside the body.

I think Iā€™ve read that they donā€™t turn into an amphetamine derivative but something else that I canā€™t remember.

You can get really high off of cinnamon oil, nutmeg oil, and another component that Iā€™m forgetting. Think maybe peppermint.

http://herbpedia.wikidot.com/oilahuasca-activation

9 Likes

Itā€™s awesome. We would go pick them in central Florida in high school.

From a couple years back. Gotta love those midwest yellows! Foraging has definitely become one of my favorite hobbies over the last few years. :man_cook:

14 Likes

There is a route from mda to mdma . Yes safeole is the main natural precursor.
With a little reading one could see that a butane sassafrasā€™s extraction would yield sass oil, and then possibly crystallize out the safrole by leaving soil vent in it and cold crashing, theoretically
The first butane extraction I did was with fennel seeds, and showed the oil to a chemist at a natural soap company, and he was amazed(2010)

7 Likes

Shulgin calls these essential amphetamines as each of the 10 essential oils aminates to certain amphetamines or phenethylamines.
And took 4 tbsp of ground nutmeg the first time, like a heavy edible dose but cannabis like that lasts all day. But itā€™s nasty

2 Likes

I think what youā€™re referring to are compounds like TMA-2, if Iā€™m remembering correctly the compounds that are produced in vivo from oilahausca are different than the corresponding amphetamines that shulgin synthesizes from these naturally occurring allylbenzenes.

In vivo, chemicals like safrole or myristicin follow a different pathway and arrive at a completely different class of compounds.

3 Likes

We have Chaste Tree growing everywhere. This was the ground up yield of an hour of forage.

13 Likes

What is that and whatā€™s it used for?

Itā€™s a bush that has medicinal leaves and berries. Itā€™s a hormone regulator for estrogen. Helps ladies with many bodily processes, and the name comes from medieval times when they would give it to dudes to reduce libido.

It is also used with horses for calming down geldings and improving the health of pregnant and senior mares.

10 Likes