Why wont my ice water hash yield any oil after pressing?

Made some ice water hash with cured trim(freshly harvested off nice indoor grown matetial). Combined all microns and freeze dried using Harvest Right freeze dryer. Used a total of 16 hr 8 hrs freeze 8 hrs dry shelf at 40°F Finished dry yield was 9%. The run went great but now im trying to press this using a pikes peak press and its not juicing any oil. I have never had this happen and am confused. Is it possible these trichome heads just dont contain oil or did i over freeze dry it or what?

Only thing u can do is dissolve in alcohol and do some tlc or get it tested maybe @cyclopath can help with tlc procedure

2 Likes

Worst case ill just load it into my extraction column and send it with some trim. Its just weird there is no oil present. When i run this same material through c02 i get 13% crude yields.

Cbg?!?

If you mix it with trim, at least run some trim without so you can assess success.

13% at what potency?!?

“Same material”? == your freeze dried hash?

Or “same trim not bubbled”? Huge difference.

Yeah, if you pulled the terpenes (and you may well have, I’ve not played here) then it ain’t gonna squish for shit.

Even pulling too much water is problematic when squishing flower

1 Like

Looks like fully dehydrated heads, best bet is to sieve them & see what quality of melt you have prior to squishing so then you don’t do a large press & come up surprised by no yield. Add a cold trap or two inbetween your freeze dryer & the vacuum as well. Collect any Terps that escape while drying. But to me it looks like you done took all the grease out the heads, meaning you just have a brittle very dry head structure with little to no moisture also resulting in a much lower profile overall.

4 Likes

Nah man THC and for sure on the moisture content on the material.

Degreased smh atleast it will sprinkle nicely on a joint :joy:

1 Like

Is that stuff sticky at all? Was the bud outdoor?

The hash is dry as sand. Indoor material less than 6 weeks since the chop. I am going to research some new parameters with the Harvest Right freeze dryer and see whats up. If anyone had a lead on some good times for that unit it would be appreciated.

I usually put my trays on dry ice as soon as I’m done scooping from the bags so they’re pretty frozen before going in but I still run 4hr freeze time. 45-50 tray temp and 16 or so hrs dry time.

Total run time is roughly 24 to 27hrs IME

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with that press, but I have seen cheap presses on the market that don’t get anywhere near the required psi needed for a good squirt.

From what I’ve been able to play with on occasion as I don’t always get to use freeze dryers, but using a 4-6 hour freeze down & prepping your trays on dry ice as well as mentioned above, will lessen the degradation or loss of content from the bio, then allow to dry for the following 8-12 hours depending on freeze time. Sieve product to determine quality of melt & overall profile, then it would like to adjust consistency prior to pressing, add time after sieve testing. But always make sure product has been sieved then packed into squish micron bag, 2-3 layer bag bricks. Keep everything in a room that’s temp controlled to atleast 60f I would prefer to do this in a room around 35-45f for optimal color & preservation. Temp on trays 40-45. Then running the cold traps as cold as you can get them will allow for additional moisture to be sublimated off under vacuum. So you may even allot for a faster drying time.

5 Likes

Solution for me in this case, would be to look at what you got from the wash through a scope. That will tell you what you are actually pressing. Its definitely not a bulbous trichome. And a harvest right freeze dryer wont evaporate the oil in a trichome. So its not overdrying. You dont want moisture in my experience when pressing bubblehash.

5 Likes

I like this thought i will check it out under a scope, part of my confusion this run with the harvest right was that with previous runs i dried for 24 hrs and had great results on the pikes peak press. 16 hrs harvest right time total for this stuff…

Only thing overdrying in a freeze dryer could do, would lower your total terpene concentration. I freeze dry 24/hrs at 50* and have zero problems. I am convinced it has nothing to do with the freeze drying. What temp are you pressing? Some strains need the heat. I haven’t succesfully pressed anything at these Instagram boi temps I see people post.

3 Likes

Have you been able to successfully press rosin from ice water hash made from cured trim?

Was it stored properly? If humidity around you is low couple that with cold temps outside could leave you with some seriously dry indoor conditions.

Yes, definately and as always depends on the cultivar i have noticed that with cured material the color is just rarely that blonde or white that you see from fresh frozen material

Interesting. Anyway, we are experiencing the same issues as you are, but our input is dried rapidly, not cured. Meaning the trichomes are likely burst even before extraction. Microscope has confirmed this

2 Likes

I pressed at 165°F 35psi then 60psi and finished with 80psi with a very low yield. Then at 175°F same psi sequence and nothing. Both presses were through the pure pressure 36um bags. Double bagged to prevent blowout.